The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Requesting A Little Help This June from A Vegas Area Ham  (Read 3575 times)
NQ4T

Ignore
« on: March 15, 2018, 10:22:33 AM »

Hi everyone,

Last year I made the decision to get together with some friends and do field day in Northern California. I had an absolute blast.

Im doing it again this year. But I need a small favor from someone.

I can't figure out a way to safely/legally ship my magmount antenna. I was planning on shipping some of my radio gear ahead of me...but once they hear theres a magmount antenna they start talking dangerous goods and want me to get a bunch of training before they'll even talk to me about it.

So Im scratching that idea since the added weight and dimensons would be expensive. It's cheaper for me to buy one to use for the duration of the trip and give it away to someone. I've decided this is what I want to do.

The hassle with this is Gigaparts closes at 6 and my flight lands at five. I can't pick up my rental car and make it there in time.

So heres my idea...I simply need an area ham to pick one up from me. I'm naturally picking up the tab...either paying Gigaparts directly or PayPaling you the money.  Then when my flight lands and I get my rental car....I swing by and pick this thing up.

I am not overnighting in Vegas, so it will have to be the evening I get there. While I have a few stops to make before heading North to meet up with the rest of the crew flying in to Reno...you will be #2 on the list so it's not too late (the first is stopping by FedEx just a block down from the rental cars).

Thats it. If you happen to want/need a magmount; it's yours when I leave. I'll also "buy you a couple beverages" for your trouble.

Im asking now to not only try to get my planing done...but in case this doesn't pan out so I have time to modify my travel to get there earlier in the day.

Thanks in advance and 73,
-Jay/NQ4T
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 08:09:55 PM »

What you can do is to make the purchase and have it shipped to your hotel in Reno.

I do that all the time with trade-show stuff.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
NQ4T

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 07:35:39 AM »

What you can do is to make the purchase and have it shipped to your hotel in Reno.

I do that all the time with trade-show stuff.

Except I have no hotel in Reno, I'm just picking guys up who are staying in Reno. I'm doing the all-night drive from Vegas to Reno..then we're heading to where we do FD that afternoon.

I just moved the flight while it was still a reasonable price to do so. Rather than spend over 3 hours at ATL..I'll have 15 minutes between landing and boarding the next flight. Fun...I might have time to go to the bathroom and grab a smoke....but lunch will be out of the question.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 04:31:20 PM »

I'm curious, why won't they ship a mag mount antenna? I assume that dealers ship them all the time. Can you ship a speaker? They have magnets in them. When I use the post office or UPS, they always ask if the package contains any hazardous materials and then rattle off a list - never heard them include mag mount antennas in the list.

Options might be to have the antenna wrapped, ready to ship and take it to a different post office or UPS office. Unless they specifically mention mag mount antennas in their list of hazardous materials I'd just answer no hazardous materials. Don't volunteer that it's a mag mount antenna because they probably have no idea what that is.

The other option would be to order one from GigaParts and have them ship it to wherever you are shipping the rest of your radio gear.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 04:42:08 PM by AA4PB » Logged

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 11:33:36 PM »

I'm curious, why won't they ship a mag mount antenna? I assume that dealers ship them all the time. Can you ship a speaker? They have magnets in them. When I use the post office or UPS, they always ask if the package contains any hazardous materials and then rattle off a list - never heard them include mag mount antennas in the list.

That is a great question; If you are planning on taking magnets on an aircraft as baggage then it is a problem. They are considered "dangerous goods" if the magnetic field is greater than 2 milliGauss when measured 7' from the package. They can interfere with aircraft navigation systems.

If you made a shipping container that kept the magnet portion of the antenna suspended well away from the outside of the package then you could lower the external magnetic field below 2 milliGauss. Something like a box in a box would work.

But... how many hams have a gauss-meter and if you are significantly off in your calculations or measurements there can be a big fine (or potentially even jail) for packing super-magnets as luggage.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 11:42:42 PM by AA4HA » Logged

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 01:14:41 AM »

To put it in perspective.....

Some time back, they had problems that some aircraft taking off from London City Airport would not be following the track that ATC wanted, which obviously led to a lot of upset! Turned out that where London City Airport is used to be part of the London docks, with a lot of dockside railroad tracks, and when they built the airport, they just poured concrete over the rails. So an aircraft held on a certain taxi way for a few minutes had the flux gate magnetometers re-align themselves because of the effects of the steel rails and so the autopilot got confused.....

Somewhere on the web there is an Air Accident Investigation Board report on it...

So if sitting over railroad tracks for a few minutes can cause trouble, you can understand why there are strict limits on magnetic fields from cargo!
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 07:10:35 AM »

I can understand not taking large magnets aboard an aircraft as luggage. I thought the OP wanted to ship them along with the rest of his gear. Perhaps he was trying to ship the gear as air freight. I used to ship antennas that had four large magnets on them via UPS and FedEx all the time with no issues. How do the mfgs get the mag mount antennas to their dealers and customers if they can't be shipped? How do large speaker mfgs get their speakers to their dealers and customers if they can't be shipped?

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 09:05:47 AM »

Interesting point, Bob. I guess it is done by shipping by truck or even rail, although possibly if FedEx/UPS know the package contains magnetic material, they may be able to arrange to stow it where it will have minimal effect in an aircraft.
W0WCA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 01:04:30 PM »

ell, if there is a metal plate (iron, steel) over the magnet would not the magnetic field be contained?
NQ4T

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 09:43:42 AM »

I tried explaing shielding to FedEx. They said that it must be shielded...but the mere presence of a magnet classified it as dangerous goods. I didn't consider UPS because I had no luck trying to convince them I wanted it shipped to a customer center. They were also closed in my original arrival time.

But it's fine. Im taking the hellish 45 minute layover in ATL and will get to Vegas before 3. Provided Im in the rental car by 4:30 I can make Gigaparts by close. Typically I just take whatever they offer for an upgrade and I'm out of there a lot faster. Poorer....but faster.

I gotta look in to if I can Amazon Locker a new battery for the HT. Mine is dead and I plan on shipping it out without on and just carrying it on carry on with me. By that point I can make space.

Im doing a 2 week trip in a carryon since Im not dealing with the added hassle of checked bags.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: