The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Compliment or Insult?  (Read 3791 times)
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 07:03:54 PM »

I don't think that was meant as an insult.
K7LZR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 08:20:33 AM »

As was already said, I think that he gave you a great complement. I was once in that young fellow's shoes, sitting with my original elmer in his upstairs barn loft hamshack circa 1978. I can still see & smell the tubes glowing in the Swan 700cx on his desk. He was in his late 70s at the time, I was in my late teens. I said something similar to him about him probably having forgotten more than I would ever know. He was silent for a moment and got a thoughtful look on his face. Finally he smiled and said "I'm not so sure. you're a new model so you probably have more memory installed!". Then he winked. I still miss that humor of his Smiley.
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2018, 10:00:30 AM »

I don't think that was meant as an insult.

At 77 I hear it often and it was never an insult.

Carl
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2018, 10:36:05 AM »

A variation of this compliment, which I don't take as a compliment is, upon learning I have an Extra Class ticket is, "I guess you know all the answers!"

I always replay, "No, but I know all the questions!" 

For those who need an explanation, I mean, if you don't know the questions you have no idea what answers to look for.

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
K1AVE

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 10:29:19 AM »

Realize that the basics have not changed. A carrier is still a carrier. Maxwell's equations still rule. SSB is still SSB - maybe the generation techniques have evolved but the basic theory is unchanged. Logic and trouble shooting skills still are important. And there's still parts and information available to build a basic CW rig and have some fun knowing that it all still works. Enjoy the original hobby every once and a while by putting the appliances to the side and do some hamming!
DRBEN

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2018, 11:34:16 AM »

If the expression is used as a compliment, the initial pronoun used is "you". You have probably forgotten more than I ever learned. That means you have great knowledge and the speaker is far behind you.

To use it as an insult, the pronoun is "I". Look sonny boy, I've probably forgotten more than you ever learned (and I still know much more than you ever will).
KOP

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 11:25:06 AM »

I was "on top of the world" until I realized that everything I've forgotten, would be irrelevant today and not even worth knowing.

Memories, god and bad, are never irrelevant.   

...Unless you're an amnesiac, agnostic, experiencing cognitive dissonance. Then it's all irrelevant.

I considered a microwave oven magnetron and a 4' dish as a drone-killer. The ERP would be on the order of a hundred thousand watts or so. ~anon

November 28, 2018, 09:16:04 AM
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 02:48:13 PM »

Take it as a Compliment everyday is a Blessed Day your next day is not guaranteed . Have A Joyous Day and  be Safe..73s
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: