The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-991A: Current Impressions?  (Read 5568 times)
VE6MB

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2018, 02:28:20 PM »

Looking for the opinions/impressions of the CURRENT FT-991A......

Twofold question:

1. Does Yaesu have a solid product design, yet?  (given the problems with earlier non-"A" model, etc).
2. What do you think of the performance of the radio?  Please relate your experiences and comment on the HF performance and all-mode VHF/UHF performance as separate items.

Thanks,

Valentino, VE6MB
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 02:43:31 PM »

Some reviews to read, until current owners reply.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/12025

VE6MB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 06:00:36 PM »

Yes, I've read most of these....but the review forum has the FT-991/991A units lumped together and some of the reviewers don't specify if they have the A or non-A model..... as well there is such inconsistency with the ratings....5/5, 1/5, 5/5, 0/5, etc.

I was just curious if the consensus can now say that the FT-991A (latest version) is a robust design (or not)...

Thanks,

Valentino, VE6MB
N4MU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 02:07:32 PM »

Have had my "A" since last November. Good performing radio - once you get used to menus. The 991A replaced a FT-450D. Receiver not that much more impressive than the 450D - sounds completely different - (specs show a 2 to 1 s/n measurement improvement). It isn't worse...just not the "very noticeable" improvement I was hoping for. Otherwise (two exceptions follow) it's a keeper. No problem with operation, etc. Why did Yaesu do this: #1: wide/narrow selection has two soft keys...on SEPARATE screens...why not on same screen? #2: If you want to use an amplifier AND an FP-2 remote keypad you're out of luck...have to unplug the FP-2 whether or not you use ALC with the amp...BIG FAUX PAS!!!. PITA but workable! Love the spectrum scope...not used on digital yet...just CW and SSB.
K4PDM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 04:00:31 AM »

I set up an external keying switch with my 891 so that I could use the external keypad and key an amp at the same time.
One set of contacts keys the rig, the other set keys the amp, and the keypad stays plugged in.

Evidently the 891 is like the 991A in that they keypad shares jack with the amp. That is a poor design but not too hard to live with.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 05:40:40 AM »

I think Yaesu should of called 991A a 992 to limit confusion.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 06:26:18 PM »

I think Yaesu should of called 991A a 992 to limit confusion.
Someday they're going to run out of numbers to use. (That are convenient. )Then it'll be, "Yea,that's the new FT1001."
K6BRN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 09:27:09 PM »

Valentino:

The early FT-991 teething issues, such as they were, were resolved by late 2015. My two (one early 2016, one a mid 2016 unit) have had zero problems, despite one being a travel radio that looks like it came out of a cement mixer after a particularly bad pour ( I beat the cr@p out of it over many trips).

1. Does Yaesu have a solid product design, yet?  (given the problems with earlier non-"A" model, etc).

YES.  And they had before, too, after mid-2016 with the FT-991.

2. What do you think of the performance of the radio?  Please relate your experiences and comment on the HF performance and all-mode VHF/UHF performance as separate items.
.  The FT-991A has an updated IF strip and is VERY similar.

This is an excellent radio that works very well on CW, SSB, digital and modes and, contrary to rumors, AM too.  Built-in tuner and USB sound card, digital noise reduction, all-mode on VHF and UHF, C4FM/Fusion modes.  The receiver is both quiet and easy to listen to on HF.

I'm not a newbie and have had and have many radios, solid state and tube, digital and analog.

Don't buy it for its waterfall display, though.  The IC-7300 blows it away in that respect.  But in versatility, utility and performance, its VERY good.

Brian - K6BRN
N4MU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 07:59:00 AM »

I set up an external keying switch with my 891 so that I could use the external keypad and key an amp at the same time.
One set of contacts keys the rig, the other set keys the amp, and the keypad stays plugged in.

Evidently the 891 is like the 991A in that they keypad shares jack with the amp. That is a poor design but not too hard to live with.
Would love to see details of the ext. key device. Can you PM me...email good on QRZ - N4MU. Thanks
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 02:30:50 PM »

Looking for the opinions/impressions of the CURRENT FT-991A......

Twofold question:

Thanks,

Valentino, VE6MB

Check out youtube.  I am a firm believer in multiple ways of learning.

You can usually see someones shack, the kind of equipment they have, how they evaluate their radios etc.

Most importantly, you can actually see the rig in use.

Don't worry about fancy editing so much as content.  For example, a lot of the retailers will have things as slick as a commercial, but just rattle off the features listed on the box.

And don't just check out one video on the product, check them all out.

In this day and age you need to combine manufacturer's data (their web site), forum chit chat (eHam), written technical reviews (& the independents AB4OJ, Sherwood Eng) and actually seeing the product in use (youtube, extended play session at a bricks and mortars store).

I tend to find youtube good for late at night, when I fall asleep reading text after doing it all day.

My 2c?  Overall a good rig; but doesn't have 'all in one' USB for Control & Data, which is the #1 must have at the moment with the rise of digital modes.  The scope is a toy, but other than that the A version is reliable.

J.D. Mitchell BA  - VK3BL / XU7AGA - https://www.youtube.com/ratemyradio - Honesty & Integrity
YO2NAA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 01:03:45 PM »

I have an FT-991A since Sep 2017.

Overall, it is a great radio, good RX and nice features. Used only on HF so far.

It was nice to saw posts from previous FT-450 owners, I also had a FT-450 before. I can see an important improvement on the RX, the AMP2 is very useful when poor prop on high bands, and also a great choice of IF bandwidth comparing to FT-450.
The DNR is also doing a very good job on CW, I cannot live without it anymore on 160m and 80m.

For CW contesters and DX hunters, FT-991A is missing an important feature, the PTT for CW.
I'm using the internal USB serial port to key the radio in CW (contest software N1MM). Keying is done OK using the DTR line of the serial port. The RTS line of the same serial port is used as PTT by the N1MM software but FT-991A is ignoring the RTS when in CW mode (when DTR is set for CW keying).
In DATA modes PTT using the RTS of the same serial port is working OK.
I am forced to use the BK-IN delay and often on fast replies I miss the first part of the transmission.

Even when sending the internal CW memories using the FH2 remote, the PTT is depending on BK-IN delay, it should be asserted for entire message and then switch to RX with no delay, like it was on older FT-450.

I asked Yaesu Japan for an improvement on this matter in Jan 2018, no answer yet. Only Yaesu USA and UK answered very friendly, they also passed my request to Yaesu Japan.

Beside CW PTT, I asked Yaesu for some additional improvements:

- The DNR is too aggresive with the last DSP firmware(01-11). On CW is actually OK but on SSB even DNR level 1 is affecting the intelligibility of the voice too much.
Some users have rolled back to DSP ver 01-09.

- SCP SPAN FREQ - please add 10KHz and 20 KHz SPAN, if technically possible. It would be useful for detailed CW pile up view

- Please add a gain parameter for spectrum and waterfall if possible. On quiet bands and very weak signals no waterfall can be seen.
Sometimes AMP2 needs to be activated to see the waterfall but for a good audio or from IMD point of view AMP1 or IPO should be activated instead.
Actually they solved somehow this issue in the last update (Main 02-01) by increasing the gain of the SCP.

- Please display CW-U instead of C-U

If other FT-991A owners are considering these improvements useful too, please send a request to Yaesu, maybe they will listen to us.

Sorry for the long writing, TNX for reading.

73 Ady YO2NAA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: