The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 28 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KH1/KH7Z - Baker Island  (Read 24185 times)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2018, 02:58:00 PM »

Congrats to those who have KH1 in their logs already! For me things got a bit more complicated: my rotator stopped working about 30 minutes ago! It's pointed to 35 degrees (KH1 is 270 degrees from here), so I may be out of luck! Oh well, I was QRT for over 25 years, I will survive a few weeks (or months) of being QRT again, no?  Grin

It's unpleasant, but things do happen, it's not the end of the world. If I don't work KH1 now, at least I may experience the thrill of working another DXpedition to Baker some 10, 15, or 20 years from now. GL to you all!

Marvin VE3VEE

Marvin when you say the rotator stopped what kind of problem is it?  Is there voltage coming out of the rotator controller and going to the motor?  If it's a controller problem you could probably use a car battery and turn the antenna.

Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2018, 03:02:19 PM »

Can you climb up and rotate by hand?

Unfortunately not. It's a 100ft tilt-over mast. It's not possible to climb it. To do any work, I have to lower the thing down. It's a complicated process. I suspect something may be mechanically wrong with the Prosistel PST-71 rotor, but I'm not sure. What complicates identifying the issue is that fact that my QTH is a 6 hour round trip from home. There's only so much I can do remotely.

Marvin VE3VEE
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2018, 03:07:20 PM »

Marvin when you say the rotator stopped what kind of problem is it?  Is there voltage coming out of the rotator controller and going to the motor?  If it's a controller problem you could probably use a car battery and turn the antenna.

Rob

Rob, in about 10 minutes I will be speaking on the phone with the maker of Green Heron RT-21 rotor controller. He may be able to ID the problem remotely.

Marvin VE3VEE
WB9LUR

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2018, 03:07:57 PM »

Congrats to those who have KH1 in their logs already! For me things got a bit more complicated: my rotator stopped working about 30 minutes ago! It's pointed to 35 degrees (KH1 is 270 degrees from here), so I may be out of luck! Oh well, I was QRT for over 25 years, I will survive a few weeks (or months) of being QRT again, no?  Grin

It's unpleasant, but things do happen, it's not the end of the world. If I don't work KH1 now, at least I may experience the thrill of working another DXpedition to Baker some 10, 15, or 20 years from now. GL to you all!

Marvin VE3VEE

Backup antenna? Dipole or vertical or???

. .

73, Randy / WB9LUR - http://www.CallingDX.com

. .
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2018, 03:39:02 PM »

Rob

Rob, in about 10 minutes I will be speaking on the phone with the maker of Green Heron RT-21 rotor controller. He may be able to ID the problem remotely.

Marvin VE3VEE

Good luck Marvin, I hope you get it worked out.

Hmm... not a peep heard on the 20m or 17m spots this afternoon.. so far it looks like the only window I have a chance at hearing them so far is in the morning. This one's gonna be tough.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 03:41:22 PM by KB2FCV » Logged
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2018, 03:52:26 PM »

Good luck Marvin, I hope you get it worked out.

I just spoke with Jeff, the manufacturer of my Green Heron RT-21 controller. After describing to him what I see remotely via his  RT-21 Setup Utility, he thinks my rotor has developed a mechanical issue. I will likely be QRT for a while (months). But I will be back.

Marvin VE3VEE
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2018, 04:16:25 PM »

Unfortunately not. It's a 100ft tilt-over mast. It's not possible to climb it. To do any work, I have to lower the thing down. It's a complicated process. I suspect something may be mechanically wrong with the Prosistel PST-71 rotor, but I'm not sure. What complicates identifying the issue is that fact that my QTH is a 6 hour round trip from home. There's only so much I can do remotely.

Marvin VE3VEE

Dang - there's gotta be something you can do!  Huh
N1CX

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2018, 04:17:08 PM »

Throw that prosistel in the local landfill. If the motor doesn't get waterlogged, the azimuth pot goes bad, the shafts shear like butter, bolts fall out, gears strip, sheesh it never ended with those things. The Orion is a much better rotor for stuff up to a 5 el 20 then a k7nv prop pitch is the absolute right way to go. Wish I was closer I'd come and help you.
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2018, 04:17:27 PM »

Sorry to hear that Marvin.

Just worked them on 20 cw.  Not too strong, but I'm in the log.  

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2018, 04:19:37 PM »

Speaking of which, is there an online log?

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2018, 04:27:53 PM »

Throw that prosistel in the local landfill. If the motor doesn't get waterlogged, the azimuth pot goes bad, the shafts shear like butter, bolts fall out, gears strip, sheesh it never ended with those things. The Orion is a much better rotor for stuff up to a 5 el 20 then a k7nv prop pitch is the absolute right way to go. Wish I was closer I'd come and help you.

Thanks. For some reason, the Orion rotor has bad reviews on eHam. How much are those prop pitch rotors?

I cannot hear KH1 at all with my antenna pointed north north east.  Angry

Marvin VE3VEE
N5VYS

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2018, 04:31:45 PM »

Marvin VE3VEE
I'm sorry you are having rotator problems Marvin. My radio went south during the Heard Is. operation.

Well at least it happen before you put up the new  antenna?

Obie N5VYS
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2018, 05:03:16 PM »

Lookin' at 14.090 FT8. As I suspected too many people don't have a clue how to use F&H mode, they are just calling KH1 in the Fox area directly. I'm not even sure most of the callers in the right area are even seeing his signal I think they just had a reflex reaction to the DX cluster spot.

It's gonna be a loooooong DXpedition.  Angry
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2018, 05:10:07 PM »

Lookin' at 14.090 FT8. As I suspected too many people don't have a clue how to use F&H mode, they are just calling KH1 in the Fox area directly. I'm not even sure most of the callers in the right area are even seeing his signal I think they just had a reflex reaction to the DX cluster spot.

It's gonna be a loooooong DXpedition.  Angry

Yup I'm watching as well. Some guys have calling in the fox area for almost an hour. They're not gonna see you there! The only issue though is that they are potentially stepping on someone else when pulled into the fox area.

I do see a few guys making it through. I do hope that they are getting some of the QSO rates (4 or 5 per clip) that they were hoping for. I don't see any trace of KH1/KH7Z so I'm just observing for now. I'm hoping they'll do some 40m FT8 at our sunrise.. so far that's the only band I've heard them on from here.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2018, 05:48:56 PM »

One way around the rotator problem may be to try 17 meters with a tuner, where the antenna may no longer have a significant F/B ratio.

Zak W1VT
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 28 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: