The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vintage transformer rewind warning  (Read 2885 times)
KJ6WRP

Ignore
« on: May 31, 2018, 11:01:45 PM »

I had my main pwr xtfmr for my Swan Mark II rewound by
TRS, Gary Brown, also known as WZ1M Transformer
Rewinding Service. He totally destroyed it, blamed me for everything. It was damaged beyond repair when I received it from him. I called him complaining, he cursed me out on the phone when he answered using the 4 letter word,
then hung up. He refused to honor the insurance from FedEx, blaming me for everything under the sun. I
strongly don't suggest anyone having TRS do any xtfmr rewind.
You will get burnt. This is no way to treat a customer, period. Pass
this warning along to everyone who
needs a vintage xtfmr rewound!
WA7PRC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 12:56:36 AM »

I've heard TRS (link) mentioned in the past on various email reflectors, with no bad reviews. 5 of 6 eHam reviews rated him 5 out of 5: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/8019 and K5UJ really liked his service: http://www.eham.net/reviews/review/149307

However, rewinding isn't tough. When I wanted to rewind a LV transformer to HV for an amplifier project, I had an excellent candidate, and did it myself. Total cost was about $100 or so (10# of polyimide-coated 18 AWG wire + lots of NMN333 "paper"). The transformer was in a piece of scrapped (free) medical equipment. The split bobbin w/ dual 120/100V 50/60 Hz primaries was perfect.

A coworker friend lent a hand, and info from Manfred XQ6FOD here (link) and here (link) was very helpful. The second link has a spreadsheet that's useful for calculating stuff. A local transformer shop graciously vacuum-pressure impregnated it w/ polyester resin, which significantly reduced magnetostrictive ("buzzing") noise:

I fabricated a pair of frames to "squeeze" the laminations and provide mounting points for it. A couple pieces of electrical-grade fiberglass board from McMaster-Carr made nice terminal boards. It was a fun & easy project. Smiley

But, this wasn't my first xfmr rewind. My first was in the 1980s, a HV > LV rewind for a 30A / 13.8V regulated PS that I still use today. Smiley

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC
http://www.tinyurl.com/wa7prc-transformer
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 03:40:38 AM »

I have had good luck with Gary's work. You aren't providing much detail on the manner in which the transformer was 'destroyed'. Then you go on to mention FedEx insurance.
 Was it destroyed by shipping? That would be a separate and different issue than workmanship to me.
K5EF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 06:21:00 PM »

Gary has rebuilt several transformers for me over the years and his work has always been excellent.  Shippers can be brutal, particularly so with heavy items.  It is a certainty that Gary would not intentionally ship an obviously "destroyed" item.  He's been in the business for a long time with strong references which would not exist if that was how he operated. 

A reasonable person might push back hard if confronted by unreasonable, unrealistic hot-headed comments.  Nobody answers the telephone and instantly starts rolling out a pile of 4-letter words, unprovoked.  There must be more to the story...

N1CX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 02:31:04 AM »

There always is..........

Gary has rebuilt several transformers for me over the years and his work has always been excellent.  Shippers can be brutal, particularly so with heavy items.  It is a certainty that Gary would not intentionally ship an obviously "destroyed" item.  He's been in the business for a long time with strong references which would not exist if that was how he operated. 

A reasonable person might push back hard if confronted by unreasonable, unrealistic hot-headed comments.  Nobody answers the telephone and instantly starts rolling out a pile of 4-letter words, unprovoked.  There must be more to the story...

WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 03:20:11 PM »

There must be more to the story...

The "hit and run" post by someone who's never posted here before reinforces your thought.  I wouldn't know Gary from Adam, but based upon the replies here, I wouldn't hesitate to do business with him.
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 03:25:55 PM »

Gary and I have had our battles over other things (he has a very short fuse) but he is still the best rewinder I know of and the only one I know of who will do modulation transformers and chokes.

Carl
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 03:29:40 PM by KM1H » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: