The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: still under warranty ?  (Read 1985 times)
K6UJ

Ignore
« on: May 01, 2018, 08:26:11 AM »

I see ham ads for Icom radios for sale indicating the radio is still under warranty.  Unless I am mistaken the Icom warranty is not transferable.   But I see this all the time in the ads.  Am I missing something here ?

Bob
K6UJ
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 08:39:34 AM »

I see ham ads for Icom radios for sale indicating the radio is still under warranty.  Unless I am mistaken the Icom warranty is not transferable.   But I see this all the time in the ads.  Am I missing something here ?

Bob
K6UJ

http://www.icomamerica.com/en/support/PartsAndService/warranty.aspx

Also, last paragraph on the registration page.http://icomamerica.com/en/support/register/default.aspx
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 10:03:43 AM »

That would mean that the seller either registered the radio or kept the original bill of sale.
Art
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 10:07:07 AM »

Interesting how most of ICOM products are 2-3 year warranties from manufacturing defects, EXCEPT for amateur radios.

Amateur radios have the defects built in to them, they just count on you not finding them for the first year.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
KA5ROW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 03:07:25 PM »

Policy Change: Icom America and its Icom Service Centers will now support and validate warranty repairs based on the serial number.

That could work agents you. Radios in the back room of the store may not be shuffled, so you could end up with a new radio that is two years old.
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 03:31:41 PM »

Policy Change: Icom America and its Icom Service Centers will now support and validate warranty repairs based on the serial number.

That could work agents you. Radios in the back room of the store may not be shuffled, so you could end up with a new radio that is two years old.

A warranty starts on the purchase/registration date.
NU8H

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 12:04:32 PM »

Are you saying that if I found a new old stock Icom IC-2AT and bought and registered it with Icom, the warranty would still be good?  I highly doubt it.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 01:33:14 PM »

Are you saying that if I found a new old stock Icom IC-2AT and bought and registered it with Icom, the warranty would still be good?  I highly doubt it.

If you purchased it from an authorized dealer, it wasn't sold "as is", and you registered it then yes the warranty should be good.

If you read the Icom policy, they are now simply managing warranty via the serial number. That doesn't mean that the warranty period clock is running on items sitting on the dealer shelves. The clock starts when the original purchaser buys the item and registers it. If he sells it before the warranty expires then the new owner automatically gets the remainder of the warranty. Icom now knows, based on the serial number, when that warranty expires so the new owner isn't required to provide proof of when the original owner purchased it. It seems to me that it's all good for the users.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: