The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DXpeditioneers Work Themselves  (Read 4574 times)
N0UN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2018, 11:11:54 AM »

Really Wayne, if you want to put yourself in the log by having someone work you from your station, or a remote operation, I'm really OK with that for a DX'pedition. You guys go through the expense and hell of going to these remote locations for the benefit of the rest of us, so why not? It's no skin off my back. But if you decide not to do so, I respect that as well.

John K7KB

From what folks are saying (and doing), I don't understand how somebody can go to my station, or their station, or any station for that matter, and use MY CALL when I am not there, and work a DXpedition I am on?  From a dozen or more bands/slots?  I also do not understand the rule (written or unwritten) if you go on a DXpedition, you don't have to work yourself, you get automatic credit?  Like where?  20 Meters?  160 Meters?

That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Now, I can understand calling up a remote station on the Internet from the DXpedition QTH, generating RF from that remote station and working my DXpedition. Hell, I can even imagine I could work myself, but even then working an entire DXpedition crew on dozens of bands/modes via a home country remote station would take forever.

CQ from T31T, N0UN at the controls
T31T, this is N0UN
N0UN, you're 5/9 goathead
T31T this is N0UN, Also 5/9 thank you
N0UN, you're in the log

N0UN
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 11:16:08 AM by N0UN » Logged

KD0PO

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2018, 11:25:04 AM »

Really Wayne, if you want to put yourself in the log by having someone work you from your station, or a remote operation, I'm really OK with that for a DX'pedition. You guys go through the expense and hell of going to these remote locations for the benefit of the rest of us, so why not? It's no skin off my back. But if you decide not to do so, I respect that as well.

John K7KB

From what folks are saying (and doing), I don't understand how somebody can go to my station, or their station, or any station for that matter, and use MY CALL when I am not there, and work a DXpedition I am on?  From a dozen or more bands/slots?  I also do not understand the rule (written or unwritten) if you go on a DXpedition, you don't have to work yourself, you get automatic credit?  Like where?  20 Meters?  160 Meters?

That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Now, I can understand calling up a remote station on the Internet from the DXpedition QTH, generating RF from that remote station and working my DXpedition. Hell, I can even imagine I could work myself, but even then working an entire DXpedition crew on dozens of bands/modes via a home country remote station would take forever.

CQ from T31T, N0UN at the controls
T31T, this is N0UN
N0UN, you're 5/9 goathead
T31T this is N0UN, Also 5/9 thank you
N0UN, you're in the log

N0UN

didn't the last Heard Island crew do that in reverse, a W6.. remoted into Heard and make some Qs  while sitting in his nice warm home???
3Z9DX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 11:30:47 AM »

John K7KB

John

This part of the topic was  just a sarcasm... not against any of great DXexpeditions... just against some behaviors and not clear rule about that.
If you check all logs with expeditions we went to....you will not find ourselves in th log...I have a huge possibilitys  to call my self  any time anywhere as i own my privet remote station, but I have never done it and I will never do it.. for many reasons.
I will also never ask my friends to use my callsign just to call me while i'm on DXexpedition.

I sent official request to ARRL to give me a very straight and clear answer regarding this point.
From logical point of view this 'unwritten rule' has no sens for me.
You are on one side or other side of the pileup...Your choice !

KJ4Z

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 11:33:40 AM »

didn't the last Heard Island crew do that in reverse, a W6.. remoted into Heard and make some Qs  while sitting in his nice warm home???

That would be me!  But I only worked Russians, not myself.  20 meters wasn't open to North America at the time, and I already had 20 CW from VK0IR.
N0UN

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2018, 11:36:16 AM »

I won't say who and where, but that EXACT situation is not far away.  I imagine a DXpedition could leave a working HF station at a location and folks could remote into it.  Maybe even for a price like they already do.  Some places all you'd need is 100 watts and multiband vertical.  Control op in Maine logged in on his smartphone and reading eHam.  Mind you, not some floating raft in the ocean that sends you a digital blip, but a real station that natives would be especially glad to have if ever needed for an emergency.

N0UN

N0UN

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2018, 11:41:00 AM »

That would be me!  But I only worked Russians, not myself.  20 meters wasn't open to North America at the time, and I already had 20 CW from VK0IR.

Damn Russians, again...

Roll Eyes

N0UN

AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2018, 12:07:15 PM »

didn't the last Heard Island crew do that in reverse, a W6.. remoted into Heard and make some Qs  while sitting in his nice warm home???

That would be me!  But I only worked Russians, not myself.  20 meters wasn't open to North America at the time, and I already had 20 CW from VK0IR.

Damn Russians, again...

Roll Eyes
N0UN

Emergency. Emergency. Everybody to get from street!
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2018, 12:23:07 PM »

You terrible, terrible operator; the Rebel DX Group shall have your head!  Modern technology, Drone DX Ops, Warm Homes...

The Humanity, The Humanity!  Just THINK of the DXers *trying* to *honestly* work Heard.... oh wait...

Good on you for it, and good on you for owning it Smiley

I hope to do the same to Cambodia for the challenge of it!

Jarrad

Thinking about it, there is probably more in the original Ham Ethos supporting calling a friend to go round to your station and work your group whilst your DXing: its a form of 'Relaying' a message (the original 'Relaying' of which included another Ham using 'modern technology' such as a car or phone to deliver a 'radiogram').

« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 12:35:50 PM by VK3BL » Logged

J.D. Mitchell BA  - VK3BL / XU7AGA - https://www.youtube.com/ratemyradio - Honesty & Integrity
N0UN

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2018, 12:42:59 PM »

Emergency. Emergency. Everybody to get from street!

One of the best movies, ever, lol!

N0UN

VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2018, 12:45:16 PM »

The Radio Amateur's Code

CONSIDERATE... He never knowingly operates in such a way as to lessen the pleasure of others.

LOYAL... He offers loyalty, encouragement and support to other amateurs, local clubs, the IARU Radio Society in his country, through which Amateur Radio in his country is represented nationally and internationally.

PROGRESSIVE... He keeps his station up to date. It is well-built and efficient. His operating practice is above reproach.

FRIENDLY... He operates slowly and patiently when requested; offers friendly advice and counsel to the beginner; kind assistance, cooperation and consideration for the interests of others. These are the marks of the amateur spirit.

BALANCED... Radio is a hobby, never interfering with duties owed to family, job, school or community.

PATRIOTIC... His station and skills are always ready for service to country and community.

-- adapted from the original Amateur's Code, written by Paul M. Segal, W9EEA, in 1928.

Essentially, don't attack other groups practices if it will drag the hobby into disrepute, especially just for the purposes of stirring up controversy to promote your group.

And definitely don't publicly announce you will ignore other fellow Hams just because you disagree with them holding you to account. 

The later of which is neither considerate nor friendly N0UN.

I'll repeat the question: What are Rebel DX's Values exactly?

*For the record, other groups frequently attack each other, and I'll stop donating to them forever if I see it.  As I feel quite supportive of Rebel's efforts to expand the practice of DXPeditioning, the only reason I've bothered to whine about this particular thread is out of respect for the group.  You hold those you respect to higher standards; thats just the way life works.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 12:51:40 PM by VK3BL » Logged

J.D. Mitchell BA  - VK3BL / XU7AGA - https://www.youtube.com/ratemyradio - Honesty & Integrity
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2018, 12:49:25 PM »

I don't understand how somebody can go to my station use MY CALL when I am not there, and work a DXpedition I am on?  From a dozen or more bands/slots?

DXCC Rule I.10 is perfectly clear that this is allowed.

As a guest op, I have made tens of thousands of QSO's using the station owner's callsign.

I have had several thousand QSO's made using my callsign when I wasn't present at the station.

I don't see any problem. DONE ALL THE TIME. And also specifically allowed by DXCC Rule I.10.

It doesn't matter whether it's done once or 18 times per op per DXpedition. Still just as allowed.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2018, 12:53:47 PM »

If i will  visit you one day ....should i use  W3/my callsign   or ...should i use N3QE ?  lol Wink

You can do either!

This is a biggest nonsens ''unwritten rule'' i ever saw... who made that ? ARRL ?  i don't think so..

Very much a written rule. IT IS SPELLED OUT PERFECTLY CLEARLY IN THE DXCC RULES.
3Z9DX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2018, 12:56:48 PM »

I don't understand how somebody can go to my station use MY CALL when I am not there, and work a DXpedition I am on?  From a dozen or more bands/slots?

DXCC Rule I.10 is perfectly clear that this is allowed.

As a guest op, I have made tens of thousands of QSO's using the station owner's callsign.

I have had several thousand QSO's made using my callsign when I wasn't present at the station.

I don't see any problem. DONE ALL THE TIME. And also specifically allowed by DXCC Rule I.10.

It doesn't matter whether it's done once or 18 times per op per DXpedition. Still just as allowed.

Is not allowed ! for regular use.
Some station owners using different callsign/some personal once/ for contest and allows team members to use it. This is the only one situation for contest time.

let's go further
let's say.. i'm at work...and i can't work DX station...can you call for me from my station using my callsign? or
can you call with my callsign from your station?  and tell me please whats the different ?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 01:05:45 PM by 3Z9DX » Logged
N0UN

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2018, 12:59:36 PM »

Since when does the ARRL (and their DXCC program) dictate what my Federal Communication Commission License Authorization allows (or disallows)?

Maybe somebody 'round these parts can show me where it says somebody else is allowed to use my callsign, my license, my authorization/class, etc. without me being present (as at least a control operator).

N0UN
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 01:03:32 PM by N0UN » Logged

VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2018, 01:01:16 PM »

Whilst Hams often like to include a 'call sign' in part of their own identity, the reality is in a lot of countries (if not the USA - I don't know), the call sign is allocated to a street address, or even an individual transmitter.

Ergo, there cannot be anything morally objectionable about letting a guest op use your station and "your call" to make a contact, as long as said contact is made from the licensed address (or transmitter) of the call sign!

The licensing transgressions of most DXPeditions far outweigh that of individual DXers, so the subject as a whole should rightly be taboo.  I will not go into further detail regarding the exceedingly common transgressions.  Email my QRZ address if you must know.

As a practical matter, DXPeditioners should not throw stones, ever.  Their houses are nearly always made of glass, and even if one particular DXPedition is squeaky clean the next one will not be as a matter of probability. 

THIS KIND OF THREAD SERVES NO ONE.

PS: Thanks for the email Dom, just read it Smiley
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 01:11:42 PM by VK3BL » Logged

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: