The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ten-Tec: NOT wanting to start a war here...  (Read 20124 times)
K5XS

Ignore
« on: April 24, 2018, 02:46:08 PM »

I am sincerely curious if anyone has heard anything from Dishtronix/Ten-Tec recently.

I have no interest in starting an argument here (and I have no opinion one way or the other if they are being reborn or not), but I am sincere in asking if anyone has any recent insight.  I have several pieces of Ten-Tec gear and am about to buy some more equipment and am pondering if there is anything meaningful from them on the horizon.

The last news update on their website is over a year ago, and the "missive" from the Ten-Tec "Head Capitalist in Charge" was in the fall of last year.

I looked to see if Ten-Tec (or Dishtronix) were exhibiting at Dayton and as best I can tell they are not.

The Ten-Tec newsgroup is silent on the subject of their future.

Does anyone have any news?

Thanks and 73,

Bernie K5XS
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 03:04:18 PM »

Here we go again.... Grin
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 04:45:30 PM »

Here we go again.... Grin

LOL!

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 05:59:18 PM »

Ten-Tec might have been as much a labor of love as it was a business enterprise. I'm not saying that I know that, just intuiting. They were nearly out of business when they brought out the Scout 555. Those flew off the shelves for awhile but eventually the ham division was kaput. If anybody is going to bring the brand back it might have to be a labor of love all over again. Are any of the new owners licensed hams? If not then I think Ten-Tec is over with.

Maybe the Trump admin can give low cost loans to American manufacturers of Ham gear so they can get market share from the Japanese manuf's, no? Japan did that to wrest market share away from Americans a few decades ago...

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 06:27:20 PM »

Everybody knows that they'll be shipping new product by summer. Common knowledge.  Grin

I jest of course.
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 08:53:22 PM »

. Are any of the new owners licensed hams? If not then I think Ten-Tec is over with.

this has been beat to death in endless discussions

https://www.qrz.com/db/N8WFF

Look at, and read N8WFF's bio on QRZ.

That is the face and name behind the new Ten Tec company.

Pete
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 08:59:43 PM by K1ZJH » Logged
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 09:00:32 AM »

The last Ten Tec post was locked by the moderator after 69 replies.  Apparently someone does not like us saying mean old things about this fine upcoming company.  Lets see how many posts this one gets before it is shuttered.  As a side note, Distronics makes a solid state amp but I have seen no reviews as of late that would indicate that they are selling any. 
Art
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 10:08:06 AM »

The last Ten Tec post was locked by the moderator after 69 replies.  Apparently someone does not like us saying mean old things about this fine upcoming company.  Lets see how many posts this one gets before it is shuttered.  As a side note, Distronics makes a solid state amp but I have seen no reviews as of late that would indicate that they are selling any. 

What's wrong with locking the thread?

There's really not anything to say on the subject because they are not a functioning ham radio company.

They don't actually sell ham stuff.
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 10:35:26 AM »

They are not selling ham gear, but they are servicing legacy equipment.  I understand they are reworking the Prometheus design, which is getting rather dated.

If anything comes of it, i am sure it will show on their website.  I have enough spare parts to keep my Ten Tec's running for as long as I am going to be on this side of the ground.  They still do what I need.
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 11:15:14 AM »

Enough with TenTec.  What I really want to know is, where's HeathKit!
W3PH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 06:43:47 AM »

Or Hallicrafters or Hammarlund or National or Swan or ... 

WA2CWA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 10:14:53 AM »

Enough with TenTec.  What I really want to know is, where's HeathKit!

We can beat this topic to death again too   Grin
https://shop.heathkit.com/shop
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 02:09:33 PM »

Ten-Tec still appears in stasis wrt raising enough funds to gear up rig production, but at least they arent comatose and still make commercial radios and repair old ham rigs in TN.
eham is full of prognostications regarding what the future holds, but i guess we'll just have to wait and see... 

Looks like Alpha Amplifiers (which like Ten-Tec was also purchased by Mike / Dishtronix) is active: https://www.alpharfsystems.com ; maybe the store at www.tentec.com will start also offering xcvrs again at some future date.

meanwhile -- anyone have a Ten-Tec MODEL 712 - USB SOUNDCARD DIGITAL MODE ADAPTER CABLE in excess to their needs now that it is 2018?

if so please contact me at my QRZ email -- i am wanting to try digital with my blue screen Jupiter
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 09:04:22 PM »

Or Hallicrafters or Hammarlund or National or Swan or ... 

I think they are all on Ebay these days along with Ten Tec.  Grin 

Anyway, Hamvention is coming up so I guess we will see what magic they have in store.  Still waiting on the Model 4040 auto antenna tuner, it looked really cool.  Alpha announced that tuner at Dayton what, five years ago?   I can't wait.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 06:24:39 AM »

Still waiting on the Model 4040 auto antenna tuner, it looked really cool.  Alpha announced that tuner at Dayton what, five years ago?   I can't wait.

Isn't this "wait for the vaporware" part of what kills ham radio companies with good intentions and lofty goals but no product?

Company makes announcement, folks stop buying stuff in wait of the promised product, but announced product never appears.

In the case of Ten-Tec, the vaporware is not a specific promised new product. The vaporware in Ten-Tec's case, is the vapor of them being a viable ham radio manufacturer at all.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 06:30:04 AM by N3QE » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: