The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Analog-Digital Scanner RS PRO96  (Read 1369 times)
K6QVA

Ignore
« on: May 05, 2018, 10:15:23 PM »

Radio Shack Pro 96 Scanner, receives analog but will not receive digital transmissions.

I have a Radio Shack Pro 96 Analog - Digital Scanner used for monitoring local Sheriff and Fire as a RACES member. The unit will accept the cloning of all the local frequencies but will only respond to analog signals, not digital activity.

With the best of intentions a couple of guys in our club purged the unit (factory reset), entered all local frequencies using the cloning technique, then a laptop program. It shows in the the menu having those frequencies but the unit will not respond to the digital transmissions, only analog.

Any ideas on what is going on with this unit? None of us are gurus with scanners. I was hoping someone reading this had the same or similar problem and knew a fix. Could be something simple, maybe not.

Note, this unit was purchased new by a local Amateur here in San Diego and worked correctly to monitor local analog and digital traffic. He moved to South Carolina and reprogrammed it for his local activity. It functioned properly. He sent the unit to me, we reprogrammed it back to the local activity and encountered the problem. Cloning from a functioning local Pro96 or using a laptop program makes no difference. Same problem.

Thank you in advance for any input you can offer. - Jon (K6QVA - Fallbrook, California)
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 03:09:30 AM »

Does 'P25' show up on the display along with a digital frequency? Are you using an OEM cable between the laptop and scanner?
 Is the scanner at its latest software revision?
 https://wiki.radioreference.com/images/1/13/Pro96Com.pdf
I have the PRO-197 also made by GRE for Radio Shack. They got out of the business in 2012, so support is dwindling.
K6QVA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 08:05:27 AM »

KAPT4560, good morning. A club member did a complete factory reset and brought the software up to date. His two PRO96 Scanners work fine. The correct patch cable (cloning cable) was used on mine (mono to mono 3.5mm). He uses his laptop to program his PRO96 and used it this last try on mine. Still no digital activity yet the scanner shows the frequencies are in there. Again, analog frequencies respond which limits the scanner to fire department and CHP activity in my area.

I'll have to check to see if "P25" shows up in the display.

Appreciate your response. I have a Uniden Home Patrol in my station. Even though it's a "battery eater" the PRO96 is for out in the field mainly monitoring SD Sheriff. I live in wildfire, earthquake and you never know what country here in the mountains of San Diego, California. In our local area we have a strong core group of which several members belong to the Sheriff's ACS/RACES Team. Due to all that is going on, RACES has recently increased their weekend training sessions. We're very fortunate to have a good group of qualified and committed guys and gals involved.   

Have a peaceful Sunday. - 73, Jon (K6QVA) 
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 10:34:28 AM »

Are the frequencies in question "rebanded" and has the scanner been properly set up for tracking the control channels?

I have a -2096...the base version of that unit. It required updating and attention to the new system definition/talk group structure to get trunking working correctly.

Radio Reference has details on how to make it work.
K6QVA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 03:54:40 PM »

N8YX, thank you for the reply. I will check into that. The three other local Amateurs using Pro96's have all been programmed by the same person who did mine. They all work properly for local digital and analog traffic. None of us are scanner gurus so we're at the mercy of "if it's not simple, we're lost". LOL.

A few days ago I did an Internet search looking for an answer and found nothing regarding this problem. It must not be a common Pro96 problem. The best advice I've received to date is post the question on here. Now at least I'm getting some suggestions on what and/or where to look further.

Appreciate the input. 73, Jon (K6QVA) 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: