The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PreciseRF  (Read 2906 times)
KK6DAC

Ignore
« on: June 08, 2018, 06:48:45 PM »

I really wanted to purchase the HG-1 with the Remote Tuner at Sea-Pac.  I stopped by the booth a few times, but during the early part of Saturday the booth was pretty busy (that's always a good thing) and I couldn't get anyone's attention.  Later on in the day, there were only two people at the booth, so I waited.  And waited.  And waited.  There seemed to be five people working the booth, but three were behind the table and seemed to only be there to process credit cards.  The two gentlemen on the outside of the booth, were both with customers.  One was in the process of purchasing, the other customer clearly wasn't buying anything that day, but like many hams, he loved to talk.  After 30+ minutes of just awkwardly standing there, I finally had to leave empty handed. 

I'm truly interested in their Mag Loop antenna.  They had a good show price for the HG-1 Deluxe, but man, you need a lot of patience if you're trying to buy one at a conference.
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 05:44:48 AM »

Just ask very loudly, "Is anyone selling anything here?". Works well.
HAMFESTS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 10:35:36 AM »

Generally I found that if you are holding cash or a credit card in your hand a vendor will notice you and ask if you need help.

It's tempting to be polite but when a show price is on the line I'd be slightly more aggressive without being rude. Sometimes I have also held up a brochure (if available) with the cash or credit card and that will make the vendor tell the guy that just wants to talk "Excuse me" so he can help you. Then you are off the hook for interrupting the chat.

Don't feel as though you might be rude doing this. After all, the vendor is there to sell. He can ragchew later.

PBJOK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 02:28:59 PM »

Exactly. My experience has been the old farts monopolize everyone's time. The vendor needs to be polite. Just butt in. Chances are the coot wasting the vendor's time has already forgotten why he's there.
KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 06:08:40 PM »

When I was younger, and spent time in beverage establishments, I would stick a $50 or a $100 on my forehead. That got the bartenders attention.
Money makes the world go round.

klc

EXTRALight  1/3 less WPM than a Real EXTRA
KK6DAC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 03:44:32 PM »

Thank you all for your suggestions.  I guess I just need to get more aggressive at trade shows.  And it wasn't just the show special price, since Sea-Pac is up in Oregon, there's no sales tax, so for a $775 package, maybe reduced to $730, that's another $73 savings in sales tax.

Oh well, there's always next year.

Rachel
KG5RJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 06:21:42 PM »

I hate to say it, but i'm just imagining that you might not have been taken as seriously at a ham convention because you're female.  I'm guessing more so by the other hams not letting you in to see the products/talk to the dealer, than the dealer himself (hopefully)

I might be wrong though, but working in the tech industry for a few decades now, I've seen it happen.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 10:08:47 PM »

I had very good customer Service from PreciseRF at SeaPac...  I asked for a price on an item, got it, and bought it...  Probably a one off thing.  I had a question for them, sent email after hours, and got an answer within an hour...

Thanks,
Dave
Amateur Radio: RFI help, Reviews, Setup information, and more...
https://www.nk7z.net
W1ITT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 08:40:34 AM »

When I was involved in broadcast antenna engineering, I would occasionally accompany the sales team to trade shows, particularly the NAB show in Las Vegas.  We had a rule that nobody was allowed to sit down, and we couldn't gather up in groups of more than two of us company guys or gals.  The idea was that, if we looked too comfy chatting together, many people would be too polite to interrupt us.  Our booths were always set up with open fronts, not too many counters or structures that would tend to separate us from our potential customers or trap people if they ventured closer.  Another rule was that nobody was ever left out unacknowledged, even if we were talking with other customers.
It worked well and we were able to have good and productive talks with customers.  And we sold stuff!  The quiet patient person who gives up for lack of recognition can be a big sale lost.  And it's just good manners.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 07:10:38 PM »

I had very good customer Service from PreciseRF at SeaPac...  I asked for a price on an item, got it, and bought it...  Probably a one off thing.  I had a question for them, sent email after hours, and got an answer within an hour...
In re-reading my previous comment above, the "Probably a one off thing", does not refer to the service I received,  (I was very happy with that service), but the perceived bad service the original poster got.  I have nothing but praise for PreciseRF, both in product quality, and service after purchase.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 07:13:04 PM by NK7Z » Logged

Thanks,
Dave
Amateur Radio: RFI help, Reviews, Setup information, and more...
https://www.nk7z.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: