The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Personality Art Bell SK  (Read 4695 times)
W0BKR

Ignore
« on: April 14, 2018, 06:25:03 PM »

http://deadline.com/2018/04/art-bell-dies-paranormal-radio-show-host-of-coast-to-coast-am-was-72-1202364404/

Radio host Art Bell, whose nationally syndicated paranormal, supernatural and conspiracy themed show Coast to Coast AM kept many awake at night – for good reasons and bad – died at his Pahrump, Nevada home on Friday the 13th. Bell was 72.

During its peak in the 1990s, Bell’s show was broadcast on approximately 500 North American radio stations, airing from his isolated hometown of Pahrump on KNYE 95.1 FM, a station he founded.

According to the Coast to Coast AM website, Bell became an FCC-licensed radio technician at age 13 and once set a Guinness World Record for broadcasting solo for 116 straight hours while working as a DJ at KSBK in Okinawa, Japan.

Bell retired several times in his career, which included a short-lived show on SiriusXM satellite radio in 2013. His leaves always sparked rumors as to the “true cause” of his departures among the conspiracy minded.

Still, he could never stay away for long, as he told the Pahrump Valley Times in a 2013 interview. “It’s my life, and that’s all I have ever done,” he said. “I went through a lot of family problems, so that interrupted things, and I was overseas four years, and that certainly interrupted things. I went back into radio because I love it.”

That love was returned by his peers. Bell was inducted into the Nevada Broadcasters Association Hall of Fame in 2006 and the National Radio Hall of Fame in 2008.

Bell was born in Jacksonville, North Carolina, on June 17, 1945. He served in the the US Air Force as a medic during the Vietnam War.

No theory was too outlandish for the Coast To Coast AM show that Bell produced, running the gamut from UFOs to reports of strange creatures and stranger organizations. The all-night broadcast kept many a traveler company in the wee, small hours. Bell produced and ran the technical board for the show and had a strong bond with his listeners.

Part of his appeal was his nationwide reach. He joined the 50,000 watt clear channel KDWN in Las Vegas, reaching 13 western states. He later segued to Chancellor Broadcasting Company, and then transitioned to the Premiere Radio Networks.

Coast To Coast AM continued after Bell’s final retirement from it in 2010, with George Noory and George Knapp splitting hosting duties. Bell returned to radio in 2015 with a new show called Midnight in the Desert, available online and on a few stations. He announced what would be his final retirement on Dec. 11, 2015, citing unspecified security concerns at his home, a statement which fueled massive speculation among his followers.

Bell made several appearances in films and television, essentially playing himself. He was in the tv series Dark Skies (2007) and many documentaries, providing commentary on aliens, the Illuminati, and UFOs, among other topics.

There was no information immediately available on survivors or any memorial plans.
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 08:37:53 AM »

In keeping with the paranormal of Art.. he did die on Friday the 13th.

I bet that there will be UFO's and M.I.B.'s at his de-materialization (funeral)

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
KB4MNG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 05:45:55 PM »

Never got a chance to work ART but did listen to Coast to Coast on Saturday nights working night shift. Some really crazy stuff, some interesting, other stuff was not.

He had the voice and demeanor that was perfect for the show.

RIP ART
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 06:09:55 AM »

I listened to Art on the way home for many years while on 2nd shift. Coast to Coast a GREAT SHOW he will be missed.73ss
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 04:18:38 PM »

I seen a link on you-tube on a conversation Art had with another ham they had a picture of his shack ARTS SHACK.Wow. Really nice. The conservation was talking about how Art felt the direction of coast to coast took after he left.Art you will be missed.Have a Safe and Blessed day.73s

https://youtu.be/TbWN_ccdSUk
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 04:24:30 PM by KC8KTN » Logged
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 06:14:23 PM »

Art didn't just die--the chupacabra got him!  And the reptilian aliens who control the government are keeping it hushed up so nobody finds Elvis's secret hideout at Area 51. 

(Bye, Art--I sure had a lot of fun driving late at night listening to your show.)
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 06:28:46 PM »

Back in his heyday it was fun to watch him on the web stream, kicked back puffing Marlboro Lights during commercial breaks. Miss that show.
K5NOK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 07:58:44 PM »

I was driving across central Texas late one night and tuning my AM car radio. I bumped into Coast to Coast. I thought it was satire. I couldn't believe the callers. I laughed out loud. Then, slowly, I realized...the callers really believed it.

About 2 years ago, I was roaming around 40 meters at about 10 pm central time and I heard a pile-up. I started listening to hear the call sign of this exotic DX that had everybody so exited and it was W6OBB. ART Bell! He was only on the air  about 30 minutes and rag-chewing each contact.
I threw my call in a few times but was never picked up. Sigh.
KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 08:53:02 AM »

It wasn't the chalapa, it was the     shadow people.

KLC

EXTRALight  1/3 less WPM than a Real EXTRA
AF6LJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 09:04:34 AM »

I never worked Art on the air, called into his show and talked to him on two occasions.
I use to enjoy listening to him on 3840 after the show. He always had a great signal.
We will miss you Art.  Cry

Take Care
Sue,
AF6LJ

Don't Kalifornicate My Life
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 09:27:17 PM »

He did pass on Friday the 13th...

Thanks,
Dave
Amateur Radio: RFI help, Reviews, Setup information, and more...
https://www.nk7z.net
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 04:00:40 AM »

I seen a link on you-tube on a conversation Art had with another ham they had a picture of his shack ARTS SHACK.Wow. Really nice. The conservation was talking about how Art felt the direction of coast to coast took after he left.Art you will be missed.Have a Safe and Blessed day.73s

https://youtu.be/TbWN_ccdSUk

Five-day gap after Chucky's last post, and before the next one.  Thread got curiously shorter, too. 
Hmmmmm..... must be an Area 51 experiment.

AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 04:20:51 AM »

Five-day gap after Chucky's last post, and before the next one.  Thread got curiously shorter, too. 
Hmmmmm..... must be an Area 51 experiment.

Uh-oh!  K9MHZ is on to something.  There's a conspiracy here!

I bet he'll be kidnapped and replaced by one of the grey aliens.  And if we ASK K9MHZ, he'll DENY being an alien pretending to be K9MHZ--which will PROVE that he's an alien!

Oh, how are we going to keep things straight with Art gone?    ;-)
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 06:04:43 AM »

My bet's on illegal aliens.

RIP, 'OBB.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2018, 07:16:26 PM »

My bet's on illegal aliens.
Using illegal frequencies, and wearing the rank of Captain.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: