The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TV star Garry Shandling was a ham WA7BKG  (Read 7312 times)
KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 05:31:15 PM »

Marconi was a ham.

klc

EXTRALight  1/3 less WPM than a Real EXTRA
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2018, 05:45:30 PM »

I got 12 out of 15 correct.  I check the DX cluster from time to time using WB6ACU as a search term to see if Joe Walsh gets spotted on HF. Most of the time it brings nothing back from the search.

That's because his station is at his mansion (forget the price).  He ain't never been there, they tell him it's nice.   Grin

...so he got him a ham shack gold records on the wall-just start a QSO, maybe he'll call Smiley

How about this:

So he got him a ham shack, QSL cards on the wall. Send out a CQ, maybe he'll call. Grin

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2018, 06:21:17 PM »

I got 12 out of 15 correct.  I check the DX cluster from time to time using WB6ACU as a search term to see if Joe Walsh gets spotted on HF. Most of the time it brings nothing back from the search.

That's because his station is at his mansion (forget the price).  He ain't never been there, they tell him it's nice.   Grin

...so he got him a ham shack gold records on the wall-just start a QSO, maybe he'll call Smiley

How about this:

So he got him a ham shack, QSL cards on the wall. Send out a CQ, maybe he'll call. Grin
Yup That'll work Cheesy

Not a ham, but an avid hobbyist in HF world. All things, short of transmit happen in this shack.
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2018, 07:47:54 PM »

That's because his station is at his mansion (forget the price).  He ain't never been there, they tell him it's nice

Thats strange as he orders parts for boat anchor restorations a few times a year.

Carl
Clearly someone doesn't get the reference(s).
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2018, 08:08:32 PM »

That's because his station is at his mansion (forget the price).  He ain't never been there, they tell him it's nice

Thats strange as he orders parts for boat anchor restorations a few times a year.

Carl
Clearly someone doesn't get the reference(s).

Maybe this'll help. Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXWvKDSwvls

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2018, 08:22:15 AM »

OK, this is a hobby that over the years has attracted people from all societal backgrounds and diverse professions.  Although I would say that many new hams today don't represent the earlier folks who got into the hobby.  Back then (let's say from post WWII through 2000) most hams had technical professions or interests.  Today's hams are not as heavily weighted in the technical arena as they tend to want turn key radio solutions and dive right into to getting on the air without too much interest in the science behind the 'knobs'.  Just a cursory knowledge to operate seems to satisfy most hams today. Hell, they would rather buy a dipole than build one.  The point I'm making is that among the one million or so people that are or have been hams, don't we think that this population will contain the high to the low in society, richest to poorest, smartest to dumbest, famous to infamous? Well yes you will find all kinds.  I personally never cared for Shandling's humor (if you can call it that) but I don't dislike the guy....he just happened to be a ham like me and the rest of us. Big deal....
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2018, 05:22:33 PM »

Back then (let's say from post WWII through 2000) most hams had technical professions or interests.  Today's hams are not as heavily weighted in the technical arena as they tend to want turn key radio solutions and dive right into to getting on the air without too much interest in the science behind the 'knobs'. 

I don't know about "most hams" but none of the hams I knew when I was growing up (Novice license in 1957 and General a year later) were "technical" in any way regarding electronic or RF engineering. My first mentor was a CPA. My high school friends ended up as MDs or in the grocery business. I've worked as an ad writer and as a psychologist. Several hams I've known were in the program-production side of the broadcast biz rather than the radio-technical.

Radio is interesting for all sorts of reasons, thus it attracts technical people as well as people who enjoy any number of aspects of communication.

I think you are right in that there are plenty of what some call "appliance operators" in ham radio these days. I haven't designed and built any rigs, but I have built most of my gear from kits or purchased used gear which required disassembly and repair. I don't consider myself to be a technical type other than I am curious about how things work and I like taking things apart.

Back in the day I was well-aware of hams who used beautifully-built Collins gear. "Appliance operators?" or simply aficionados of high-quality, well-designed communication tools?

Some of us were radiotelegraph ops in the armed forces. This was an important part of the special meaning of radiotelegraphy to us. Seems we may have an historical awareness and an unconventional perspective on
today's obsession with pocket computers (cellphones), texting and the like.
K3UIM

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2018, 06:23:38 PM »

EE,
I got my novice ticket in 62 and the General in 63.
I totally agree with you. My "Collins" op was one with the means and desire to have "the very best" as he worked his way up home-brewing, etc. He was me and my wife's mentor. (Silent Key now.)
Charlie, K3UIM

Where you are: I was!
Where I am: You will be!
So be nice to us old fogies!!
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: