The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Local stuff to do in Paris, France  (Read 6978 times)
KG6MDU

Ignore
« on: March 12, 2018, 02:21:56 PM »

I'm going to be in Paris, France in a few weeks and was curious to know if there are any ham radio shops in Paris?

Also, any references to repeaters in Paris, France would be helpful.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Brad Walker
KG6MDU
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 05:49:37 PM »

There is a lot more to do in Paris than play radio. Try to enjoy the experience.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 09:06:34 PM »

I've been to Paris. I echo 1H's comments......FROM THE ROOFTOPS! Day or night. 

In order to take in Paris it is necessary to look, look and look some more, every waking moment! 

For cryin out loud....take photos.. hundreds of them.  You'll never be sorry. 

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 05:34:39 AM »

I'm going to be in Paris, France in a few weeks and was curious to know if there are any ham radio shops in Paris?

Also, any references to repeaters in Paris, France would be helpful.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Brad Walker
KG6MDU

I agree with the other posts -- but if you MUST ...

France Repeater List:
https://www.dxzone.com/dx2718/france-repeater-list.html

France Repeater Map:
https://www.radioamateur.org/relais/

Be aware, you can listen but you cannot operate in France.

As a Technician, you don't qualify for reciprocal operating authority under CEPT.

See: http://www.arrl.org/cept
Which states: "There is no equivalent CEPT class for the US Technician or Novice license, therefore a US Technician or Novice licensee is not eligible to operate under CEPT reciprocity."

AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 05:58:06 AM »

Climb up the Eiffel tower with a QRP rig, dangle a wire antenna over the side, preferably with an American flag attached to the end as a counterweight and CQ CQDX away.

The French are such fun-loving people. They will welcome it <NOT!>

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 08:44:47 AM »

As a Technician, you don't qualify for reciprocal operating authority under CEPT.

^^^^ This.  If you can't resist, then put the echolink app on your smart phone and do it that way.  Use it a lot while at work.....works fine, lasts a long time.   
The few times that I did take a handheld to Germany, it was a real disappointment.  I may be wrong, but I think the D-STAR machines there are just digital repeaters, and nothing else.  Definitely no connectivity possible, at least in the Rhine region.

K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 08:48:00 AM »

Climb up the Eiffel tower with a QRP rig, dangle a wire antenna over the side, preferably with an American flag attached to the end as a counterweight and CQ CQDX away.

LOL!  Don't forget to wear bright white tennis shoes from Costco, and a sweatshirt brightly emblazoned with your favorite college or NFL team.  All of the locals will marvel at how cool you are.
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 09:00:20 AM »

Drink wine, drink wine, drink wine.  The Parisians do.  I do like the post about dangling the wire off the Eiffel tower.  That would be a blast even if you got pinched by the gendarmes
Art.

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 11:27:01 AM »

I haven't been to Paris for some years, so places I knew will have gone.  How well you will get on depends to some extent on whether or not you speak French. Although a lot of French people speak English, as you might expect, there are a lot who don't. Besides the wine, there is also some excellent food: depending on your taste, you may wish to avoid grenouilles (frog's legs), escargot (snails), andouilles and andouillettes, which are sausages made from pieces of pigs stomach and intestine and chitterlings, respectively - and to me, smell like it!  Also boudin, which is a blood sausage and cervelles, which are brains. The Metro is probably the cheapest way to get around, and it's best to buy a carnet of ten tickets, which offers some saving.

Have fun.....
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 06:27:01 PM »

I haven't been to Paris for some years, so places I knew will have gone.  How well you will get on depends to some extent on whether or not you speak French. Although a lot of French people speak English, as you might expect, there are a lot who don't. Besides the wine, there is also some excellent food: depending on your taste, you may wish to avoid grenouilles (frog's legs), escargot (snails), andouilles and andouillettes, which are sausages made from pieces of pigs stomach and intestine and chitterlings, respectively - and to me, smell like it!  Also boudin, which is a blood sausage and cervelles, which are brains. The Metro is probably the cheapest way to get around, and it's best to buy a carnet of ten tickets, which offers some saving.

Have fun.....

Scary about the sausages!  Now, "Andouille" [sic] sausage is great in a chicken-based thick soup or over rice.  I'd read about the ones you mentioned, and if I ever visit Paris (France, Texas or wherever), I'll read the menu very carefully.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 09:39:12 PM »

Boudin is great!

Snails, euck

Don't go to France then; it is just filled with foreign people. Go to Mobile or Baton Rouge, at least they (mostly) speak the same language.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 08:13:24 AM »

I spent 3 weeks in August 1955 in Baton Rouge visiting a classmate.  That was before air conditioning was common.  Everyone spoke English but not like in Chicago.
Art
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2018, 04:38:36 PM »

I spent some time last summer visiting my #2 son and his Russian GF and her son. They live on the Adriatic coast of Montenegro and we toured Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia, Trieste, Austria and Southern Bavaria with never a thought about radio.
With English, German, Russian, and some Serbian language ability among us it was extremely enjoyable.

Carl
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 10:21:45 PM »

Dangling a wire from the top of the tower would be the last thing I'd do!  Especially if I valued my HT.  There's enough RF up there to smoke an HT!

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
N7EKU

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 07:27:02 AM »

Hi,

Something that would be a lot better than talking to French hams on an HT, would be meeting some!  If I were you, I would email a few clubs there and ask about meeting some and seeing their shacks, or maybe offer to take some out to dinner or for a drink, etc.  That would be great fun if it could work out!

Mark.

Mark -- N7EKU/VE3
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: