The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Ham needing assistance on an antenna  (Read 8192 times)
W3TTT

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2018, 08:08:03 AM »

Again If I was in your position, with the limitations, I would keep the original rigs, and put up a stelth antenna.  Try a very thin random wire in a tree.  Or a dipole in the attic.  Or lode up your gutters.  If the gutters are plastic then slip a wire in.  Or put up a stelth flagpole antenna.    All the more fun to see what will work for you and I'll make a bet you can do it.  Joe W3TTT
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2018, 08:12:14 AM »

IMO...In an already diminished propagation cycle your compromise antennas will be very disappointing. OK better than nothing but....
I know this would be a violation of your agreement but if it were me I would run a random long wire up into some trees from the window or terrace.  Use 18 gauge wire with insulation that most blends in with the surroundings.  The shielded side wire (counterpoise) can be run inside the apartment along the floor board against the wall.  Use a 1:1 choke balun to limit/eliminate any return RF. See if you radio's auto tuner likes the load.  Experiment....Any decent length of wire outdoors beats an overpriced compromise internal antenna.
AJ4SN

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2018, 12:20:17 PM »

I have been in your situation, and I have used a mag loop indoors with disappointing results. A mag loop indoors for low power digital work is fine, but for other modes it is challenging. A very small, nearly  invisible wire at almost any height will outperform the mag loop. I shut two very small wires in a window to form the two legs of a dipole, and it worked surprisingly well. Best of luck, friend!

Stan
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2018, 10:26:30 PM »

Once in late 90's I operated out of a motel until they tracked me down because I was causing problem with cable tv in motel. Never tried it again.
Cable is digital now.  Why not just try it again?
  Agreed. Almost all hotels now have digital cable TV.  Have been able to operate for the most part without being noticed!
K4NNK

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2019, 06:46:35 PM »

I found that my magnetic loop was difficult to tune. A short verticle clamped on a railing might be easier.  I suggest that you continue to get opinions from experienced hams, and spend time learning about antennas from independent sources such as the ARRL Antenna Book, in addition to manufacturers' advertisements.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: