The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Local stuff to do in Paris, France  (Read 6977 times)
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2018, 10:39:43 AM »

EKU:  I think I have a better idea. How about meeting some French girls and taking them out to dinner.  I feel that this would be much more fun.

If he's married then it would be Plan B.  Leave her home!  Grin

On a more serious note....Keep your billfold in your front pocket and keep your mind on it.....at least part of your mind!  One of the favorite scams (to be PC here) is for a certain group of kids to swarm you and distract you while the others go through your pockets.  Visualize a swarm of bees. Ya ain't got enough hands.

This is from experience!  Not a time to be a "nice" American!

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
PU2OZT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2018, 11:03:41 AM »

...How about meeting some French girls and taking them out to dinner...

ooops... the straw that broke the camel's back, we've just being reminded to focus on Ham-radio topics in misc forum

QSY? where?
Oliver (lived for more than 4 decades in Paris, born there... yes, that happens)
KG6MDU

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2018, 06:58:41 PM »

You folks just crack me up!!

Well, I did make it back to the USA in one piece. My back pocket did not appreciate the assault it had from some gypsy. Fortunately, I caught them in the act and they got to receive some good ol' fashioned American anger.

After having been there, I really liked the comment about hanging a wire off the Eiffel Tower! That would have really endeared me to them, especially since there was a small terrorist attack as well as the unions were on strike. Oh I love Paris so much.. 8-)

I did learn something new as a result of this post. And that is about operating overseas requires a little more thought.

Overall, had a good time in Paris, learned some stuff about radio from you folks, and ate great food.

Très Bien!

-brad w.
KC9MGX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2018, 03:33:25 PM »

Check out the Musee des Arts et Metiers (sp?). It's nominally about arts and weaving, but it's *actually* about the history of practical technology and will certainly be of interest to a ham that likes the technical side of the hobby. Don't miss it. Totally underrated. Also it's the setting of the opening scene of 'In the Name of the Rose.'

In the same vein check out Les Egouts (the sewers, very cool tour) and Les Catacoumbs. Both reference the history of technology in their own way (less so Les Catacoumbs). Musee de la Chasse is really interesting if you're into animals, hunting, etc., and don't mind an artsy twist. The Centre Pompidou is a modern art gallery, but it's main claim to fame is being a building turned inside out, so you see all the technical things on the outside of the building displayed and painted as if to be art itself. You can also basically explore the areas outside the galleries via the escalators with amazing views up to the 4th floor without buying a ticket. Similarly, I would think hams would be interested in the Musee de l'Armee, which covers the entirety of France's military history going back before Napoleon. Lots of technical stuff there and almost certainly some radio reference. My favorite museum is Musee Carnavalet, which is a museum about the history of Paris, which includes some technical stuff. Check out also the Cite de l'Architecture e Patrimoine, which has a lot of technical stuff about buildings. Oh, and the Grande Gallery de Evolucion in the Musee Nacional d'Histoire is unmissable. UN MISSABLE

If you like thinking about propagation, you should go to Sacre Couer and stare out over the city. Line of sight across the whole place, but avoid the area with all the artists, as it's a tourist trap and potentially a pickpocket trap.

That's not to mention to main stuff like the Louvre, Musee de Quai Branlee, Musee d'Orsay.

Here's my secret spot: Place d'Aligre market - but check hours of operation. Le Baron Rouge is the perfect spot to get oysters for breakfast on a weekend morning.

Here's the biggest biggest biggest piece of advice for getting on well in Paris: there are 4 magic words. We teach children 2 magic words in English: Please, Thank you. In French (and lots of other languages) there are 4 magic words: HELLO, please, thank you, and GOODBYE. I always think of it as the legacy of existentialism Wink Acknowledge the store clerk, the stranger on the bus who you ask for the time or directions etc THEN say please and thank you to get whatever you need THEN say goodbye. Even better if you ask 'how are you?' before getting into your thing. Even if they pretend to be rude (e.g., waiters, clerks) they like it and it will be better for you and then YOU get to laugh at how silly and rude the waiter is because you did your part.

Bonjour (hello/good day). Sa va bien? (how are you/does it go well?). Sil vous plait (please). Merci (thank you) Madame/Messiuer/Madammoiselle. Au revoir (goodbye).

Couch any interaction, from buying a ticket to asking directions, in those terms and you'll be off to a great start.

OK final tip for jet lag: your first day there ride a bus tour as long as you can (hop on/off) and a boat tour to soak up the sun and more or less stay awake until a nominal bed time.

Oh, Musee Cluny is also quite wonderful.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2018, 10:56:53 PM »

Peter:  After reading your post I thought I was going to be very, very sick!

I have to add one thing to your "Don't" list is Don't Drink the Water!"  I did and got the screaminshits so bad I had to open my mouth the break the vacuum!

Not all French speak English but the certainly speak "Francs!"  For example, you smack 20 Francs on the bar and tell the bar tender,"I gotta shit!"  You will be directed to the nearest crapper in a heartbeat!

K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2018, 04:44:56 PM »

Lest you become a "merdeur"...

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2018, 10:53:23 PM »

Pat:  ??  Doesn't translate.

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2018, 11:50:53 PM »

'Merde' is the French equivalent to the ejaculation 'sh*t'.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2018, 10:26:54 AM »

Thank you Peter.  I guessed it was spelled wrong.  I don't speak French.but learned "Francs" overnight!

I also learned "Marks."  My son and I was touring a castle in Bavaria and got absorbed with the video cameras and got behind the tour group.  When we missed the head count I could hear the tour guide raising hell and putting a rock under it.  We could hear him stomping up the steps to find us.

He walked up to us all blowed up like a blow fish ready to rip us a new one.  I smiled and apologized and handed him 20 Marks.  You could see the air go out of him like a punctured balloon!

That's where the American expression, "Money talks, bullshit walks!" came from.

AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2018, 10:44:25 AM »

I have to add one thing to your "Don't" list is Don't Drink the Water!"  I did and got the screaminshits so bad I had to open my mouth the break the vacuum!
Water treatment in the United States usually includes the initial disinfection during treatment but is again adjusted before the water enters the distribution system as to maintain a residual chlorine level in the pipes. This means that the bacterial activity in the piping is fairly low.

In many countries in the EU they use a non-chlorine based water disinfection (Ozone or UV) at the treatment plant. That means the water leaves the plant without biological activity but the piping has bacterial slimes (colonies). There may not be a residual disinfectant like chlorine.

So, if you drink tap water in places like that you have invited an invading colony in to your gut. It is a different type of bacteria that you have been used to.

Jokingly, I could say that it is one of the only battles that the French has won in the past 100 years and that it is a revival of their colonization efforts but on a microbiological scale.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2018, 10:52:55 AM »

When I go on vacation ham radio is not even in the back of my mind.  To me ham radio is a pastime not a passion.  Why go to some different place anyway? Don't you want to spend every minute soaking up the culture, land, art, music, food?  Ham radio...give me a break!
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2018, 06:03:28 PM »

Pat:  ??  Doesn't translate.

I used the "...eur" suffix to indicate "one who ... ", as "voyeur" (one who watches).  Thanks to Peter for filling in the blank for me.  And no, I never took French in school.  C'est obviouse, non?

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2018, 10:57:36 PM »

Thanks for the info Trisha.  I figured they had the purification thing down in the 35 years since I was first over there.  Guess I was wrong.

I had the last laugh though.  I left my "colony" plastered on a wall about 3ft off the floor.  I wouldn't be afraid to bet it's still there!  Then again, I might be wrong.  They could be charging 5 Francs to see that "murial."

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2018, 02:47:44 AM »

'AXW,

There are no more francs or marks or pesetas or lira. It is all Euros now - except in the UK, Norway, Sweden and Denmark, which have kept pounds and their individual kroners respectively.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2018, 09:22:53 AM »

Yes I'm aware of that Peter.  I have mixed feelings about that ..... but since I no longer have a dog in that fight.... enjoy!

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: