The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CY0P paper logging  (Read 33954 times)
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »

Just put away the temporary antenna tuner/feedline that I needed to work them on 160 tonight--now have them on 5 bands!  Got them with 100 watts and an inverted L up 36 feet.

Zack W1VT
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2013, 10:15:56 PM »

I give the CY0 ops high praise for sticking with an area - such as JA - when they are asking for JA.  You certainly can't blame them for the others who keep calling.  This problem is obviously worse in EU, but still happens in NA and even JA.  I've seen a big drop in JA behavior in the last three years.  XZ1N calls for NA and I hear 20-30 JAs still calling.  That said, I still think the JA's are the best behaved with NA a close second, but it seems like more and more are following the E. EU lead of call a lot, all the time, no matter what.

I don't know if the CY0 op (I think it was AI5P who I enjoy working while on his many DXpeditions) was intending to work only JA and not UA0, ETC, but that was the gist I got.  I had to beg for them to work me when the JA's slowed down and I think "QRZ Asia" or "QRZ Asia and Pacific" would have worked a lot better.  I think lots of people assume KH2 is not far from KH6 and W6 when in fact it is 6K miles from W6 but only 1500 from JA, DU, and VK8. 

I actually broke through the NA pileup to CY0P on 17m today.  I let them know they had JAs calling and shortly thereafter they started asking for JA only.  All things considering where CY0 is located, I think they did a pretty darn good job, small annoyances aside  Grin

W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2013, 07:00:42 AM »

For those of you in North America, you might think of how difficult it is to work Macau (XX9) in Asia.  Polar path and significant station limitations result in short openings--they can be very strong if conditions are just right--but tremendously frustrating if they are busy working JAs!  Angry  More likely are short weak openings that require good operators on both ends.

Zack W1VT
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2013, 10:45:44 AM »

I was hoping for a 10m and 12m bandfill this time around but it wasn't to be. I saw them spotted on 10m and 12m for many days but not a peep heard in North Carolina.

They were very loud on the other bands. Did they ever work any 40m or 80m ssb? I notice that dxpedition ssb on those bands is becoming a bear due to camped out nets and ragchew groups who think nothing of qrm'ing the dx. The way on 40m seems to be for the DX to transmit around 7120 (even with all that endless slow cw) and listen on 7130.

Mark N1UK
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2013, 11:08:44 AM »

I was hoping for a 10m and 12m bandfill this time around but it wasn't to be. I saw them spotted on 10m and 12m for many days but not a peep heard in North Carolina.

I think you and me are just too close, inside the first skip zone. This is a DX that doesn't involve hardly any distance :-).
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2013, 11:49:12 AM »

For those of you in North America, you might think of how difficult it is to work Macau (XX9) in Asia.  Polar path and significant station limitations result in short openings--they can be very strong if conditions are just right--but tremendously frustrating if they are busy working JAs!  Angry  More likely are short weak openings that require good operators on both ends.

Zack W1VT

I couldn't get CY0P.   I haven't been on the radio much after doing the Hawaii Party, CQ RTTY and recent Oceania SSB - but when I was, and saw them on the cluster - even 15 and 20M I could just barely (like 22) at best.   The storm didn't help - I think I heard them best right before that - like 33.   I was hoping for LP but it's not open right now - if it was then 59 or near it.

Oh Well.....
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2013, 12:20:44 PM »

I couldn't get CY0P.

I am sorry to hear that. I got 10 QSO's that I didn't really need and the 10m and 12m ones eluded me.  I hope next time they take rtty with them as I need that mode on any band.

Mark N1UK
BA4TB

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2013, 06:05:46 PM »

Still no joy with them,not even one QSO Cry
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2013, 09:36:09 PM »

Could you hear them?  Do you have high noise where you live?

Jonathan W6GX
BA4TB

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2013, 04:35:35 AM »

Could you hear them?  Do you have high noise where you live?

Jonathan W6GX

No,I can't hear them,that is the most difficult region in China.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2013, 05:58:57 AM »

I got 10 QSO's that I didn't really need and the 10m and 12m ones eluded me.  I hope next time they take rtty with them as I need that mode on any band.  Mark N1UK
Like you, I couldn't find any scatter to paths to work them on the higher bands, like I did with JW9JKA--I was quite pleased to get him on 10M beaming west!  I've been able to get quite a few band fills on 12/10 recently.

Zack W1VT
K7JBQ

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2013, 03:04:59 PM »

How many DXpeditions took place before the invention of the personal computer? And what did they use? Paper logs.

Somehow the hobby survived.

Bill
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2013, 04:53:06 PM »

How many DXpeditions took place before the invention of the personal computer? And what did they use? Paper logs.

Somehow the hobby survived.

Bill

That's true and everyone can do what they want.   It just seems - when you have that many QSOs - you'd go digital.   How are they going to check a QSL card?   Someone going to enter that data into a computer?   

People used a horse to plow the fields before the tractor....
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2013, 06:33:28 PM »

I got 10 QSO's that I didn't really need and the 10m and 12m ones eluded me.  I hope next time they take rtty with them as I need that mode on any band.  Mark N1UK
Like you, I couldn't find any scatter to paths to work them on the higher bands, like I did with JW9JKA--I was quite pleased to get him on 10M beaming west!  I've been able to get quite a few band fills on 12/10 recently.

Zack W1VT

JW9JKA is over 3,000 miles as compared to about 650 for Sable.  I don't think JW9JKA was scatter.  I've had no luck with Sable on 10/12M over multiple expeditions.

I saw some 10M spikes on the P3 that were 70dB over the noise floor which is where a friend in town measured earlier but this station was in Central Texas.  10M has been pretty good since the equinox.
F5UKW

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2018, 08:00:22 AM »

any hope to have this CY0P's paper log converted someday for LoTW confirmation ?
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: