The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Yaesu SDR HF transceiver FTDX 101D due for release soon!  (Read 19966 times)
VK2NZA

Ignore
« on: May 23, 2018, 03:52:32 AM »

A leading Australian retailer has just listed future release of a new 160 -6 SDR transceiver from Yaesu.
Photo indicates a large touch screen colour display
Independent control of main and sub band.
Hi Q VC (variable capacitor) tuning.
Suggested pricing $5000 + or - $500.00 Australian dollars
                      US equivalent (approx) $3800 + or - $380.

Interesting times.
Maybe put a cat amongst the pigeon with Icoms IC-7610!
VK2NZA
W2BLC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 10:33:51 AM »

Doesn't look anywhere near as interesting as the Icom 7300 for around $1000.
VK2NZA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 01:00:14 AM »

W2BLC - yeah less dollars is always more attractive and more interesting, the IC 7300 is a hard act to compete with.
Though it may create a bit of competition price-wise and its good to see Yaesu coming up with a new rig and continuing to be in the market.
I wonder if Kenwood/Vertex will have a go, the TS 2000 is noncompetitive and ageing with regard to its specs in 2018.
I guess any new HF rig on the market is good news and it looks as if some of the Chinese manufacturers are coming up with a few entries, portable HF rigs and small hf amps and they're getting incrementally  better.
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 05:27:13 AM »

It looks like the FTDX101D has two receivers.  I wonder if the radio can do full duplex with at least one of those receivers.

Since Yaesu seems to have stopped making satellite capable (ie, full duplex) transceivers like the FT-726/736/847 series, we are expected to use transverters and/or a pair of VHF/UHF all-mode transceivers for full duplex on linear transponder satellites now.

73, Ed
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 07:27:12 PM »

... the TS 2000 is noncompetitive and ageing with regard to its specs in 2018.

Yet Kenwood continues to produce it, because it continues to sell in sufficient quantities to make it worthwhile.  Wink
VK2NZA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 08:30:28 PM »

VE3WGO - as I understand the TS-2000 is to be phased out later this year and a new SDR style 8 series released.
There's more on this somewhere in one of the forums.
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 05:41:10 AM »

Very interesting that the price here in the states is around $3800 for the new Yaesu, they seem to want to bark at the 7610's first intro price but the bottom line will be is the phase noise in the RX is as low as either the 7300,7610 or one of the Flex 6000 series radio's. This one spec seems to be the key parameter for the improved SDR technology and to do this in a superhet it cost way too much money to develop. Just look at the K3S or the new Kenwood TS-890, both these radio's are around the $4.5k price point, the K3S optioned out cause that is the way they nickle and dime you with there product and the Kenwoods last none sdr stand which is said to be one of there best RX sections yet but if they don't improve there DSP engine's in this newer offering these other radio's will leave the 890 in the dust.
Icom has always been the leader in the DSP end of there radio's and the first of the big 3 that came out with SDR with knobs which landed them a huge success then they came out with another SDR which soo far has sold fairly well considering its three times the price of the first SDR radio. Yaesu has to do catch up and by the looks of the front panel I find the knobs and controls seemed to be rushed in there layout but we will see how good it is. I do wish them luck cause two years ago I owned a FTDX3000 and asked them if they ever thought of going down the SDR path, they said there was no need to, FFW to mid 2027 I picked up a IC7300 for a back up rig which within 4 months of comparing the two the Yaesu was on the block after owning that radio for 5 Years. I have since made the move to a 7610 and have been very pleased. Yes I have also owned most of the mid priced good rigs as well in the past 10 years or so like a K3, TS590S but did like the 3000 the best of that bunch but Icom did an outstanding job so lest see what Yaesu can do.
VR2AX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 06:36:42 PM »

VE3WGO - as I understand the TS-2000 is to be phased out later this year and a new SDR style 8 series released.
There's more on this somewhere in one of the forums.

Back in 2005 I was down in Singapore, where the TS 2000 was originally manufactured. I went to see the manager of Kenwood in Singapore, as I needed some new mechanical parts for my TS 2000 which had suffered transit damage. The Kenwood manager there told me then in 2005 that the TS 2000 was being discontinued. In fact, what Kenwood did was to outsource the manufacturing of the model out of Singapore to Malaysia where costs were cheaper. Anyway it lived another 13 years after supposedly being discontinued.

I will look for proof of death of the TS 2000 with interest!
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 05:46:56 AM »

Yup the TS2000 is Kenwoods Swiss army knife, does DC to light, has a good VHF section but just an average HF section with a weak HF RX. Icom went down that path with there IC9100 but it could not compete for the price wars and that is why the TS2000 has sold so long in this market. The Icom was head and shoulders a far better  radio but it was not cheapo like the Kenwood was. Now Icom will have a VHF SDR to go side by side with there 7300, very smart cause when you built to much into one box you end up with 10 pounds of you know what in a 5 pound bag, you don't get something for nothing here.
Yaesu's FTDX101D looks interesting but there way to late to enter the SDR market, if they would have started two years ago there would have been a price ware between Yaesu and Icom at Dayton this year but instead Icom elected to kick Flex in there ass by lowering the selling price at the show way below there current dealer cost and it worked cause a few days before Dayton Flex announced a issue with there new radio's and a fix, if they didn't do this the sherwood numbers on there radio's would have bit them huge but instead made there PEN call, a slick name for recall and the fixed radio's numbers arose on sherwoods list.
I wish Yaesu luck but they got to fix there ALC issue on many of there HF radio's, its been on a sliding scale with very slight adjustments leading to poor IMD even without there processor turned on.  On there new front panel the likes of a dual RX knob is kind of cheap plus the way the front panel is configured looks like they didn't take to much time in figuring this out, looks like they just threw it together but time will tell. They also need an entry level SDR but they will never catch the wave that the IC7300 started that radio hit the ham radio marketplace like a tsunami!
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 06:34:05 AM »

heavy bottoming out of the FM handheld and mobile market by low cost Chinese clones, and Yaesu coming late to a rapidly crowding market for SDRs, probably means changes coming for Yaesu.

In the end though, there will need to be some pretty compelling and obvious market advantages of an SDR for a manufacturer to develop and maintain, in order for them to make the huge change from a hardware focused development department to a software focused one.  Some hardware people might need to change careers or get laid off.   It's worth debating, because by far the most radio operators will never be able to tell the difference between an full RF-sampled SDR and (traditional) IF-sampled superhet SDRs which is essentially what we mostly have now in the marketplace.

For example, how would you think an FTDX-3000 (or FTDX-5000, etc) would look and behave if it had been designed as an RF-sampled SDR, instead of the current software controlled superhet?  

I bet you would have a very hard time detecting the difference.

So the main draw for the new FTDX-101D might be the dual receivers and nice spectrum scope.  RF-sampled SDR makes no difference to me. 

73, Ed
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 07:34:11 AM »

Yet Kenwood continues to produce it, because it continues to sell in sufficient quantities to make it worthwhile.  Wink

Kenwood makes it because most modern hams do not understand how dated it is and have nothing else to offer. There is a limited market for "shack in a boxes"

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
HB9PJT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 11:04:43 AM »

[The TS-2000 is unique. There is no other rig with the same function. Dual RX on VHF/VHF or UHF/UHF is not posible with the IC-9100. Skymode is unique to Kenwood. The TS-2000 is on HF in the same ligue as a Yaesu FT-1000 which is known as a good HF rig. The TS-2000 has a better filtering than a IC-756ProIII.

73, Peter - HB9PJT

quote author=W8JX link=topic=120627.msg1080329#msg1080329 date=1531319651]

Kenwood makes it because most modern hams do not understand how dated it is and have nothing else to offer. There is a limited market for "shack in a boxes"
[/quote]
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 11:08:01 AM »

[The TS-2000 is unique. There is no other rig with the same function. Dual RX on VHF/VHF or UHF/UHF is not posible with the IC-9100. Skymode is unique to Kenwood. The TS-2000 is on HF in the same ligue as a Yaesu FT-1000 which is known as a good HF rig. The TS-2000 has a better filtering than a IC-756ProIII.

73, Peter - HB9PJT

quote author=W8JX link=topic=120627.msg1080329#msg1080329 date=1531319651]

[/quote]

A very very dated design. I would love to see a new 2090 or 2100 version of it.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 12:38:09 PM »

There is NO WAY the RX section of the TS2000 would even compete with the likes of a FT1000D, MP or even a dated ProIII, its front end could be maybe equal to Icom's mobile 706MKIIG or even the Yaesu FT100, FT897 style radio a really piss poor front end with poor selectivity yet hams buy them cause its a shack in the box idea and there cheap compared to the likes of the IC9100 which RX sections was on par with the IC7600 RX. The TS2000 use DSP IF filtering in it which was not even on par with the old TS870 which for its day was a good design but most don't care how well the radio does on a crowded band on the weekends. Again its a army knife that does allot but not much very well, I think Kenwood if they are smart will chose to go down the SDR path next and follow the likes of Icom or Yaesu, there is no need for one radio to do it all plus if you look at Yeasu's 991 plus the A version that radio just never had taken off plus as far as the better DSP superhets compared to even what Icom calls entry level SDR I did have a FTDX3000 next to Icom 7300 for over 4 months time, enough to get a very good idea of the pros and cons and in the end the 7300 was still on the table. Also did a comparison between the highly regarded FTDX5000 and the Icom 7610, again the Icom won or should I say didn't leave my shack. The signal manipulation on the better SDR radio's is IMO far better or I should say cleaner than the older technology and I was not a first adopter SDR type. While Yaesu gets to roll out there radio by maybe this fall I bet Icom will have a 200W version of an SDR rig, built in PS, maybe 4 RX sections and possible two complete transmit sections but here again that might be a stretch but who knows, clearly Icom has made there mark in the amateur radio marketplace in a huge way in the past three years.
HB9PJT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 02:40:00 PM »

I suggest you consult the RSGB review of that rigs.

73, Peter - HB9PJT

There is NO WAY the RX section of the TS2000 would even compete with the likes of a FT1000D, MP
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: