The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Ham needing assistance on an antenna  (Read 8191 times)
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 10:27:04 AM »

ONAIR, what are you using for a counterpoise in the hotel room?  What bands are you on?  How much power?
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2018, 02:26:40 PM »

ONAIR, what are you using for a counterpoise in the hotel room?  What bands are you on?  How much power?
  100 watts with a 30 foot counterpoise.  Worked on 10, 17, 20, and 40, and have done NVIS on 80M as well!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 02:33:41 PM by ONAIR » Logged
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 02:34:51 PM »

Thanks!
W7WQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2018, 02:40:15 PM »

Hello there.  If I may suggest....the biggest inverted vee or if you have a couple of trees a half wave dipole or if you have space a 135 foot center fed wire...use a tuner and work all bands...make it out of 18 or so ga wire and its almost invisible.  And any of the above will work better than a gimmicky piece of crap.  If you have real asses on the HOA board, do the inverted V following the lines of the apex of your roof.  The biggest drawback to the small space or gimmicks is yes, it will take a load, however, you will soon tire of hearing all these stations but none hear you.  Those that do give you a shitty report and you go away thinking....why did I get into this hobby.   
N6CIC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2018, 01:38:01 PM »

I lived in an HOA for a while and resorted to an indoor dipole in the attic, and a sloper dipole that I would put out the window to a tree at night. I would take it in after my operating session. Another possibility is a Hamstick type of vertical on a speaker tripod with one of two radials. To change bands you have to change the Hamstick, and add or remove length from the radials. That is easy to do if you roll up the ends with the wire you don't need. I found that all of these "sneaky" antennas performed pretty well and were easy to load ( I didn't even need a tuner).

Good luck and have fun! 73s, Scott, N6CIC
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2018, 07:55:46 AM »

Once in late 90's I operated out of a motel until they tracked me down because I was causing problem with cable tv in motel. Never tried it again.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
AC9SF

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2018, 12:39:31 PM »

Another vote for Ultimax. I have their 72ā€™ DXtreme installed in my attic and it works great on 6 through 80 meters. SWR is 1.5 or less on all bands. Removed the LDG tuners from both my 590SG and 7610; -Unnecessary.

Am going to get the 50ā€™ version to take with us to Florida next season to install in the garage of our place there.

Jim, AC9SF
KF0QS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2018, 09:50:11 PM »

You haven't said anything about the layout of the house.  With that in mind, I agree with the poster who suggested a stealth inverted vee in a tree in your yard (I have one of these), and/or the posters who suggested something in your attic.  It has been my experience that your best bet will be with an actual wire antenna, cut to the frequency you want to utilize, however you have to put it up.

With an inverted vee, cut for 40 meters, you can usually use that antenna for 15 meters as well (though 15 isn't super active right now at this point in the sunspot cycle).  And, a dipole for 20 meters is actually relatively short, so you could either sneak that up in a tree as well, or you could put it in your attic.

I feel that either of these alternatives is better than the compromise antennas you are considering, unless you really don't think you have the room in the attic, and don't have the ability to put up a small gauge wire inverted vee in a tree.

Good luck!  We'll look for you on the bands.
N5BCN

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2018, 07:53:01 AM »

If your house is two story, consider putting a wire under the eaves or laying it on the roof.  It will be at least 17 feet above the ground.  18 gauge or smaller wire at that height is fairly hard to see.

Good luck, N5BCN Brian
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2018, 06:14:20 AM »

I've used a magnetic loop on PSK-31, 20 meters. It sat in the front yard. I have no restrictions. The U.S. was well within reach.

Loops are sharp and require retuning if you move 10 KHz or so. Fine for digital modes. Not fine for voice modes.

Perhaps vie for a flagpole at just the right height. Lay some radials and shunt feed the pole. Ta-da! A vertical.

You will find a way young man or woman.

Kraus

AC2RY

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2018, 11:03:04 AM »

Iā€™m a new ham and want to up setup my first ham shack.  I recently purchased a  Icon 7300 transceiver. The next thing needed is an antenna. I live in a HOA community so my options are limited.
I am considering one of the following options:

1) MFJ-1788 Super Hi-Q loop.

2) MFJ-936B  - Hi efficiency Loop Tuner and a separate loop antenna such as
     a MFJ-58B or similar.

I was informed that the MFJ-1788 had quality control issues and it is not recommended for new Hams.  Would you confirm this or suggest that I should be okay with it?

Also, I'm considering the purchase of the MFJ-936B hi efficiency loop tuner and a separate loop antenna. What is your advice on this setup? My Icon 7300 has a built in tuner, would I be able to use this instead of the purchase of the MFJ-936B?

Looking at Google Map view of your house, you may be able to hide vertical from plain view between two trees at the back of your property. You can either install something like ZeroFive GP, or go DIY like 10GA wire inside fibreglass pole (Spiderbeam sells a good one). 33 feet should be a starting point. In both cases add ICOM AH-4 tuner at the base of the antenna to operate on any band from 10 to 80 meters. It will not be the most efficient antenna for 40 and 80, but it will work. As with any verticals, do not forget add radials field. If your case they can be on or under the ground.

VE7HJ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2018, 05:00:21 PM »

I have a great solution for you. My friend VE7FMN installed a loop antenna in his attic. He uses a Icom AH-2 tuner.
I have the very same tuner for sale with a 75 foot control cable.

The who package can be yours for $200 USD and shipping.

Email me for images and details.

James Johnson

email va7cnd@shaw.ca
KC1BMD

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2018, 10:30:17 AM »

Almost 3-mo later and the OP is MIA. Maybe you guys scared him into a new hobby.  Grin
KE0MUG

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2018, 01:41:23 PM »

Have you tried talking to your HOA?  I live in a townhouse community here in Minnesota and our HOA has agreed that I could have an antenna in the back of my townhouse.  Also, We are looking at the purchase of a summer home (like a tiny house). I talked with the Park Manager who was willing to take My information to the "Board of Directors" and called me yesterday informing me that the board granted approval for a 25 to 35' virtical antenna.

I think you have to be open and willing to work with the association and understand that they have little to no understanding what you are asking for.  In my case they wanted pictures of the antenna as well as asurance that I would work with any neighbors to resolve any problems.

73 KE0MUG
Chuck
W3TTT

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2018, 08:06:12 AM »

Once in late 90's I operated out of a motel until they tracked me down because I was causing problem with cable tv in motel. Never tried it again.
Cable is digital now.  Why not just try it again?
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: