The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disposal of Radio equipment when you become a Silent Key?  (Read 10631 times)
WX7P

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2018, 05:16:39 PM »

I've instructed my estate in my will to destroy all my ham gear prior to dumping it at the recycling center.  Why? To avoid giving scavenger hams the satisfaction of ripping off my family by offering a penny on the dollar. I have seen many low life people in this hobby gleefully boast of how little they paid some widow for any variety of amateur radio items.  I would rather go to my rest knowing that greedy lowlifes won't get their paws on my stuff. I even set up a sledge hammer on the workbench with an itemized list on the wall of what to destroy. 

That is funny stuff.You actually think that you own it.If you owned it you could take it with you anywhere you go but in reality you have possession of stuff that when you leave it will stay here in some form or another.Even if they dump the stuff in the hole with you it still is NOT going anywhere.Sounds selfish to me but the world is full of selfish people who think only of themselves & they don't want anyone touching their toys.Bet you were the same way when you were a kid & nobody touched your precious toys right? You would rather your surviving family get ZERO than anything at all because of your own greed & someone else getting a great deal just burns you up.You are as bad as those folks or maybe even worse & you are here bragging about it.  Huh Shocked Roll Eyes Sad

Clayton
W4KVW

You really didn't understand the intent of what I wrote and you appear angry about this.  I simply do not want my family to have to deal with the scavengers pouring through my equipment and brow beating them to steal the items for pennies on the dollar.  This has nothing to do with denying my family a few bucks...and believe me I've plenty to leave them when I go.  I have managed estate sales for ham's widows before and each and every time most hams fail to exhibit any fairness when it comes to making an offer.  Many have bickered with the widow to the point that I had to intervene to relieve the widow of the stress the hams were forcing upon her.  I just don't want my family to have to deal with these lowlifes and believe me many are.  Any yes, I would rather know that my stuff went to the pit than go to an AH.  It has nothing to do with taking the crap with me or denying my family a few more measly dollars. It has everything to do with them avoiding the emotional stress perpetrated by bottom feeders.

I agree with you completely. The scavenging has always been bad but it seems to have gotten worse. It seems like everyone is looking for the ultimate scam.

Up here in the Pacific Northwest there are multiple scavenger jerks spamming all the Craigslists with multiple ads looking for equipment. You KNOW they offer pennies on the dollar. These guys post constantly. That stuff likely goes directly to ebay.

I intend on giving away my equipment when I'm old and feeble. If I get hit by a bus or something before that time, the family has been instructed to donate any equipment to a school or Red Cross or some other group that will actually use the equipment. I'd rather the equipment go to a place like the aforementioned rather than line the pockets of some profiteer.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2018, 05:46:02 PM »

Radio estate vultures are the most despicable, IMO.
KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2018, 03:57:01 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imRMIKJ3uYE

8 min. in.

klc

EXTRALight  1/3 less WPM than a Real EXTRA
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2018, 11:36:57 PM »

Well.... vultures serve a purpose.  If they're radio vultures, they serve the same purpose.  Eliminate stuff. 

If the executor or Mommy knows what the stuff is worth, the vultures do without!

So if you want to help.....make sure there is record of what the stuff is worth or at least the minimum "take away" price!

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
G6URM

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2018, 10:28:43 AM »

I too have told my executer to either use the stuff herself  ( been trying to get her interested ) or destroy it ALL - - in fact - IF  I have time and the energy before signing off for the last time I  shall be taking a big hammer to the lot of it   - my gear - I payed for it - so I will do what I want with it - after all who has given ME anything ?? - NO ONE IN 30 ODD YEARS THATS WHO  - I have given many hams stuff in the past  - only to get my kindness thrown in my face by some - or just quickly forgotten by others   ( to say nothing of one asshole who promptly put it on ebay at a considerable profit ) - so I agree with the post from another saying he was also going to have it destroyed

and IF  i peg it before i do get to give it all the chop  - or if my wishes get ignored - ITS ALL CURSED !!  - NO GOOD WILL COME OF OWNING ANY OF IT  ( EXCEPTING MY AFORE MENTIONED EXEC )  - AND YOU WILL BE HAUNTED BY G6URM - WHO WILL WHACK YOU AROUND THE HEAD WITH A ROLLED UP COPY OF RADCOM/QST /PRACTICLY WIRELESS / PICK YOUR POISON  - WHEN YOU ARE SLEEPING  Tongue Tongue Cheesy Cheesy

heck i go to rallys now and people i have not seen in years sidle up and say " thought you was SK "  - so you think i'm leaving anything to you lot  ............................ NOT GONNA HAPPEN   Grin Grin Grin

KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2018, 11:17:24 AM »

Someone needs a HUG..
EVERYBODY PLEASE BE SAFE. Have a Joyous Day and be a good neighbor. 73s
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2018, 01:48:58 AM »

A lot has to depend on what the gear is. Some old items are so rare that destroying them is as much vandalism as burning an original painting by Van Gogh or Constable would be - and burning in Hell for eternity would be an insufficient penalty.
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2018, 01:23:30 PM »

Someone needs a HUG..
EVERYBODY PLEASE BE SAFE. Have a Joyous Day and be a good neighbor. 73s

Keep asking
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2018, 04:37:12 PM »

An eham sponsor.

https://www.hamestate.com
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up