The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-890  (Read 62405 times)
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2018, 07:00:27 PM »

Kenwood's TS-890S poster says (found it with Google on QRZ and hamlife .jp :

3rd order IMD ... 110 dB
RMDR ... 112 dB
Blocking DR ... 150 dB

and all of these are specified for 2 kHz spacing, at 14.1 MHz, CW, 500 Hz BW, Preamp off...  standard testing settings for Sherwood.

That puts it at the top of Sherwood's list.

73, Ed
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2018, 08:31:01 PM »

providing it meets specs, there are no specks that state at what spacing I assume you are assuming that 2Khz but until they publish them its a crap shot.
W6RZ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 08:42:26 PM »

Here's the poster with the specifications.

W6RZ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 08:49:31 PM »

I like Kenwood's moxie. Since it seems everyone is obsessed with the Sherwood numbers, you might as well build something that tops the list with whatever architecture that can ensure that.
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 09:18:06 PM »

Wrong Forum Wink

J.D. Mitchell BA  - VK3BL / XU7AGA - https://www.youtube.com/ratemyradio - Honesty & Integrity
S58DX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2018, 03:06:08 AM »

An excellent reading and article about H-mode mixer.
Have had followed up in the past in technical Topics, by Pat Hawker G3VA..

https://martein.home.xs4all.nl/pa3ake/hmode/hmode_intro.html

I am pretty certain that Kenwood engineers have reasons why did they
implement H-mode mixer and full down conversion...
Also, merits of LO and it's purity will be subject to watch..

I remember in 1990 or 1991 ,when ARRL did test first Kenwood TS-850S in their
lab...They simply said that DDS syntesizer  superseed their ability to measure
noise floor..in their lab equipment...

But again, i am biased as my entire collection is Kenwood Wink

Time and tests will tell Smiley

Nermin S58DX
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2018, 03:13:51 AM »

It would be nice if the transmitter has same high performance as the receiver in regards to the transmitter IMD performance. Kenwood in the past always produced radios like the TS830S, TS930S and TS940S that had very  good IMD performance.  Not forgetting the TS950SDX which had very good IMD performance. There were some horrible transmitter IMD radios like the TS870S which was really bad.

Lets hope that Kenwoods new radio has a decent PA with decent IMD performance. But I wont be holding my breather because this new release from them is more about being cheap  rather than offering ultimate receiver and transmitter performance. With a H mode mixer it should give the K3 a run for the money and make the K3 look bad value for money.

There is nothing disappointing about it.  Kenwood has probably built the ultimate analog front end meaning that this radio will tolerate RF environments that will crush the current DS SDR crowd.  Analog radios have an advantage in strong signal environments.  Before you go off half cocked read the presentation.

http://www.ab4oj.com/sdr/apdxc16_sdr.pdf

It will be very interesting to see where this rig winds up on the test reviews.
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2018, 06:34:10 AM »

I wish there was a tabled list of all the popular ham transmitters by performance, the way Sherwood does it for his receiver testing.

Is there is a transmitter list that anybody has compiled?

73, Ed
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2018, 06:49:19 AM »

I'm glad that you've had this positive experience. You didn't state the SDR rigs you've used but just know that this doesn't necessarily generalize to all rigs in all environments. In a contest or Field Day setup, the need for band pass filters, especially if more than 100 watts is used, can be critical. The antenna switching can also come into the mix. So, mileage may vary here.

73 de K4FMH

RF environments that will crush the current DS SDR crowd.

I've been using DS SDR rigs for the past four years and during that time I've never encountered a single instance of RX overload. Not one. Even during major contests with the bands full of extremely strong signals from the superstations.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2018, 09:15:06 AM »

I'm glad that you've had this positive experience. You didn't state the SDR rigs you've used but just know that this doesn't necessarily generalize to all rigs in all environments. In a contest or Field Day setup, the need for band pass filters, especially if more than 100 watts is used, can be critical. The antenna switching can also come into the mix. So, mileage may vary here.

73 de K4FMH

I've been using DS SDR rigs for the past four years and during that time I've never encountered a single instance of RX overload. Not one. Even during major contests with the bands full of extremely strong signals from the superstations.

Thank you for bringing that up.  The necessity to plan the radio and antenna configuration, and to provide adequate filtering and isolation is lost on so many new hams.  I have seen numerous accounts of poor performance in field day setups and not just SDR but a good many newer radios.  I don't care if the rig is digital or analog, there are a number of things you should do that will improve performance when radios and antennas are in close proximity to one another.   

And FWIW, I worked my first contest with an SX-101A and an HT-32B and did not suffer any overload either.  That was more than four years ago.  There is a big difference between contesting between S9 +20 signals and operating with a couple of rigs parked 15 feet away.
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2018, 09:54:00 AM »

Lets hope that Kenwoods new radio has a decent PA with decent IMD performance. But I wont be holding my breather

Let’s hope that Zenki starts to use a callsign like everyone else, but I won’t be holding my breath because he either doesn’t have a callsign, or, more likely, he’s a bloody coward.
KN4RA

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2018, 11:03:41 AM »

I like it and will own one.  Smiley No pre release complaints from me.

Looks like a modernized TS-870S.

VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2018, 12:13:28 PM »

It's an very interesting new radio.  So, now that they've got this one done, I hope their next step is a revised TS-2000. 

I have one of those, and it's ~16 years old already.  I have taken it as carry-on luggage on flights, used it in a few contests, tried satellites, and used it as an FM basestation too.  It keeps on working.  In terms of technology and front panel though, it could use a modernization makeover, especially in the noise reduction and filtering areas.  A bandscope would be nice too.

73, Ed
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2018, 12:45:58 PM »

Kenwood's TS-890S poster says (found it with Google on QRZ and hamlife .jp :

3rd order IMD ... 110 dB
RMDR ... 112 dB
Blocking DR ... 150 dB

and all of these are specified for 2 kHz spacing, at 14.1 MHz, CW, 500 Hz BW, Preamp off...  standard testing settings for Sherwood.

That puts it at the top of Sherwood's list.

73, Ed

Yes, that's impressive.

By the way, does it matter whether it's an SDR or not, if the specs are like the ones quoted above? Do we want to buy an SDR for its own sake, or the best radio available (cost not being an issue)?
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2018, 12:54:23 PM »

73 de K4FMH

Thank you for bringing that up. 

I remember being a bit worried when I purchased the IC-7300. There were a number of reports mentioning the OVF light being 'easily' activated. While I don't doubt it can happen under certain conditions, I think most of the cases have to do with the 'all knobs fully clockwise' syndrome.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: