The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why No Activity In So Cal?  (Read 4680 times)
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2018, 10:09:38 AM »

Well said, Brian.  E Pluribus Unum.  Many used to bemoan the loss of the military in the SF Bay Area (including me!!).  Some said it was due to "left of center" focus of the immediate area.  Nope.  Strictly cost of living for the military, I'm afraid, along with lack of need.

But, Lockheed's still there, sitting next to NASA-Ames and the old Moffett NAS.....that still has operable runways for test flights.  Sitting in the middle of what were truck vegetable farms and orchards are a laundry list of Silicon Valley's greatest, including Intel and Apple.

I used to manage the utility high voltage transmission and substation network from there to just north of Santa Barbara.  And, I grew up on a farm in the San Joaquin Valley.  And, a high school buddy in my central valley town earned his PhD from Cal and is the inventor of SPICE.  And a former ham.

A simple test:  Why doesn't Tim Cook, an Alabama native and graduate of Auburn and Apple CEO, move a division down here? Simple.  The nexus of talent is right where he is.....Silicon Valley.  He can't move that.

Sure, I didn't mention Huntsville.  To be fair, it's famous for rocket innovation, but it was the diverse cadre of Dr. Von Braun and his German associates who made that happen when they moved there.  We should all observe from that lesson: Diversity in origin and thought is a win for all who collaborate....

CA.  'tain't nothing like it.  I might have left, but I still have roots....

73, Brian, and keep up the great swapfest and club.

K5UJ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2018, 03:50:29 AM »

CA may be a nice place to live (and I'm not including S.F. and L.A. unless you are rich), but I wouldn't care for the 13% income tax and the regular water shortages that have been taking place.  But, if one can deal with all of that, it may work out okay, unless you are a ham and want to have decent antennas.   Now, there's a forthcoming requirement that all new homes have solar panels on them.  Solar panels and inverters = RFI in most cases.   Does this sound like a desirable place for a ham?  I don't think so, not if your kind of ham radio is mine:  analog HF and big antennas and QRO.     
AF6LJ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2018, 03:59:52 AM »

No matter how you stack it, Kalifornia is not a nice place to live.

Take Care
Sue,
AF6LJ

Don't Kalifornicate My Life
K6BRN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2018, 07:52:17 AM »

Robert (K5UJ):

CA may be a nice place to live (and I'm not including S.F. and L.A. unless you are rich)

We'll, you are pretty much on the outskirts of Chicago, whose murder rate makes L.A. look like Disneyland.  So I'm sure it's just a personal preference.  Regarding being poor or rich, that's always relative - there is always someone with less and someone with more.  SoCal is a whole lot better in the winter than Chicagoland, when you're homeless or can't afford heat.  And there are plenty of urban environments with higher taxes than L.A, like, for instance, New York City.  For the majority of the 40 million who live in CA, North to South (about 800 miles), it's not too bad - there are MUCH worse places and relatively few better ones.

Susan (K5UJ):

No matter how you stack it, Kalifornia is not a nice place to live.

For you, perhaps, and sorry to hear that.  Maybe you should think about moving?

But for a lot of people, from a lot of places, including me, it's a bundle of opportunity that's allowed us to get the heck out of a much, much worse place, and prosper. And the move was NOT easy.  Empty pockets, running away from a disintegrating post-industrial town whose murder rate made even Chicago look relatively safe.  But lots of possiblities to explore, if you are determined and don't give up.

Brian - K6BRN
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2018, 04:05:00 PM »

CA may be a nice place to live.. but I wouldn't care for the 13% income tax.....
Have to chuckle here....  I can't count the number of former Midwest state ex-pats [who] complained of sky-high real estate taxes.  Five, six, and one above ten percent on the value of one's home per year.  CA may have 13% as a top incremental income tax rate, but 1.25% of your residence value per year isn't bad. How's the Illini rate?

.....  you are a ham and want to have decent antennas.   ......... if your kind of ham radio is mine:  analog HF and big antennas and QRO.     
Hmmm.  CA has very, very low relative humidity, unlike where I live in AL.  Aluminum here corrodes easily outdoors.  And then, there's lightning.  And, occasional tornadoes.  CA doesn't have those to speak of.  I have to disconnect and ground all of my coax from my dipoles.  And, I've had several indirect hits in the last 12 years.  And, I don't live atop a ridge either.  I'd guess that Illinois has a lot more lightning, at least, than CA does.

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: