The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom IC-706MKIIG Data setup Problems  (Read 3308 times)
AJ0Z

Ignore
« on: April 06, 2018, 12:51:33 PM »

I’m looking for any ideas of what to do to get my Icom IC-706MKIIG functioning with my PC for data modes. I’ve been doing data modes since they began, and this is the first time I have been unable to get the system to work.

I have the sound functioning properly with both a SignaLink USB and an MFJ-1204 Interface. I suspected my very old CI-V interface may have been the culprit, so I acquired a new one. I have all functions to the radio and computer except that the software can’t activate transmit, I can vary frequency, change modes, and exchange BFOs etc., only I can’t activate the transmitter.

I have tried with HRD 6.4, the current DXlabs Commander, FLDigi, and WSJT-X.  I have tried every combination of the data parameters I can with no luck, i.e. word length, parity, stop bits, and DTR-RTS combinations.

I am connected to the radio via the rear data and control ports. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Just as an FYI, my Yaseu FT-891 works fine with the same sound hardware, PC, and software.

Andy – AJ0Z
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 01:29:39 PM »

I don't believe that there is a PTT command for the CI-V interface on the IC706mkIIg. You have to have an interface that grounds pin 3 (HSEND) for HF transmit or pin 7 (VSEND) for 144/430 MHz on the ACC connector on the back of the transceiver. Your SignaLink-USB has a PTT output that can be connected to one or both of those pins in order to key the PTT. Otherwise you have to have an interface circuit that will take one of the control signals from a computer serial port and key the PTT.

The SignaLink-USB has a vox type circuit built into it that will ground the keying line any time transmit tones are sent to the sound card in the SignaLink, so no software PTT settings are required with it.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
AJ0Z

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 02:21:17 PM »

Thanks for the info, I will look into that option

Andy
AJ0Z

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 03:25:22 PM »

Eureka! Problem solved.

I can use the 13 pin data port, with the SLMOD13I module in the Signalink, as the signals mentioned by AA4PB are available on both the 13 and 6 pin acc ports. What I have to do is use the data program, i.e. FLDigi or WSJT-X,  to do all the work and not try to use HRD or DxLabs Commander to control the radio.

Thanks Robert for sending me down the right direction. I knew I had this working a few years ago before using this rig in my moble.

Andy - AJ0Z
WM4RB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 09:59:22 AM »

In the Menu of the 705MKIIG see what speed the data port is set to. I had to set mine to.4800 baud.

Mike, WM4RB
WM4RB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 10:00:34 AM »

706MKIIG instead of 705MKIIG

Mike, WM4RB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: