The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TV star Garry Shandling was a ham WA7BKG  (Read 7292 times)
WA2ISE

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2018, 05:01:43 PM »

Looks like the typical ham station in the early 60's.  His call shows up in the 1967 callbook.
https://archive.org/stream/Fall_1967_Radio_Amateur_Callbook/Fall_1967_Radio_Amateur_Callbook_District_7#page/n3/mode/2up

FWIW...
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 11:33:58 AM »

This is news?  He died 2 years ago.

do a lookup for KQ6KA for Dave Waddell , it  expired in August 2009
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 12:13:21 PM »

>>> TV star Garry Shandling was a ham WA7BKG

Nice to know but, of course ...

There are LOTS of celebrities who are/were hams ... ranging from guitarists Joe Walsh (WB6ACU) and Chet Atkins (W4CGP-sk) ... to singers Patty Loveless (KD4WUJ) and Donnie Osmond (WD4SKJ) ... to newscaster Walter Cronkite (KB2GSD-sk), U.S. Senator Barry Goldwater (K7UGA-sk) and His Majesty King Hussein of Jordan (JY1-sk).

Test your knowledge of famous hams in this cute quiz that I came across:
http://www.funtrivia.com/playquiz/quiz32030024ab1a8.html
 Wink
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 02:41:37 PM »

>>> TV star Garry Shandling was a ham WA7BKG

Nice to know but, of course ...

There are LOTS of celebrities who are/were hams ... ranging from guitarists Joe Walsh (WB6ACU) and Chet Atkins (W4CGP-sk) ... to singers Patty Loveless (KD4WUJ) and Donnie Osmond (WD4SKJ) ... to newscaster Walter Cronkite (KB2GSD-sk), U.S. Senator Barry Goldwater (K7UGA-sk) and His Majesty King Hussein of Jordan (JY1-sk).

Test your knowledge of famous hams in this cute quiz that I came across:
http://www.funtrivia.com/playquiz/quiz32030024ab1a8.html
 Wink

9 out of 15. I'm a lame.
W5TD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 03:02:32 PM »

I got 12 out of 15 correct.  I check the DX cluster from time to time using WB6ACU as a search term to see if Joe Walsh gets spotted on HF. Most of the time it brings nothing back from the search.
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 03:12:07 PM »

I got 12 out of 15 correct.  I check the DX cluster from time to time using WB6ACU as a search term to see if Joe Walsh gets spotted on HF. Most of the time it brings nothing back from the search.

That's because his station is at his mansion (forget the price).  He ain't never been there, they tell him it's nice.   Grin

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 03:17:16 PM »

Art Bell (Coast to Coast AM)  is a ham radio operator too,  W6OBB.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Bell

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 04:27:25 PM »

That's because his station is at his mansion (forget the price).  He ain't never been there, they tell him it's nice.   Grin

That was timeless!  Cheesy  Wink

Besides, everyone knows he's too busy living in hotels tearing out walls, harassing his accountants endlessly. He has no time for the likes of us!
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 01:35:24 PM »

Tim Allen, KK6OTD from Home Improvement / Last Man Standing
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 02:50:45 PM »

Never saw him, didnt miss much either.
W4AMP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 10:53:57 PM »

Art Bell (Coast to Coast AM)  is a ham radio operator too,  W6OBB.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Bell

Used to work him in Pahrump on 75 late at night. Pretty nice guy. Worked him on 10 FM several times as well.

Never did QSL. But he had a lot going on, he lost his YL sadly.
Hope he is well. He always had a great signal and his personality is outstanding.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 06:03:25 AM »

There was a fair amount of ham radio and some electrical engineering sprinkled thru the show. Some DX QSLs were shown. The concluding shot was from the rear of his mountain home with his large tri-bander very prominent. 

In one photo he's seated at a full Collins S-line. I'm not sure that was his, though.
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 02:32:27 PM »

Never saw him, didnt miss much either.

Very clever and poignant humor. It may be a West Coast sensibility, however.
My sister never "got" Seinfeld. Of course that show was, as they admitted, "about nothing."

Try to watch an episode of the Larry Sanders Show. Jeffry Tambor is very very funny.
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 02:51:06 PM »

That's because his station is at his mansion (forget the price).  He ain't never been there, they tell him it's nice

Thats strange as he orders parts for boat anchor restorations a few times a year.

Carl
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 04:19:34 PM »

...so he got him a ham shack gold records on the wall-just start a QSO, maybe he'll call Smiley

Not a ham, but an avid hobbyist in HF world. All things, short of transmit happen in this shack.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: