The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-890  (Read 62647 times)
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2018, 01:30:46 PM »

I call it "N8FVJ Syndrome". What's a Manual?Huh?

ron
N4UE

If you're not the lead sled dog, the view never changes......
KT0DD

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2018, 07:25:19 PM »

Ok, now I'm going to rattle some cages...Price point? any guestimations as to where this will land pricewise?  I probably won't get one as I just got my IC-7300 for Christmas and It is all I need. I live in a noisy suburb with a mediocre antenna and couldn't take advantage of any hotter of a receiver anyway. Thankfully the WebSDR guys have saved my radio hobby. Maybe someday when Icom is bringing out the 7620 and cut the 7610 price to the bone, I can get one of those. I really haven't seen Kenwood chop prices on their closeout discontinued rigs, but they stick with successful models for years and do not play "Musical New Rigs" like I & Y do.

73. Todd - KT0DD
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2018, 08:08:32 PM »

Looks to be a one-receiver radio, not competing with a 7610 in that respect, but still good features and preliminary specs. I'll put in a guess at $2,800.
VK3TEX

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2018, 06:49:54 AM »

Let's hope the bandscope and waterfall are better than the one on the 990.

Looks to be exactly the same, hope I'm wrong.

If the same, there will be lots of diss appointments from customers....

Kenwood should hire the team who did the scope on the ICOM 7610... Now there's a nice scope....

The 990 scope is a real let down, with crap resolution and phantom signals all over the place.

The scope on my ICOM 7300 is light years ahead of the one on the 990....

Les, VK3TEX.

PS Still love my 990, except for you know what...that damn scope!!
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2018, 07:31:42 AM »

the TS-890s receiver front-end appears to be using a so-called "H-mode" mixer that gives fabulous performance.  QEX had a few articles over the years about this one.  It's no doubt a significant reason for the stellar receiver specs that the Kenwood hamvention advertising picture is reporting.  So one can hope that the images and phantom signals will get taken out by the new design.

73, Ed
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2018, 08:09:19 AM »

the TS-890s receiver front-end appears to be using a so-called "H-mode" mixer that gives fabulous performance.  QEX had a few articles over the years about this one.  It's no doubt a significant reason for the stellar receiver specs that the Kenwood hamvention advertising picture is reporting.  So one can hope that the images and phantom signals will get taken out by the new design.

73, Ed

Is the H-mode mixer use confirmed? I wonder if they could be using the same mixer as the AirSpy HF+:

https://airspy.com/airspy-hf-plus/

KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2018, 09:24:32 AM »

73, Ed

If the posted specs are true this is the new gold standard in receiver performance, I don't care if it's an Armstrong regen, it will unseat everything on the Sherwood list.  All of the Flex radio guys will be beside themselves with grief.  Their one and only defense will be that the Flex has a better display, like that matters. Roll Eyes
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2018, 09:55:21 AM »

All of the <insert the best radio brand in the world, in your mind, that is> radio guys will be beside themselves with grief.

Isn't that true. It always makes me laugh the way some people will take any criticism of 'their' radios as a personal offence. Roll Eyes
KT0DD

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2018, 02:50:58 AM »

Does anyone know if the new 890 has rear connection DVI or HDMI to put the display on an eternal monitor?

Thank You.

Todd - KT0DD
VK3TEX

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2018, 05:21:23 AM »

Pretty sure it has the DVI like the 990.

Cheers,

Les, VK3TEX.
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2018, 05:39:35 AM »

I would venture to guess that the video out is a DVI like the one on Icom's 7610 so they don't have to pay for the HDMI fees. Before Dayton this year there were some rumors that this radio was going to be around the $4k price point, that would sink before it swims cause without a second RX and no type of extra filtering like what Icom gives with the digi select (BTW that works really well) or Yaesu's VC which sounds like a new buzz word for there VRF used in the 5000 I would say between $2500+- but who knows. I did hear some scuttlebutt about them bringing another radio to market that would be an SDR but both Kenwood and Yaesu have to do catch up to Icom who disrupted the whole market over two years back with the 7300 that has totaled over 20,000 of them sold world wide and now the 7610 which broke the $3k market this weekend and now licking but on the M version of the new Flex rigs. I also feel that any of the Japanese companies that come out with a SDR will just be a copy of the Icom's rig so who knows. As far as specs they can advertise those numbers but we all know that very rarely those number are what they do in a lab, both Kenwood and Yaesu have made claims in the past and the Icom radio's from the past two to three years have been able to meet the mark stated, only time will tell.
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2018, 10:39:09 AM »

one more thing.  The TS-890 poster (shown on previous page by W6RZ, also on the QRZnow page) says it has a 100 Watt tuner built in.  Meanwhile the TS-990 has 200 Watts transmit output.  So I guess that in addition to the single high performance receiver, it has 100 Watts output.

Not really a down-scaled TS-990S, more of an up-scaled TS-590SG.

73, Ed
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2018, 02:44:29 PM »

I would venture to guess that the video out is a DVI like the one on Icom's 7610 so they don't have to pay for the HDMI fees.

This I find somewhat hard to believe. HDMI licensing has two fees: an annual fee and a per-unit fee. The annual fee is $10,000, which really isn't much for a company like Icom, or, especially Kenwood (who undoubtedly already pays this fee because of other non-amateur products they make that use HDMI). The annual fee is even less if a company makes less then 10,000 units of a product that uses HDMI, which is likely to be the case with the TS-890S.

The per-unit fee is $0.15 (or $0.05 if a company puts the HDMI logo on the product).
NK7J

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2018, 04:09:05 PM »

I have mixed feelings about this new radio. Kenwoods have been my favorite radios over the years, yet I currently own no Kenwood HF rigs. Icom has taken their place.
Though the specs appear good on the receiver, I doubt many of us will ever be able to tell the difference in the real world. I think we are at that point (and have been for a while) that RX performance improvements are very small and I think more emphasis should be paid to the overall radio performance. That includes operator comforts and preferences. I still prefer the layout on most Kenwood radios but overall operator happiness (for me) goes to Icom at this point, having both the 7300 and the 7610. 
I hope Kenwood has a winner with a good user interface. With the features I see listed I would hope this falls in around $2400 or less.
Just my .02
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2018, 07:48:54 PM »

I really think the griped about radio's having DVI outputs instead of HDMI is a real issue, the 7800,7851,7700 all had DVI but it seems folk want to bitch about something so have had it. Clearly Flex spoils some who want a big fish finder display but I thought we are buying a good radio first not just the display plus HDMI has the audio threw the monitor but with a hi quality radio do you really need to listen to those tiny speakers in monitors today. I was able to buy a DVI to HDMI cable for under $10, 9' long from Show Me Cables and its gold plated, shielded cable, I have paid more for HDMI to HDMI cables, allot more.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: