The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: is there software available, that determines digital mode ???  (Read 1174 times)
KC8Y

Ignore
« on: June 16, 2018, 05:40:46 AM »

I have a handicap Smiley  and have a problem with hearing.

Is there any kind of software, available, that can determine a digital mode tones for the type?

Ken KC8Y
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 07:05:34 AM »

I have a handicap Smiley  and have a problem with hearing.

Is there any kind of software, available, that can determine a digital mode tones for the type?

Ken KC8Y

I don't know of any. That said, there are some things you need to know.

Probably over 90 percent of all digital activity is FT8.  You don't need anything to identify that, because the FT8 frequency's are standardized and you will know what they are. As an example on 20 meters the FT8 frequency is 14.074 USB. worldwide.

Also there is not as much digital operation as there used to be.  Everyone is on FT8.  What there is of PSK31 is on 14.070 on 20 meters.  There are Olivia watering holes, usually 1K or so above the PSK area.  BUT if the operators would use the Reed Solomon identification to prefix their transmissions of these esoteric modes, then most decoding software WOULD identify these modes.  What I cannot understand is why the designers of software packages do not force the Reed Solomon identification sequence instead of making it a user defined checkbox. Not very many people check the box and therefore you don't know what this mode you are hearing is. This has been a sore point with me for several years.  But no one cares:)

The root of the problem is there are too many digital modes. Far too many digital modes. We don't need them. And the problem is rapidly being solved by the mass migration to FT8. All of these hundreds of digital modes and submodes are dying like flies after the first frost. Most of these modes may not even have a single amateur radio operator on them at any give time.

The exception to that is RTTY, one of the oldest digital modes.  It is only used now for contest, and DX operations. Relativity speaking hardly anyone operates on RTTY for any other purpose. RTTY is extremely easy to identify by ear, or on the waterfall.

People who want more conversation than the signal report/location of FT8 come on here all the time and saying "hey lets all meet on Olivia this weekend or some other new mode.  As a percentage of digital operations these "events" are a drop in the bucket.  One reason Olivia is not more popular is that there are so many different flavors of Olivia, it is just crazy. PICK ONE and drop the rest.
When you hear or see an Olivia signal, you have no idea which "flavor" of Olivia you are hearing. It can take several minutes of rotating thru the settings to try to decode it. Too many flavors, and no-one using Reed Solomon ident prefix.

So bottom line:  Get on FT8.  forget about all other digital modes except RTTY for DXpeditions and contesting.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 07:30:23 AM »

I hope some software for this pops up in the near future...

Thanks,
Dave
Amateur Radio: RFI help, Reviews, Setup information, and more...
https://www.nk7z.net
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 09:22:31 AM »

I appreciate the comments, BUT because of my delicate handicap-made a typing error, I meant Sad.

I enjoy a conversations in (rag chew) using Olivia & PSK31 modes, NOT into FT8 at all.   FT8 is not a "...conversational..." mode.

Also, due to my handicap, I am very very slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww Sad

Ken KC8Y
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 09:37:06 AM »

Olivia is where you want to be, as it is VEEEEERY slow.  But I still don't know of any software that will tell you which of the about a dozen flavors of Olivia you are listening to.  Another problem is Olivia can be decoded below the noise floor so you may not hear it at all or see it just faintly on the waterfall.  But it is there none the less.  If more operators would just use Reed Solomon ident, this problem would be solved.  But it is still not a panoramic mode.  You still have to find it and click on it and get it centered in the crosshairs for decoding to begin. This is one reason FT8 is so ubiquitous.  No centering, no tuning. Just go to the exact freq. for that band, and BOOM, every signal on the planet you can hear decodes all at once. 

For those that operate Olivia, once and for all, each and every transmission should be prefixed with the Reed Solomon identifier. If you refuse to do this, soon you are going to be QSO'ing yourself on Olivia.
KA1VF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 12:36:58 PM »

I've been operating the "traditional" (non WSJT-X) modes since October of 2008
and I haven't tried the WSJT-X modes because my vintage (circa 2002) IBM laptop
doesn't have enough "horsepower" to run the WSJT-X software package. I've always
used the "free" versions of HRD/DM780 as my Digital software package, and I've
made a few Olivia QSO's in recent months with Reed Solomon turned on to identify
which of the 11 flavors of Olivia I'm printing on the screen.

note: the published 20 meter Olivia calling freq. is 14.072 (8/500 flavor).

Bob

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 01:55:16 PM »

K0UA,

Thank you for your explanation. I must admit that I have no interest in digital modes because from 1989 to 2014, my whole professional life was designing radios and radio systems to transmit and receiver digits, sometimes with final BERs after error correction of 1 in 10^-9 and I am totally fed up with the whole concept as a result! So your explanation has at least told me as much as I wish to know about them....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: