The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Programming FTM-3200  (Read 1650 times)
KD9FRQ

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2018, 04:03:40 AM »

I am having trouble adding a new repeater to my FTM-3200.

The manual is not very clear on adding all the information.

It says select the freq, tone, etc..then save it.  The main menu has the PL tone set to 88.5 but it is still saving the incorrect tone.

Does someone have a more clear and concise programming step list?

If so, please post it.  I need to learn how to do this manually as all operators need to know.  I can program my FT-7900.

Thanks in advance.

Ed, KD9FRQ
N8GD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 07:15:14 AM »

You must setup everything in VFO mode.  Press and hold SETUP to get to the SETUP menu.  Rotate the main dial until you find menu number 45, TONE FRQ, then press SETUP once again.  Dial in the tone frequency you desire then press SETUP again to exit back to the setup menu.  Now rotate the main dial to find menu number 42, SQL TYPE.  Press SETUP again.  Rotate the main dial to select TONE to send transmit the PL tone only (encode), or select TSQL to both send the PL tone and use the tone back from the repeater to open your squelch - encode/decode (less often used, but this is call full CTCSS).  Press SETUP to return to the setup menu after you make your selection and SETUP again to exit.  Now select your output power.  If you dialed in a repeater frequency, you're all setup with the offset (done automatically by the radio).  Now, save the whole configuration to the memory slot as before.  You MUST do all this is VFO mode, and not leave VFO until you have saved the configuration for that repeater to memory.  You also cannot overwrite memories - an individual memory has to be cleared prior to writing a new frequency/configuration to it.  I think you may have been missing the SQL TYPE step, and that was causing problems - the tone is set, but the radio doesn't know what to do with it until the squelch type is set.  Good luck!
N4MU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 07:48:52 AM »

Alternative to N8GD comments (all correct by the way) but...
-OR-
Buy the RT Systems programming package. You'll not regret it and you'll wonder what took you so long.
I promise!
KD9FRQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 08:30:52 AM »

-OR-
Buy the RT Systems programming package. You'll not regret it and you'll wonder what took you so long.
I promise!
I fully understand about using RT Systems software. that is what I ended up doing to get the new repeater in the radio so I had third-layer back up ready for the event I was supporting this weekend.

That being said, I want to be able to program it manually (or least least have a good cheat sheet) in case I have to do it while away from my computer or computer can't be used to do power limitations.
KD9FRQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 08:32:25 AM »

You must setup everything in VFO mode.  [edited]  Good luck!

Thank you.  VFO mode was not very clear to me in the manual.
N4MU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 07:36:32 AM »

-OR-
I promise!
I fully understand about using RT Systems software. that is what I ended up doing to get the new repeater in the radio so I had third-layer back up ready for the event I was supporting this weekend.

That being said, I want to be able to program it manually (or least least have a good cheat sheet) in case I have to do it while away from my computer or computer can't be used to do power limitations.
I understand completely. I use RT around the fixed location but will take along on our upcoming 4 month RV excursion...because when I get on the road I will have forgotten all the manual steps... I also have the pertinent pages of the manual (hard copy) in the vehicle...downloaded copy of manual in laptop...seems when I need to I can never recall steps...73, Bill
PS. Whats your opinion on Yaesu "stealing" two mic buttons for the group stuff? I hated it. They slipped that one in on the latest models (mine) and I have absolutely no use for groups!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: