The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disposal of Radio equipment when you become a Silent Key?  (Read 11033 times)
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2018, 01:12:58 PM »

I've instructed my estate in my will to destroy all my ham gear prior to dumping it at the recycling center.  Why? To avoid giving scavenger hams the satisfaction of ripping off my family by offering a penny on the dollar. I have seen many low life people in this hobby gleefully boast of how little they paid some widow for any variety of amateur radio items.  I would rather go to my rest knowing that greedy lowlifes won't get their paws on my stuff. I even set up a sledge hammer on the workbench with an itemized list on the wall of what to destroy. 

That is funny stuff.You actually think that you own it.If you owned it you could take it with you anywhere you go but in reality you have possession of stuff that when you leave it will stay here in some form or another.Even if they dump the stuff in the hole with you it still is NOT going anywhere.Sounds selfish to me but the world is full of selfish people who think only of themselves & they don't want anyone touching their toys.Bet you were the same way when you were a kid & nobody touched your precious toys right? You would rather your surviving family get ZERO than anything at all because of your own greed & someone else getting a great deal just burns you up.You are as bad as those folks or maybe even worse & you are here bragging about it.  Huh Shocked Roll Eyes Sad

Clayton
W4KVW
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2018, 01:37:37 AM »

It's not just hams that are lowlife scavengers ripping off estates

Lawyers and governments are even better at it....
KM4AH

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2018, 07:34:54 AM »

Physically moving a large amateur station is a lot of work. Taking down towers has it's on challenges. Selling the items directly which involves a hamfest or driving to meet somebody is a lot of work. Selling an item on eBay with the PayPal guarantee is risky. Plenty of crooked buyers out there.

So, before you start calling anybody a scavenger you should do it a couple of times and report back.
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2018, 03:30:29 PM »

Physically moving a large amateur station is a lot of work. Taking down towers has it's on challenges. Selling the items directly which involves a hamfest or driving to meet somebody is a lot of work. Selling an item on eBay with the PayPal guarantee is risky. Plenty of crooked buyers out there.

So, before you start calling anybody a scavenger you should do it a couple of times and report back.

There will be the chance soon enough, but he won't be the one selling.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2018, 10:41:46 AM »

On the bottom of all my equipment I have a yellow sticker with the current used price and the date.
KM4AH

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2018, 05:09:17 PM »

On the bottom of all my equipment I have a yellow sticker with the current used price and the date.

That's fine if some family member is capable of moving the equipment. But, typically there is nobody who is physically capable, knows anything about Hamfests, eBay, or online classified .

Yet, seems that some hams expect their spouse to get top dollar and anybody who expects any compensation for doing the work are is a scavenger.

So, what is it worth for somebody unrelated to dispose of a large ham station ?

It is unlikely that the survivor is going to let them take the equipment based on some percentage of completed sale price. The buyer is not sure of the condition of the equipment.

The last one I did I gave the lady a reasonable price and told her I would split any profit. And, I did.  Was like $469 each on $4000 of sales.

Then I had whatever time eBay gives the buyer for not as described claims. Luckily there were none. Probably 400 miles of travel.

I won't do it again.
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2018, 05:44:45 PM »

As a newer ham I did it for a family friend once. I got to see the rubbed off veneer that is some of us in the hobby and I vowed never again.
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2018, 01:21:36 PM »

I've instructed my estate in my will to destroy all my ham gear prior to dumping it at the recycling center.  Why? To avoid giving scavenger hams the satisfaction of ripping off my family by offering a penny on the dollar. I have seen many low life people in this hobby gleefully boast of how little they paid some widow for any variety of amateur radio items.  I would rather go to my rest knowing that greedy lowlifes won't get their paws on my stuff. I even set up a sledge hammer on the workbench with an itemized list on the wall of what to destroy. 

That is funny stuff.You actually think that you own it.If you owned it you could take it with you anywhere you go but in reality you have possession of stuff that when you leave it will stay here in some form or another.Even if they dump the stuff in the hole with you it still is NOT going anywhere.Sounds selfish to me but the world is full of selfish people who think only of themselves & they don't want anyone touching their toys.Bet you were the same way when you were a kid & nobody touched your precious toys right? You would rather your surviving family get ZERO than anything at all because of your own greed & someone else getting a great deal just burns you up.You are as bad as those folks or maybe even worse & you are here bragging about it.  Huh Shocked Roll Eyes Sad

Clayton
W4KVW

You really didn't understand the intent of what I wrote and you appear angry about this.  I simply do not want my family to have to deal with the scavengers pouring through my equipment and brow beating them to steal the items for pennies on the dollar.  This has nothing to do with denying my family a few bucks...and believe me I've plenty to leave them when I go.  I have managed estate sales for ham's widows before and each and every time most hams fail to exhibit any fairness when it comes to making an offer.  Many have bickered with the widow to the point that I had to intervene to relieve the widow of the stress the hams were forcing upon her.  I just don't want my family to have to deal with these lowlifes and believe me many are.  Any yes, I would rather know that my stuff went to the pit than go to an AH.  It has nothing to do with taking the crap with me or denying my family a few more measly dollars. It has everything to do with them avoiding the emotional stress perpetrated by bottom feeders.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2018, 01:50:51 PM »

It has everything to do with them avoiding the emotional stress perpetrated by bottom feeders.

Honorable, and I concur having seen this behavior more than once.
WY7I

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2018, 02:10:19 PM »

Well, there's a timely ad on this subject to be found on page 113 of the latest QST that came today.
Please check out this website: https://www.hamestate.com/

Sounds quite promising!

Paul
HAMMYGUY

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2018, 08:37:17 AM »

I went to a public auction recently.  This is a farm auction facility that had tons of miscellaneous things, poultry, plants, and cattle. In it were 2 SK ham estates that the families had put up for disposal.  The ham stuff was advertised on Facebook and Craigslist. When I arrived I already could see a couple of "dealers" prowling around looking at the stuff on display.  They were pretty obvious with them checking prices on their phones and seeing what pricing items were going for on eBay.  More arrived even later.  You could tell.  They were only hanging out near the ham gear and not wandering anywhere else.  

But when it came time for the auction, I was rather pleasantly surprised at what kind of prices the equipment was going for.  I'd say most of it went for 75 to 80 percent of what I would consider used value on the stuff.   The dealers were getting into heated bidding for some of the nicer equipment.  

So I guess the secret is advertising.  This tends to attract these dealers like flies to a fresh pile of manure.

And no I didn't buy much.  A couple of microphones that's it.

I've seen the same thing happen at other auctions and in those cases all that was mentioned was "ham gear" was in the list of things to be put up.  

Seemed like a pretty efficient way of disposing of the gear.  The families are saved the hassle of pricing and selling.  All they need to do is box the stuff up and deliver it to the auction yard.  The dealers fight over the stuff and get maximum price.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 09:01:20 AM by HAMMYGUY » Logged
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2018, 09:53:00 AM »

My parents died 12 days apart and left me with their things that filled three 30 yard dumpsters.  If I leave my kids with a corner of the basement to dispose of, I figure they're getting off pretty easy....
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2018, 05:29:16 PM »

Sometimes we just die forthwith, with no advance warning. Other times we decline over time and know the end is near. In either case, I suppose, depending on the volume of gear involved, we should either have something written in advance that declares the disposition of such, whether to an organization or individual, or have written instructions to the surviving family on what to do. Otherwise, we run the risk of exposing our loved ones to radio estate vultures.

Radio estate vultures are the most despicable, IMO.

SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2018, 06:21:16 PM »

RZP.  Very well said but don't forget about insurance company's to add to the lets rip of the people list.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2018, 05:12:50 AM »

SWMAN,

Very true. The difference is that generally speaking, you don't HAVE to have insurance, although there are exceptions. What you can't get away from is the government and its demands!
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: