The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Open Letter...  (Read 14133 times)
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2018, 05:11:39 PM »

Lets not make fun of nets.  After zombie apocalypse they will be very very useful.Just an open ended thought. Be safe. Turning it back to net control.

Cheesy Grin Wink  LOL now that there is FUNNY I don't care who you are.I actually think some of these nets have a lot of Zombies that check into them or at least they smell like it anyways when you pass them at a Hamfest.  Shocked Roll Eyes Tongue Back over to NUT control. hehe

Clayton
W4KVW
Nut control. Good grief!  Cheesy Wink
KOP

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2018, 09:50:35 AM »

Lets not make fun of nets.  After zombie apocalypse they will be very very useful.Just an open ended thought. Be safe. Turning it back to net control.

Chuck, did you change writers ? This one actually has a definable sense of humor. I recommend you keep them on staff  . Grin Grin

I considered a microwave oven magnetron and a 4' dish as a drone-killer. The ERP would be on the order of a hundred thousand watts or so. ~anon

November 28, 2018, 09:16:04 AM
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2018, 10:36:03 AM »

My rub with traffic nets today is that they are still using voice.  Digital is faster and more efficient.  Also, what soured me on the traffic nets is that I got 3 messages in a short time and when I delivered them to the 3 recipients  I was told that they died a while ago. 

One thing is for sure, whether these nets are good or bad, there will always someone who will get on the net frequency 1 minute before the net starts and monopolize it just because they can rather than select another frequency.  Makes you think you are on 7.200.
Art

Agreed, it's been demonstrated many times over a few decades that traffic via voice results in garbled messages. CW is a lot better but a chatty digital mode needs to come to the forefront eventually and be used for traffic, especially if it can work in worse conditions than CW, which is almost certain to be true of any digital mode. Jammers might not be able to stay on top of a digital mode. I tried to use a repeater that was designated for emergency comms after the Northridge earthquake. Some sicko was jamming it for several days, making sick comments, etc... Voice comms just opens things up to abusive psychos.

I'm underfunded right now but eventually I'll have a portable rig that forwards cellphone generated texts so that all the health and welfare messaging can be done by the very individuals that need to get their message out. A ham in Texas offered such a rig last year and I've completely lost the link to him so I don't know if it's still available. It might be great if every club had one. Facebook has a way to text a health and welfare post and have it appear on a user's page, maybe it would be good to integrate everything with Facebook, or Twitter or whatever is in vogue at the time...

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
N0XAX

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2018, 11:15:19 PM »

FCC Enforcement?  Hahahahahahahahahahahaha! To the original op, welcome to 2018 on the amateur bands! Far be it from me to tell you how to spend your time, but that post was a waste of time.
K1FBI

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2018, 04:12:31 AM »

Agreed, it's been demonstrated many times over a few decades that traffic via voice results in garbled messages. CW is a lot better but a chatty digital mode needs to come to the forefront eventually and be used for traffic, especially if it can work in worse conditions than CW, which is almost certain to be true of any digital mode. Jammers might not be able to stay on top of a digital mode. I tried to use a repeater that was designated for emergency comms after the Northridge earthquake. Some sicko was jamming it for several days, making sick comments, etc... Voice comms just opens things up to abusive psychos.

I'm underfunded right now but eventually I'll have a portable rig that forwards cellphone generated texts so that all the health and welfare messaging can be done by the very individuals that need to get their message out. A ham in Texas offered such a rig last year and I've completely lost the link to him so I don't know if it's still available. It might be great if every club had one. Facebook has a way to text a health and welfare post and have it appear on a user's page, maybe it would be good to integrate everything with Facebook, or Twitter or whatever is in vogue at the time...
Maybe Verizon and the FCC could get together and include a free Extra license with every new phone contract. Higher end phones can also include a florescent colored safety vest.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2018, 04:35:28 AM »

Maybe Verizon and the FCC could get together and include a free Extra license with every new phone contract.

As far fetched as this sounds, it is within the realm of possibly given what has happened to ham radio

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2018, 06:55:27 AM »

Maybe Verizon and the FCC could get together and include a free Extra license with every new phone contract.

As far fetched as this sounds, it is within the realm of possibly given what has happened to ham radio

Nope.
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2018, 08:31:45 AM »

1) I park my mobile in the center of town after a disaster 2) I invite the public to bring their smartphones 3) they connect to my wifi and tell their friends and family they are ok using communication methods they and their friends and family are accustomed to. I don't see much of a problem...

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
KOP

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2018, 09:30:40 AM »

You passed the exams, at whatever level, that were available to you at that time. If a code requirement had been reduced or eliminated, that was beyond your control. So from my point of view, if you have an FCC issued license, you passed those tests, and you are an Amateur Radio Operator. Period.

I don’t care if you’re a No Code Tech or a Tech Plus or an Old school Tech. I don’t care if you are or consider your a General Lite, Advanced Lite, or Extra Lite; or for that matter, No Code General, Advanced, or Extra, whatever the heck those are supposed to actually mean. I don’t care if you passed a Novice and still hold that.

You’re an Amateur Radio Operator. A Ham. A member of our community. Period. End Discussion.

Anything else is divisive, demeaning, misleading, and in some cases, insulting. To say nothing of a waste of time and bandwith to argue over trivia.

You’re a ham. Regardless of license class or time in the saddle or activity level.

John, you tired litany bores to irrational extreme. At every chance, at every opportunity it becomes all about you, when and how you got your license, and how anyone that followed after is something less.

Just what have you done for, rather than to amateur radio lately? Rather than demean and denigrate, what have you done to support and educate? What, other than contribute to to your immensely inflated self importance at the expense of others have you given back to the community? With privilege comes responsibility. John, you have a responsibility to represent all within amateur radio. As an extra class licensee you should be representing amateur radio with an extra amount of class, yet you continue to be a cancer, spewing forth poisonous innuendo. 

John, cancel your license. No matter how you earned it you don't deserve it. For all your professing the demise of amateur radio it is you, and amateurs like you, that present the greatest threat to the continuing growth and existence of amateur radio. Give your equipment DARA, not that they need it but even they would put it to better use. Cancel your membership here and any other forum having to do with amateur radio. Your disgusting commentary isn't wanted or needed. Your very presence within amateur radio diminishes us all.

AF7XT 

I considered a microwave oven magnetron and a 4' dish as a drone-killer. The ERP would be on the order of a hundred thousand watts or so. ~anon

November 28, 2018, 09:16:04 AM
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2018, 09:47:07 AM »

^^^ Pure GENIUS, that post. Well written, sir. ^^^
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2018, 09:57:02 AM »

you are an Amateur Radio Operator. Period.

Not really, requirement were greatly reduced for commercial lobbying for more profit and the ticket today mean little compared to past.

The point is if there is more profit to be made with free give away tickets (that are nearly that now) it is just a matter of time before it happens as they have long gutted standards and enforcement.

If anyone should cancel ticket its DARA, they close up shop and let someone else do the show because last year they showed that they learn nothing about a proper venue.

You attack the truth and prefer the fake stories and excuses.

^^^ Pure GENIUS, that post. Well written, sir. ^^^

Genius? more like serious denial...

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2018, 10:20:13 AM »

No it isn't.

Some things have changed. Some things haven't.

N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2018, 10:31:47 AM »

You passed the exams, at whatever level, that were available to you at that time. If a code requirement had been reduced or eliminated, that was beyond your control. So from my point of view, if you have an FCC issued license, you passed those tests, and you are an Amateur Radio Operator. Period.

I don’t care if you’re a No Code Tech or a Tech Plus or an Old school Tech. I don’t care if you are or consider your a General Lite, Advanced Lite, or Extra Lite; or for that matter, No Code General, Advanced, or Extra, whatever the heck those are supposed to actually mean. I don’t care if you passed a Novice and still hold that.

You’re an Amateur Radio Operator. A Ham. A member of our community. Period. End Discussion.

Anything else is divisive, demeaning, misleading, and in some cases, insulting. To say nothing of a waste of time and bandwith to argue over trivia.

You’re a ham. Regardless of license class or time in the saddle or activity level.

John, you tired litany bores to irrational extreme. At every chance, at every opportunity it becomes all about you, when and how you got your license, and how anyone that followed after is something less.

Just what have you done for, rather than to amateur radio lately? Rather than demean and denigrate, what have you done to support and educate? What, other than contribute to to your immensely inflated self importance at the expense of others have you given back to the community? With privilege comes responsibility. John, you have a responsibility to represent all within amateur radio. As an extra class licensee you should be representing amateur radio with an extra amount of class, yet you continue to be a cancer, spewing forth poisonous innuendo. 

John, cancel your license. No matter how you earned it you don't deserve it. For all your professing the demise of amateur radio it is you, and amateurs like you, that present the greatest threat to the continuing growth and existence of amateur radio. Give your equipment DARA, not that they need it but even they would put it to better use. Cancel your membership here and any other forum having to do with amateur radio. Your disgusting commentary isn't wanted or needed. Your very presence within amateur radio diminishes us all.  

Well said, sir!

I say this as someone who has been a ham more than 50 years and has seen all the changes in that time. Some were good, some were bad. Overall, I say Amateur Radio is in good shape. Sure, there are problems - but there have ALWAYS been problems.

I went from Novice to Extra in less than 3 years. Would have been 2 years but the Extra used to require 2 years' experience. I took all the exams except Novice at the FCC office in Philly, back in the days of code sending and receiving, secret writtens, the whole mess. No VEs, no Bash books, no CSCEs. My callsign is so old it is not a vanity call. Yada yada yada.

(I didn't have to walk barefoot in the snow - instead, I braved summer heat and humidity, and the office wasn't air-conditioned. No "ten miles uphill both ways", either - less than mile to 69th street, then a subway ride and a short walk at the other end. No big deal, really. Piece of cake. )

My license just says "Amateur Extra", same as everyone else's who passed the tests which were in effect when they got theirs.

And I say what reallymatters is what someone does after they get the license. The addy-tood they display towards others, the example they set, etc.

The day I stop learning is the day I start dying. Today is not that day.

73 de Jim, N2EY

N0XAX

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2018, 01:12:35 PM »

It says on this piece of paper I got from the FCC "Amateur Radio License" So that must mean that I'm an amateur radio operator. Some of the CW curmudgeons will beat this horse until it's bag of bones! Notice I said "some". What did Rodney King say? Can't we all just get along!
BOOMBA

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2018, 02:29:26 PM »

If the frequency was not being used prior to the net all is good.  Sounds like other people just wanted to make trouble for the net.   
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: