The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Yaesu SDR HF transceiver FTDX 101D due for release soon!  (Read 19971 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2018, 06:46:28 AM »

KE2TR is right. 2000 has a poor front end compared to even some older analog rigs. Look good on paper in advertisements but not good on bench. But if it is first and only rig you will not likely know how bad it is for lack of experience or comparison.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
HB9PJT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 04:22:05 PM »

How can you know? With your mini antenna at your station every rig is ok.

73, Peter - HB9PJT

KE2TR is right. 2000 has a poor front end compared to even some older analog rigs. Look good on paper in advertisements but not good on bench. But if it is first and only rig you will not likely know how bad it is for lack of experience or comparison.
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2018, 07:43:13 AM »

Peter you are funny guy! You have no idea how W8JX's qth receives signals, you basically assume since he uses a multi band trapped vertical that its of poor reception quality, you have no idea what kind of radial field he has it installed on which with verticals is key to get the most out of them. I have a friend who lives on a bay in RI, he uses a stepper IR vertical mounted just before the waters edge and at high tied maybe its only a few feet, he has installed a few resonate radials and this vertical works outstandingly well, with verticals its all about the Brewster angle and maybe that is what W8JX's qth offers him, also the possibility of rich very conductive soil may help as well.
In My past qth's I have had a bunch of real performing antenna's, a real antenna farm but these days I try and keep it simple, even with modest antennas you can pick up differences between radio's and there ability to copy weak signals between very strong ones, most radio's today have more than enough sensitivity and the likes of Icom and Kenwood you almost never need the pre amp until maybe 10 or 6 meters so the name of the game is who can build a better more robust front end.
Most who own a TS2000 may know that the radio's HF section is a very simple design, that the main thing about the design was VHF and everything in one box. Could it use an upgrade, sure but I think that the trend is to build a better VHF radio and make a better HF + 6 offering. Most who own the TS2000 rag chew on HF and use it more for its VHF ability so there are not DXers or contesters, there really is not a need for better HF performance plus the type and style of the operator may not be able to tell the differences, they just care that it sounds good.
Many will read Sherwoods RX list and have no idea what those numbers mean and this is the gods honest truth, its all about were it is on the list, also the same follows true in the ARRL Lab tests, they haven't got a clue what those numbers mean. Most of the top 25 radio's on Sherwoods list are soo dam close that you may not be able to tell that much differences except at stations like K3LR's big multi multi and even then there would not be night and day differences. With many of these top radio's its more about station control, layout, ability to use the controls easily in the heat of the battle in which I call UI for user interface. There is one chart topper which always has the numbers yet the UI of this radio sucks and as other companies are getting up there with better numbers this company is losing sales plus its the smallest and very ugly radio which doesn't help things.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2018, 10:32:14 AM »

Peter you are funny guy! You have no idea how W8JX's qth receives signals, you basically assume since he uses a multi band trapped vertical that its of poor reception quality, you have no idea what kind of radial field he has it installed on which with verticals is key to get the most out of them.

Peter's comment was funny, to me anyway. In the past JX has mentioned several times the limited radial field he installed to support his vertical.

Regarding your trapped vertical comments, I agree as I have one (6BTV) with a radial field installed per the manufacturers recommendations.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2018, 11:34:46 AM »

How can you know? With your mini antenna at your station every rig is ok.

Stop by and try it any time. Been a ham for 49 years how about you? BTW I have tested many many rigs side by side on a nice bench setup at Universal Radio for many years too.

KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2018, 07:06:48 AM »

Peter I don't even think the TS2000 makes it even in Sherwoods list in the top 100 radio's, on HF that front end is a barn door, even there old designs like the TS820 would eat it alive and that was a single conversion design.
As far as W8JX and his vertical goes I have seen some very good signals come out of that farm land soil around the middle eastern/western states coming out of all kinds of verticals like the 5BTV's and Zero 5 33&43ft jobs.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2018, 11:34:57 AM »

Peter I don't even think the TS2000 makes it even in Sherwoods list in the top 100 radio's, on HF that front end is a barn door, even there old designs like the TS820 would eat it alive and that was a single conversion design.
As far as W8JX and his vertical goes I have seen some very good signals come out of that farm land soil around the middle eastern/western states coming out of all kinds of verticals like the 5BTV's and Zero 5 33&43ft jobs.

Mine is on a hill/knoll over 150 feet from house and ground drops of 30 to 50 feet with 50 yards of it too from SE to NW. It works quite well. I am sure that 7 ft pole drive 6 feet in ground help too.

KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2018, 08:13:07 PM »

There is something good and conductive in that soil!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2018, 07:15:42 AM »

There is something good and conductive in that soil!

I also use a 7 foot field fence pole that is T shaped and has a large spade on bottom too which increases soil contact too. And unlike a pipe driven deeply into ground they are near impossible to pull/remove when you move antenna even with a few thousand pounds of lifting force. When I moved mine for expanding a garden on same hill I was unable to pull old one with hydraulic lift hitch on tractor so I dug down about 15 inches and cut it off and I also drilled a hole in it and tied a bonding/ground strap to it and connected that to new 7 foot pole I drove in 7 feet away.

KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2018, 03:08:02 PM »

I had seen your bottom of your page to W8JX, in 1969 I had taken my general, passed the theory and code and they said I could take the extra code and still get credit for passing it for 30 days but never got back to it cause I ended up enlisting in the USAF but remember the old school testing back then. When I got out life had gotten a little busy and I just went for the advance which I still have, never went to extra but keep the advance cause it dates me in this hobby cause that class has been eliminated.
Jim
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2018, 01:26:31 PM »

As I just mentioned on a different Forum, I got my Sept QST today and nice color pictures of both the new Yaesu AND Kenwood radios.

Can't wait to see how they compare to the 7300/7610 Icoms…. Grin

ron
N4UE

If you're not the lead sled dog, the view never changes......
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2018, 03:21:04 AM »

The Kenwood is nothing more than  a cut down TS990S. Down conversion etc etc.

It will be interesting to see if the new Yaesu radio is true DDC/DUC design. That would imply that the bandscope is fully calibrated and the S-meter is also calibrated like the Flex 6xxx radios and most other direct sampling receivers. Even the cheap  SDR radios achieve this I wonder why the Japanese designers struggle with such simple concepts?

Then lets see if they actually try and improve transmitter performance or will it be the usual Yaesu key clicks and poor IMD transmitter designs.

We can never seem to get the big Japanese designers to progress and move forward with some real life technical improvements rather than being stuck in 70's design cycle.

As I just mentioned on a different Forum, I got my Sept QST today and nice color pictures of both the new Yaesu AND Kenwood radios.

Can't wait to see how they compare to the 7300/7610 Icoms…. Grin

ron
N4UE
HB9PJT

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2018, 04:38:49 AM »

Zenki seems to be more interested in accurate S-meter than in performance.

73, Peter - HB9PJT
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2018, 06:36:52 AM »

Well if Yaesu doesn't change there ALC design they will still have IMD issues, I asked one of the Yaesu reps at one of the ARRL conventions about there alc when I owned the FTDX3000, he said the ALC is set up so the radio has decent talk power on your watt meter but I said if I run the radio like the manual says the peaks would end up creating some poor IMD results and always had to run a little bit of compression along with almost half the ALC scale on the radio's meter. His comment was the way Yaesu sets up there ALC is so the radio has punch, well it did its just that at the factory level it was 5Khz wide or more. These new Icom SDR's are way cleaner in IMD and talk power and you really cannot get them to get wide at all so basically Zenki must not be a ham on the ham bands at all cause he just likes busting balls on these forums.
BTW I find the S meter calibration about standard comparing it too an old s meter in the Collins KWM2 without the pre amp sections engaged.
Jim
K6BRN

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2018, 09:42:35 AM »

James:

Under what conditions have you seen a dirty signal/high IMD out of your (former) FTDX-3000?  I presume you mean TX IMD.

I'm curious, because: 1.  I have two and use them a lot, 2. I regularly run significant ALC on the FT and JT digital modes and 3.  Monitor the output through a -50db coupler and spectrum analyzer.

The output is quite clean, even through an amplifier, as confirmed by other operators I network with.  Now if you are saying it does nkt meet Zenki's fantasies of nearly zero IMD... don't know.  Measuring nothing is hard Smiley

It IS always possible to generate distortion by running too much compression, saturating the audio or RF amp chains. Or you can broaden your SSB TX signal by turning on semi hidden ESSB feature. (I don't.  I'm about clarity and easy listening, but have no dreams of being an FM DJ)

After three years of use and about 10K qsos, I can say that, In my use, on digital modes, SSB, AM and FM, the radio is pretty well behaved.  It DID take a while to find out how the obtuse menues work, and to discover that a few did not work the way i'd expect.  But in the end, I was happy enough to buy another to used at a 2nd QTH.

So... what have you experienced?  I'd like to avoid operating in whatever manner generates excessive IMD on this rig and a forewarning would help.

Thanks,

Brian - K6BRN

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: