The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ten-Tec: NOT wanting to start a war here...  (Read 20179 times)
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2018, 08:02:10 AM »

I build and test tactical and professional transceivers for DoD, NATO and public safety/commercial customers.
 There just simply isn't any money to be made in the U.S. manufacture of "affordable" amateur transceivers or consumer electronics (just my 2ยข).
 I wish Ten-Ten continued success in manufacturing "profitable" products.
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2018, 12:14:43 AM »

Ten-Tec still appears in stasis wrt raising enough funds to gear up rig production, but at least they arent comatose and still make commercial radios and repair old ham rigs in TN.
eham is full of prognostications regarding what the future holds, but i guess we'll just have to wait and see... 

Looks like Alpha Amplifiers (which like Ten-Tec was also purchased by Mike / Dishtronix) is active: https://www.alpharfsystems.com ; maybe the store at www.tentec.com will start also offering xcvrs again at some future date.

meanwhile -- anyone have a Ten-Tec MODEL 712 - USB SOUNDCARD DIGITAL MODE ADAPTER CABLE in excess to their needs now that it is 2018?

if so please contact me at my QRZ email -- i am wanting to try digital with my blue screen Jupiter

update: some kind soul on one of the Ten-Tec reflectors sold me a TT-712 digital interface adapter cable at a very reasonable price, and so i am now enjoying FT8 using my 2009 Blue Screen Jupiter (aka: Ten-Tec 538). 

Everyone has their own radio tastes, but let me just add that a few years ago when HRO was having a clearance sale on the Kenwood TS-590s, i sold my (2003 model) green screen Jupiter and bought one.  Within a month I was very much missing my Jupiter because it creates so much less listening fatigue due to its quiet receive on SSB and much sweeter sounding CW to my ears (no matter how i set the 590 equalizer). The 590s was advantageous in terms of having 6 meters and a much faster auto-tuner,  but 2 to 4 seconds isnt really that long anyway.  The 590s was a fine rig (especially on SSB) and was also a bit more modern in terms of PC interface ease & options, and it had a lot more buttons to play with (both a blessing and a curse Smiley ), but I ended up quickly selling the 590s and buying a much newer (used) Jupiter and am very happy that i did, even more so now that i have finally tried digital.  FT8 is a real blessing at this point in the solar cycle Cheesy

If you are thinking about buying a used Jupiter -- go for it.   If you have a Jupiter you feel is superfluous because TT is not actively making ham xcvrs at this point in time, and you are one of those folks here who have written them off -- please contact me and I will take your Jupiter off your hands at no charge  Grin
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2018, 07:12:08 AM »

Ten-Tec still appears in stasis wrt raising enough funds to gear up rig production, but at least they arent comatose and still make commercial radios and repair old ham rigs in TN.
eham is full of prognostications regarding what the future holds, but i guess we'll just have to wait and see... 

Looks like Alpha Amplifiers (which like Ten-Tec was also purchased by Mike / Dishtronix) is active: https://www.alpharfsystems.com ; maybe the store at www.tentec.com will start also offering xcvrs again at some future date.

meanwhile -- anyone have a Ten-Tec MODEL 712 - USB SOUNDCARD DIGITAL MODE ADAPTER CABLE in excess to their needs now that it is 2018?

if so please contact me at my QRZ email -- i am wanting to try digital with my blue screen Jupiter

update: some kind soul on one of the Ten-Tec reflectors sold me a TT-712 digital interface adapter cable at a very reasonable price, and so i am now enjoying FT8 using my 2009 Blue Screen Jupiter (aka: Ten-Tec 538). 

Everyone has their own radio tastes, but let me just add that a few years ago when HRO was having a clearance sale on the Kenwood TS-590s, i sold my (2003 model) green screen Jupiter and bought one.  Within a month I was very much missing my Jupiter because it creates so much less listening fatigue due to its quiet receive on SSB and much sweeter sounding CW to my ears (no matter how i set the 590 equalizer). The 590s was advantageous in terms of having 6 meters and a much faster auto-tuner,  but 2 to 4 seconds isnt really that long anyway.  The 590s was a fine rig (especially on SSB) and was also a bit more modern in terms of PC interface ease & options, and it had a lot more buttons to play with (both a blessing and a curse Smiley ), but I ended up quickly selling the 590s and buying a much newer (used) Jupiter and am very happy that i did, even more so now that i have finally tried digital.  FT8 is a real blessing at this point in the solar cycle Cheesy

If you are thinking about buying a used Jupiter -- go for it.   If you have a Jupiter you feel is superfluous because TT is not actively making ham xcvrs at this point in time, and you are one of those folks here who have written them off -- please contact me and I will take your Jupiter off your hands at no charge  Grin

You are welcome to all of them.  Quiet you say?  Hook it up to a 50 ohm dummy load and crank up the volume, hear all of the digital noise?  Yeah it's there but with a crummy antenna on a noisy band you don't hear it, it's there though adding to the noise.  Crappy transmit audio, deaf as a stone above 20 meters, Serious overload and image problems on a good antenna, weird controls, build quality like a toy radio, the list goes on.  I had one in 2002 for two weeks and returned it, if you find it please keep it cause you can bet I don't want that clunker.   Roll Eyes

N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2018, 09:27:47 AM »

You are welcome to all of them.  Quiet you say?  Hook it up to a 50 ohm dummy load and crank up the volume, hear all of the digital noise?  Yeah it's there but with a crummy antenna on a noisy band you don't hear it, it's there though adding to the noise.  Crappy transmit audio, deaf as a stone above 20 meters, Serious overload and image problems on a good antenna, weird controls, build quality like a toy radio, the list goes on.  I had one in 2002 for two weeks and returned it, if you find it please keep it cause you can bet I don't want that clunker.   Roll Eyes

wow, the guy who has spent more than 1/3 of all his eham posts denigrating Ten-Tec, now shares his negative thoughts in an all-too-relative rant about "crappy" audio, "crummy" antennas and toys not up to his (relative) standards or which he is unable to operate well. i hope you are better able to stay out of fields you do not find to your liking, and that you are not as cantankerous in person, as you are when it comes to all things TT  Roll Eyes 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 09:37:48 AM by N9KX » Logged
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2018, 10:20:02 AM »

I was quite surprised when I put one of my Omni VI rigs on my HP 8640 sig gen.  Amazing sensitivity and a low noise floor, much more than was needed.  Ten Tec admitted to having done some trade offs between birdies and performance. No rig is perfect.

KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2018, 10:48:02 AM »

wow, the guy who has spent more than 1/3 of all his eham posts denigrating Ten-Tec, now shares his negative thoughts in an all-too-relative rant about "crappy" audio, "crummy" antennas and toys not up to his (relative) standards or which he is unable to operate well. i hope you are better able to stay out of fields you do not find to your liking, and that you are not as cantankerous in person, as you are when it comes to all things TT  Roll Eyes 

Wrong, I have devoted very few posts to Ten Tec, most are in other areas.  You seem to have a mighty thin skin there, I did say that I thought my Omni D was a better radio and I meant it.  You have made your fan boy status clear many times, I bet more than a third of your posts are devoted to praising a defunct company.  No matter, I posted an opinion that had nothing to do with you.  I have every right to post my opinion and will continue to do so. 

The truth is that Ten Tec radios were always sort of cheaply constructed, that is just a fact.   No need to get all emotional about it, it was just economics in tough market.  In my opinion the Jupiter sucked, I don't care if you thought it fell out of heaven, there were better radios.   For a few bucks more I picked up a brand new FT-1000MP.  It was a lot better in every way.

Anyway, don't start making personal attacks just because you don't like someone else's opinion, that's just weak and if you want to call someone cranky or cantankerous look in the mirror.

N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2018, 12:41:12 PM »

The truth is that Ten Tec radios were always sort of cheaply constructed, that is just a fact.   No need to get all emotional about it, it was just economics in tough market.  In my opinion the Jupiter sucked, I don't care if you thought it fell out of heaven, there were better radios.   For a few bucks more I picked up a brand new FT-1000MP.  It was a lot better in every way.

Anyway, don't start making personal attacks just because you don't like someone else's opinion, that's just weak and if you want to call someone cranky or cantankerous look in the mirror.

sounds like you are basing your opinions re: the Jupiter on one that you happened to own in 2002 (and thus you never operated one with the many subsequent firmware revision updates), but even if that is the case what exactly "sucked" about it? you didnt like the way it looked?   too roomy inside and the front panel not crowded enough?   let's hear some objective reasons for why you say your Jupiter "sucked"?

your posts regarding all things Ten-Tec over the past few years are cantankerous -- that is not a personal attack of you in general, just an observation of your apparent inability to stop incessantly criticizing Ten-Tec whenever the topic comes up here. (you dont have to like TT or avoid critical posts re: them -- this is more an issue with your apparent inability to say your peace and give it a rest.  iow, thou doest protest too much).
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2018, 01:12:51 PM »

sounds like you are basing your opinions re: the Jupiter on one that you happened to own in 2002 (and thus you never operated one with the many subsequent firmware revision updates), but even if that is the case what exactly "sucked" about it? you didnt like the way it looked?   too roomy inside and the front panel not crowded enough?   let's hear some objective reasons for why you say your Jupiter "sucked"?

your posts regarding all things Ten-Tec over the past few years are cantankerous -- that is not a personal attack of you in general, just an observation of your apparent inability to stop incessantly criticizing Ten-Tec whenever the topic comes up here. (you dont have to like TT or avoid critical posts re: them -- this is more an issue with your apparent inability to say your peace and give it a rest.  iow, thou doest protest too much).

So you got all of this angst because I bought a radio and didn't like it??? If anyone is protesting too much here it's you.  Roll Eyes

I suggest you don't worry what I think about a particular radio, I certainly don't care what you think.  The fact that you even pay attention to people who speak their minds regarding your favorite defunct radio company tell me you may be a little obsessed.

Why don't you do something more constructive than blasting me with nonsense because you got hurt feelings over a radio. 
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2018, 02:12:19 AM »

Quote from: KA4DPO

Quote from: N9KX

So you got all of this angst because I bought a radio and didn't like it??? If anyone is protesting too much here it's you.  Roll Eyes

you either dont know what the word "angst" means, or you are intentionally misusing it to dodge owning up to your incessantly cantankerous posts here on eham re: Ten-Tec over the past several years. 

I suggest you don't worry what I think about a particular radio, I certainly don't care what you think.  The fact that you even pay attention to people who speak their minds regarding your favorite defunct radio company tell me you may be a little obsessed.

i could care less what you think about a particular radio, but when you incessantly fill every Ten-Tec thread up with cantankerous opinions i am going to reply and call you out for it. 

Why don't you do something more constructive than blasting me with nonsense because you got hurt feelings over a radio. 

uh, my feelings arent hurt and it isnt "blasting you with nonsense" when i ask you to provide some objective reasons that you feel your 2002 Jupiter "sucked" -- it is however quite telling that you feel i am blasting you and so is your non-response to this question i asked (and which you continue to dodge):

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2018, 03:14:11 AM »

I see the funeral committee is still around.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2018, 07:40:09 AM »

I see the funeral committee is still around.

Sorry, no funeral pyres for you today, N9KX just got all butt hurt.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2018, 07:45:40 AM »

uh, my feelings arent hurt and it isnt "blasting you with nonsense" when i ask you to provide some objective reasons that you feel your 2002 Jupiter "sucked" -- it is however quite telling that you feel i am blasting you and so is your non-response to this question i asked (and which you continue to dodge):

So what is this question I am dodging? I could not find a direct question from you anywhere so please be specific and try to keep it short and to the point.  I'm sorry you got all butt hurt over a radio.
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2018, 12:11:31 PM »

Don't feed the trolls. They love rolling in the mud.
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2018, 12:35:37 AM »

my feelings arent hurt and it isnt "blasting you with nonsense" when i ask you to provide some objective reasons that you feel your 2002 Jupiter "sucked" -- it is however quite telling that you feel i am blasting you and so is your non-response to this question i asked (and which you continue to dodge):

So what is this question I am dodging? I could not find a direct question from you anywhere so please be specific and try to keep it short and to the point. 

either you did not look very hard at the post you were responding to or your reading comprehension is experiencing serious QSB.  here, i will re-transmit:

sounds like you are basing your opinions re: the Jupiter on one that you happened to own in 2002 (and thus you never operated one with the many subsequent firmware revision updates)?,  but even if that is the case what exactly "sucked" about it? you didnt like the way it looked?   too roomy inside and the front panel not crowded enough?   let's hear some objective reasons for why you say your Jupiter "sucked"?

in a nutshell the direct question is: what objective reasons do you have to say that the Ten-Tec Jupiter "sucked"?
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2018, 09:55:29 AM »

my feelings arent hurt and it isnt "blasting you with nonsense" when i ask you to provide some objective reasons that you feel your 2002 Jupiter "sucked" -- it is however quite telling that you feel i am blasting you and so is your non-response to this question i asked (and which you continue to dodge):

So what is this question I am dodging? I could not find a direct question from you anywhere so please be specific and try to keep it short and to the point. 

either you did not look very hard at the post you were responding to or your reading comprehension is experiencing serious QSB.  here, i will re-transmit:

sounds like you are basing your opinions re: the Jupiter on one that you happened to own in 2002 (and thus you never operated one with the many subsequent firmware revision updates)?,  but even if that is the case what exactly "sucked" about it? you didnt like the way it looked?   too roomy inside and the front panel not crowded enough?   let's hear some objective reasons for why you say your Jupiter "sucked"?

in a nutshell the direct question is: what objective reasons do you have to say that the Ten-Tec Jupiter "sucked"?

OK, in a nutshell.  I did not like the weird multi control knob.  I found the pass band tuning was not as good as on other radios.  The rig had DSP but so did a lot of other radios at the time.  Ten Tec's DSP operated at 12KHZ which is audio even though they called it a third IF.  The DSP was not as good as I expected and the narrow filters had the artifact noise that I described earlier and the pass band tuning didn't seem to help. 

The radio did not have a manual notch filter and you can't use an auto notch on CW.  Lastly the AGC could not be adjusted by the user and there were noticeable pops on strong signals, also AGC pumping occurred from strong adjacent signals despite the DSP.  Several friends said the TX audio was not too good on air but that was not a major concern for me.

Lastly, while the QSK was really smooth the quirks in operating and performance just took the shine right off, and the rig really was cheaply constructed.  I sent it back for a refund, cost me shipping but that was OK.  I picked up a Yaesu FT-1000MP and it was a sweetheart rig.  The DSP was way better than the Ten Tec, and it had all of the operator features I wanted.

So that's it in a nutshell, I just did not care for the Jupiter. 

As I already stated, I did like my Omni D quite a bit but sold it because it got old.  I still like my Ten Tec 238B antenna tuner and I still think it is the best 2KW tuner ever made.  Unfortunately the company who made them is long gone now and a Walmart stands in its place.  I suppose that's progress.

So I have answered your question for you, I hope that puts your mind at ease because if you continue to make personal attacks against me I am going to start reporting it, I have every right to my opinions same as you except I keep my opinions focused on company or equipment issues and not other people.  That is how it is supposed to be.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: