The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spring mount  (Read 1750 times)
VA6RKB

Ignore
« on: June 11, 2018, 11:29:40 PM »

Is there anywhere in North America that carries a heavy duty spring mount for a screwdriver antenna with so239 connection?? I have found what I want in Australia but not here so far...
KF4ZGZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 04:55:57 AM »

IMHO .....
Any make or model or version of a screwdriver would be WAY to heavy for any spring mount made.
Besides, in mobile installs, a major concern is grounding .... and most spring mounts are poorly grounded.
The only possibility are the ones with the ground braid running thru the middle of the spring.

Matt

Matt
VA6RKB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 05:30:23 AM »

The spring I’m thinking of and found in Australia is like the big ones they used to put on 9’ cb  whips I’m confident this would be heavy enough and planned  to run a ground strap through or beside the spring. I hear what you’re saying though and maybe you’re right I’m just scared I’ll end up driving under something and breaking it off haha. If I can’t use a spring mount I’ll just mount it lower then I had planned.
VE7DQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 03:59:35 PM »

Maybe here?  I don't know about the SO-239 requirement.

http://www.cal-av.com/spring-info-Mark-6.html

I agree with what KF4ZGZ says but it may be possible to hold the screwdriver upright with a frangible string or rope... in which case, it doesn't really matter how heavy the spring is.
KF4ZGZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 03:05:19 AM »

A 9ft. whip weighs less than a pound.
A screwdriver will be 5 lbs or more.
That "big" coil deflects with the whip at speed.... it will leave you dragging the screwdriver down the road!
However, you can put a spring coil between the antenna body and the short whip.

Matt
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 03:11:57 AM by KF4ZGZ » Logged

Matt
AJ3O

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 07:32:11 AM »

It would help to know which make and model screwdriver antenna that you have.

My Hi-Q 6/160 is roughly 18 pounds. My old 'Lil Tarheel II was 2 pounds. A huge difference.

Hi-Q Antennas sells a military spring mount that would definitely work, but at $500 + tax/shipping, way more than I would want to pay.

As mentioned above, use a spring mount to attach the whip to the top of the coil.

How high is the top of the coil? Plan on keeping at least one if not two spare whips on hand. As long as the antenna from the top of the coil down is lower than any obstacles that you foresee you should be good. Even with a spring mount, if the whip hits anything at speed it would most likely bend anyways.

The top of my Hi-Q 6/160 at the peak of the whip mount is at 8'-9" and the top of my daily whip is at 11'-9". That prevents me from most drive-thrus but for driving I have been doing pretty good.
KE5PPH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 12:43:29 PM »

E bay.  look for old military spring mounts, they pop up from time to time.
VA6RKB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 02:32:12 PM »

I ended up using a couple "heavy duty" springs for cb whips... didn't seem all that heavy duty so I used two haha the result is a good stiff spring mount that should bend over if I screw up and drive into a garage or something low Undecided  might even help with vibrations on all the rough roads I travel daily.

http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/VA6RKB/library/?view=recent&page=1

if that link works the picture looking up at the antenna with a bit of a lean on it is at 110km/hr hardly "dragging it down the road"  lol i'm happy with the results and so far it works great even though I haven't run grounding straps yet, which I intend to do.
KE5PPH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 09:47:10 AM »

Interesting!  I've never seen a antenna mount done that way.  please keep us posted as to the longevity..
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 09:12:26 PM »

that's cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: