The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Open Letter...  (Read 14293 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 07:39:21 AM »

It is unreasonable to expect every ham to keep track of what nets are going to pop up on what frequency.

There are not that many nets and if you have been around a long time you know there around and steer clear. It is not a big deal to QSY but it seems some would suggest it is a free for all shout match. That is not was Ham radio was but it seems "modern" want to change rules that worked well in past for many decades. 

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 07:49:15 AM »

There are not that many nets and if you have been around a long time you know there around and steer clear.... 

I remember quite a few years ago, that I once heard a net on 3.782.1234 MCs.......... I haven't used that freq since. Roll Eyes
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 07:59:52 AM »

Doing so becomes a broadcast and that's prohibited. Also your amp tubes are probably melting by now.

Unless you own an Alpha.  Remember the advertisement back in the day with a brick sitting on the key?
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 08:32:56 AM »

Well it is kinda a unwritten rule when a scheduled net needs frequency, you QSY.   
Wrong.

See FCC vs. Misek et al (W1CWR and the Liberty Net, c. 1999) for clarification on the matter. There are other examples if one bothers to dig.

First come; first served. Period.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 08:37:15 AM »

I once heard a net on 3.782.1234 MCs.......... I haven't used that freq since. Roll Eyes

Trying to remember....wasn't there a crystal oscillator freq in console TVs back in the day, that was somewhere around that frequency?  I remember grabbing those crystals out of old discarded sets, and using them on 80 or 75.  Seemed like the stamped frequency on them went to five or six significant digits.... maybe in the neighborhood of 3883.12345 kc or something.  Lots of people had them, and dropped them into simple homebrew transmitters.

Dunno.

N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 08:45:47 AM »

I once heard a net on 3.782.1234 MCs.......... I haven't used that freq since. Roll Eyes
Trying to remember....wasn't there a crystal oscillator freq in console TVs back in the day, that was somewhere around that frequency?
3.579545MHz is the rock you're after.  Wink
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2018, 08:57:10 AM »

My rub with traffic nets today is that they are still using voice.  Digital is faster and more efficient.  Also, what soured me on the traffic nets is that I got 3 messages in a short time and when I delivered them to the 3 recipients  I was told that they died a while ago. 

One thing is for sure, whether these nets are good or bad, there will always someone who will get on the net frequency 1 minute before the net starts and monopolize it just because they can rather than select another frequency.  Makes you think you are on 7.200.
Art
K1FBI

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2018, 09:01:33 AM »

Doing so becomes a broadcast and that's prohibited. Also your amp tubes are probably melting by now.

Unless you own an Alpha.  Remember the advertisement back in the day with a brick sitting on the key?

Yes, great ad! Unfortunately my budget says Heathkit or Ameritron.
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2018, 11:13:12 AM »

I have one question. Can an open letter be wrote if that same person has a closed mind on the subject.? What is the big deal if a couple of Donkeys mess with a net on 80 meters. Try an hold a net on 7.200 just a thought. This is why I am studying for Extra Class to get out of general area.Have a safe and blessed day.73s
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2018, 12:34:33 PM »

No need to ask if the frequency is in use if you haven't heard any activity in the past 5 minutes. Since no one owns the frequency you can't "hold" it in radio silence.

The standing by for pre-pre-Net check-in nonsense doesn't cut it either.

LOL,they will have you on Santa's Naughty list from every Net around the globe. LOL Now we all know that these nets are Important stuff & you can ask anyone who wastes their time on them & they will tell you how they are saving the world from something but they are just not sure what it is.Waste 5 minutes of your life & listen to any of them & you can get a weather report,medical report,how many squirrels their dog chased yesterday afternoon,& what they had for breakfast, lunch,& what's on the menu for dinner over & over & over again for the entire important bunch.Saving the world one checkin at a time & as many say just check me in for the numbers.LOL I guess them numbers are Important stuff? {:>) The nets are almost Important as those Contests that wipe out the bands most every weekend because the ARRL says it's a great way to make lots of noise on all except the WARC Bands but I'm sure because they are so out of touch that next they will say we should have WARC BAND Contest weekends at least 48 weekends a year like so many other Stupid ideas they push.By the way you are 5x9 & thanks for checking into the Loose Nut Net & 73.   Cheesy Grin Wink

Clayton
W4KVW
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2018, 01:12:33 PM »

Try an hold a net on 7.200 just a thought.
Not an issue if you have enough amplifier and antenna.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2018, 02:13:40 PM »

Antenna will not fix that unless it is very directive and can notch out 40 db or more

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2018, 03:00:55 PM »

Antenna will not fix that unless it is very directive and can notch out 40 db or more
An electrically steerable null is a wonderful thing. A legal null is an even better one.

I look for the latter to eventually deal with much of that particular "problem".
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2018, 04:14:08 PM »

Lets not make fun of nets.  After zombie apocalypse they will be very very useful.Just an open ended thought. Be safe. Turning it back to net control.
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2018, 04:19:40 PM »

Lets not make fun of nets.  After zombie apocalypse they will be very very useful.Just an open ended thought. Be safe. Turning it back to net control.

Cheesy Grin Wink  LOL now that there is FUNNY I don't care who you are.I actually think some of these nets have a lot of Zombies that check into them or at least they smell like it anyways when you pass them at a Hamfest.  Shocked Roll Eyes Tongue Back over to NUT control. hehe

Clayton
W4KVW
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: