The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Portable call sign identifier-- in front or back?  (Read 2029 times)
NI0C

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2018, 08:34:04 AM »

I'm planning on operating from Hawaii very soon on a vacation trip with family. Trying to decide whether to sign as KH6/NI0C or as NI0C/KH6. 
This will be a very low key operation using a battery powered KX2 and wire antennas.  CW only, paper logs, LoTW after return home.  Any opinions on what is the best way to identify?
Tnx, 73 & Aloha,
Chuck  NI0C
KM4SII

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 09:44:39 AM »

Legally speaking I think you can do it either way. Personally, I would prefer to put the KH6 first so if people tune across your signal they will hear the KH6 first so they won't just hear NI0 and keep on tuning thinking you are not DX  Smiley

And all of the /KH6 stations I have in my log put the KH6 first...

Just my humble opinion  Smiley

73 de KM4SII - Mason

NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 02:47:57 PM »

Legally speaking I think you can do it either way. Personally, I would prefer to put the KH6 first so if people tune across your signal they will hear the KH6 first so they won't just hear NI0 and keep on tuning thinking you are not DX  Smiley

And all of the /KH6 stations I have in my log put the KH6 first...

Just my humble opinion  Smiley

73 de KM4SII - Mason
Tnx,Mason, for the info.  I guess I could use NH6, or even AH6, as well.  So many choices! 
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 04:55:59 PM »

The correct way is to sign from the entity that you are operating from first, then your callsign.

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 06:17:23 PM »

If you have a well-known callsign it benefits you to put the KH6/ first. Otherwise folks will hear your callsign and come back to you before the /KH6 hits the ether.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 06:21:21 PM by N3QE » Logged
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 06:31:43 PM »

The correct way is to sign from the entity that you are operating from first, then your callsign.

While KH6 is a different DXCC entity than the mainland, by FCC rules it isn't really different because it's in the US. So /KH6 or KH6/ is a "self-assigned" indicator and can come before or after.

For most cases (especially CEPT), what you say is legally correct the portable prefix comes first.

BUT... For a US ham in Canada, or a Canadian ham in the US, the other way is legally correct. (FCC 97.119(g) and http://wp.rac.ca/operating/canada-united-states-reciprocal-operating-agreement/ )
N5PG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 07:25:39 PM »

I'm planning on operating from Hawaii very soon on a vacation trip with family. Trying to decide whether to sign as KH6/NI0C or as NI0C/KH6.  
This will be a very low key operation using a battery powered KX2 and wire antennas.  CW only, paper logs, LoTW after return home.  Any opinions on what is the best way to identify?
Tnx, 73 & Aloha,
Chuck  NI0C

It'll be interesting to hear about your results from one of my favourite places.
If you're on Maui take it up to the top of Haleakala and see what's on at 10,000ft !

73, have a great vacation, Paul

For ID, I believe putting it first is the way nowadays.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 09:07:24 PM »

Okay guys, thanks.  I've programmed the CW message memories in the KX2 for KH6/NI0C.  Will be on from Kauai, grid BL01.  I may resort to shameless self-spotting depending on how I'm getting out. 

Tnx again, 73, Aloha,
Chuck  NI0C
KM4SII

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 09:21:54 PM »

Okay guys, thanks.  I've programmed the CW message memories in the KX2 for KH6/NI0C.  Will be on from Kauai, grid BL01.  I may resort to shameless self-spotting depending on how I'm getting out. 

Tnx again, 73, Aloha,
Chuck  NI0C
What dates? I'll be sure to watch the RBN and the cluster for 'ya! If I can't hear you from my station, I may try to call you from a club station I have access to remotely using the club's call.

NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 09:43:48 PM »

What dates?
March 19 or 20 to March 26.
Thanks for the reminder about the RBN.  Haven't really used it since NPOTA in 2016. 
-73-
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 12:39:37 PM »

Well guys, my KH6 operation was not very successful.  I only made one QSO, and that was with another QRP vacationer on the North side of Kauai (I was on the South side).  I found that you can't just throw a wire up in a palm tree, run 5-10 watts to it and get out, especially from a yard that is full of wet vegetation and surrounded by a high fence, and close to other houses.  I spent a lot of time calling other stations and calling CQ on 20, 30, and 40 meters.  I got several RBN spots from KH6LC, and two from VE7CC, with reported signal to noise ratios of 6-7 dB.  I think I put out one self spot on DX Summit, but with so few RBN spots, I knew I wasn't really getting out. 

I did hear several stateside stations, some JA's, plus 9M2PUL and 7Q7EI.  Otherwise, I had a very enjoyable vacation with my wife and five members of our family all staying in a nice rental house on this beautiful (and very rainy) island. 
Chuck  NI0C
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: