The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 22 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-890  (Read 62321 times)
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2018, 07:25:57 AM »

I really think the griped about radio's having DVI outputs instead of HDMI is a real issue, the 7800,7851,7700 all had DVI but it seems folk want to bitch about something so have had it. Clearly Flex spoils some who want a big fish finder display but I thought we are buying a good radio first not just the display plus HDMI has the audio threw the monitor but with a hi quality radio do you really need to listen to those tiny speakers in monitors today. I was able to buy a DVI to HDMI cable for under $10, 9' long from Show Me Cables and its gold plated, shielded cable, I have paid more for HDMI to HDMI cables, allot more.

I agree the output connector is a very minor issue and adaptor cables are easy to get so why complain.  If that is the only thing someone can find wrong with the radio then they are really fishing for problems.  Personally I find radio performance to be the driving factor, the display is secondary since I only need it for digital modes.  The idea that one needs a spectrum analyzer to work DX is drivel made up by noobs who don't have the experience or skill set to work DX with no display at all.  About 99% of them don't even know how to use an analog dial.
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2018, 10:28:38 AM »

The idea that one needs a spectrum analyzer to work DX is drivel made up by noobs who don't have the experience or skill set to work DX with no display at all.  About 99% of them don't even know how to use an analog dial.

I disagree. I find that a waterfall display is very helpful when working DX in a split pileup. When trying to work DX in that scenario, the most difficult task is identifying where the DX is listening by finding the station he's working. Sure, you can do that by tuning around, and I did that for decades, but when the pileup is really spread out it may be difficult to locate someone when all he's sending is "TU 5NN" at 30 WPM. A waterfall makes this easier because my eyes can scan the entire pileup at once and locate where the station being work likely is. I would not like to go back to doing that just by tuning by ear.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2018, 11:06:55 AM »

The idea that one needs a spectrum analyzer to work DX is drivel made up by noobs who don't have the experience or skill set to work DX with no display at all.  About 99% of them don't even know how to use an analog dial.

I disagree. I find that a waterfall display is very helpful when working DX in a split pileup. When trying to work DX in that scenario, the most difficult task is identifying where the DX is listening by finding the station he's working. Sure, you can do that by tuning around, and I did that for decades, but when the pileup is really spread out it may be difficult to locate someone when all he's sending is "TU 5NN" at 30 WPM. A waterfall makes this easier because my eyes can scan the entire pileup at once and locate where the station being work likely is. I would not like to go back to doing that just by tuning by ear.

So you can tell from the waterfall who the DX is how?  If the pileup is really spread out there are a bunch of signals and I have not seen one yet that puts a call sign on them.  I still just tune and follow the DX, they rarely move anyway, and when split, the DX is on a different frequency from all of the calling stations so to me it's really just Eye Candy, and I can do without it just fine on phone or CW.  YMMV
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2018, 11:17:52 AM »

So you can tell from the waterfall who the DX is how?  If the pileup is really spread out there are a bunch of signals and I have not seen one yet that puts a call sign on them.  I still just tune and follow the DX, they rarely move anyway, and when split, the DX is on a different frequency from all of the calling stations so to me it's really just Eye Candy, and I can do without it just fine on phone or CW.

I'm not talking about the DX station. I know exactly where he is, and as you pointed out, he usually doesn't move around. I'm talking about identifying what frequency the DX station is listening on because he sure as hell isn't listening on his transmit frequency. The waterfall helps in locating the station the DX is working at any particular instant.

I actually hope that most people continue doing it your way without a panadapter because that means less competition in pileups for me to deal with.  Cheesy
SP5QIP

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2018, 11:27:21 AM »

I found waterfall really useful on 10m last days. We had Es skip and it was great to see where is activity on the screen.
Mike
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2018, 05:48:12 AM »

Totally agree with W6UV.  Panadapters are a must have when chasing DX.  Also good for contesting.  Mine does display callsigns on the panadapter.  You can  use CW skimmer to place callsigns on the panadapter.  Simply magic !

Joe
N3HEE
CW Academy Advisor (Level II)
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2018, 07:17:00 AM »

Here is the brochure for the TS-890S. Shows the back panel.
http://www.va2pv.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/TS-890-Preliminary-Info.pdf

Also has these features built in.
CW Morse code Decoder, Decode Threshold Level, Decode, Filter, USB Keyboard Encode.

FSK / PSK(BPSK 31/ 63, QPSK 31) functions:: Decode / Encode, Message with USB key board.

Equipped 4 roofing filters: 500Hz/ 2.7kHz/ 6kHz/ 15kHz

Zack N8FNR
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 07:24:33 AM by N8FNR » Logged
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2018, 09:09:32 AM »

I'm getting a "404 - Not Found" error with that link...
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2018, 10:38:10 AM »

Nermin,

I'm sort of on your wavelenth here. I have Flex and other SDRs in my shack and consider Gerald a personal friend as he is originally from the Jackson MS area. He visits the area every Thanksgiving. As the kids say: I'm all up in there with SDR technology and rigs!

However, I do not see why it's "a bummer" that Kenwood did not offer an SDR a la the Icom 7300 (which I have too). There's room in the marketplace for different approaches and the TS-890 appears to have some features that even the 7300 doesn't (e.g., a DVI-D video output). Once the rig is in the marketplace and the lab assessments are published, we will see where the TS-890 first among the price class of transceivers. The TS-590SG and the TS-990 has their places as do the Icom and Yaesu lines.

Each ham's preference is valid to him or her. That keeps review sites like eHam in business...

73s: one to each of you,

Frank
K4FMH

Hi Gerard,
if the qouted receiver specifications are veryfiable,
that would be one of the best receivers so far...
Let us wait and see  Smiley
Though, i could not recall any manufacturer ( amateur radio, please)
ever used H-mode mixer...

I am hardcore Kenwood fan, thus i am biased Cool

Nermin S58DX
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2018, 11:29:17 AM »

Totally agree with W6UV.  Panadapters are a must have when chasing DX.  Also good for contesting.  Mine does display callsigns on the panadapter.  You can  use CW skimmer to place callsigns on the panadapter.  Simply magic !

As I said before, I am a casual operator, I don't contest and I work DX occasionally.  In the past I was a big time DX chaser and never had a problem so I see a pan adapter as nice to have but not essential.  I think a good pair of ears is more important to netting a difficult DX station but to each their own.   
So I will agree to disagree with you and W6UV on that point but I think we can all agree that this new radio appears, at least, to fill an uncharted gap in both performance and features.  Of course performance remains to be seen but we all like the idea.
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2018, 11:47:38 AM »

I'm getting a "404 - Not Found" error with that link...

Now that is weird. Wish that I had saved a copy......
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2018, 11:54:30 AM »

Not really a down-scaled TS-990S, more of an up-scaled TS-590SG.

73, Ed

100% agree.
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2018, 12:45:02 PM »

The one spec that if it meets or comes close is the blocking spec on the 890, that is up there with the K3s and it looks like the 890 is set up allot more user friendly then the ugly K3s, hey the K3s is a great lab rat but just try to listen to it for hours on end or try and manipulate it over that period of time, this is were the other radio's shine. I like the layout 
of the 890 as I like the layout on my 7610 but lets be honest these radio's are plenty good enough for most any operating environment.
If the Kenwood is over $3k well I am sorry it may sink but if priced around $2.5k they will have another good selling rig and this time they can call it a K3 Killer. I think you all have the idea of SDR all wrong, they did this cause they could create a radio with very low phase noise, blocking specs of 120-130 is plenty good enough but phase noise is the one thing that the newer higher grade SDR rigs give you and to get the same numbers in a superhet it costs allot more to achieve.
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2018, 02:03:42 PM »

I think you all have the idea of SDR all wrong, they did this cause they could create a radio with very low phase noise, blocking specs of 120-130 is plenty good enough but phase noise is the one thing that the newer higher grade SDR rigs give you and to get the same numbers in a superhet it costs allot more to achieve.

That's what may kill this rig. Sure, they can get great specs in a superhet radio, but it will be costly to do so. How many people will be willing to pay more than $2500 for a rig like this?
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2018, 02:13:46 PM »

I think you all have the idea of SDR all wrong, they did this cause they could create a radio with very low phase noise, blocking specs of 120-130 is plenty good enough but phase noise is the one thing that the newer higher grade SDR rigs give you and to get the same numbers in a superhet it costs allot more to achieve.

That's what may kill this rig. Sure, they can get great specs in a superhet radio, but it will be costly to do so. How many people will be willing to pay more than $2500 for a rig like this?

You might be surprised.  I paid more than $3000.00 for my IC-7600 and that was not considered too much since they sold a lot of them.  You have to consider that not everyone needs, or wants dual receivers.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 22 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: