The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tech Certificate  (Read 1711 times)
KM6RWB

Ignore
« on: April 14, 2018, 12:57:49 PM »

Am I missing something here? I downloaded my new Tech Licence and was really disappointed- it was like really small (5x7) and kinda plain- I know the govt is on a tight budget but man what a plain deal- I saw some licences from the 40's and 50's and they looked like...well important certificates  Roll Eyes. I know its just a license I put it in a frame and put it next to my howdy doody fan club certificate- I'm an old guy and I love this stuff hahaha - It's been a long week- 73- KM6RWB
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 01:31:10 PM »

Yes, I know what you mean, kind of El Cheapo looking. I just enlarged mine on a copy machine a bit bigger and it looks a little better now.
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 01:46:29 PM »

AE7Q website has a nifty certificate generator.....
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 02:40:37 PM »

Am I missing something here? I downloaded my new Tech Licence and was really disappointed- it was like really small (5x7) and kinda plain- I know the govt is on a tight budget but man what a plain deal- I saw some licences from the 40's and 50's and they looked like...well important certificates  Roll Eyes. I know its just a license I put it in a frame and put it next to my howdy doody fan club certificate- I'm an old guy and I love this stuff hahaha - It's been a long week- 73- KM6RWB

First off: What you downloaded isn't your license. Your license is the electronic record in the ULS. The printout is either a Reference Copy or an Official Copy of that record, as indicated by the "watermark" in the document pdf.

Next: The current document format --with a 5x7-inch "certificate" along with a wallet-sized copy-- has been in use for a long time. Although the FCC used to send it out on green watermarked "safety" paper, rather than the plain bond now it use.

Earlier, the Amateur Radio license form was just a fold-over wallet-sized document. Nothing suitable for framing. That's what I received when first licensed in 1977.

The only exception to that was a 7x9-inch "Amateur EXTRA Class Radio Operator License" certificate that was available only to Extra Class license holders, which was issued locally by FCC Field Offices to licensees who specifically requested one.

That certificate was similar in design, although smaller and different in color, to commercial licenses, which were the "nice certificates" that you're probably thinking of.

My recollection of the dates of the various format changes is hazy, but perhaps N2EY will chime in with the specifics.  Wink

AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 04:45:42 PM »

Congratulations on earning your license.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
KM6RWB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 05:57:26 PM »

Thank You Tishers- and the rest- I was just spending time with an observation 
DRBEN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 11:44:27 AM »

The ARRL issues 8.5 x 11 ("suitable for framing") license certificates to members ($12) and non-members ($15). They are modern looking but colorful and attractive.
http://www.arrl.org/license-certificates

See sample here:
http://www.arrl.org/files/file/VEs/Certificates-for-the-WEB%20-%20sample%201.jpg

« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 11:50:23 AM by DRBEN » Logged
KM6RWB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 11:37:04 AM »

Yeah I just made my own- looks pretty impressive for a basic tech ticket imho hahahaha-
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 06:34:34 PM »

Just more proof that an Amateur License is NOT what it once was nor is the hobby.So many so called operators who do no communications but they own computers with no license that make hundreds of contacts every day.There was a day that actual people made contacts but those days are long gone & those so called operators get really upset when anyone mentions their lack of operating.Maybe they are upset that anyone would talk about their computer when it can't defend itself.Pretty soon they won't eve need to be in the shack at all & still collecting awards like candy at Halloween.  Wink

Clayton
W4KVW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: