The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Emtron Amplifiers  (Read 6669 times)
KA4DPO

Ignore
« on: June 27, 2018, 08:31:53 AM »

So I have been looking for Emtron amps and the only information I can find says they are still in Australia.  I thought they were going to be available here in the US in 2016 but it looks like they are no longer around.  Does anyone know if they are up and running, they look like decent amps but I have not seen them at any hamfests.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 11:22:39 AM »

So I have been looking for Emtron amps and the only information I can find says they are still in Australia.  I thought they were going to be available here in the US in 2016 but it looks like they are no longer around.  Does anyone know if they are up and running, they look like decent amps but I have not seen them at any hamfests.

It does seem confusing.   Three years ago there was this announcement:  http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/dayton_new_products/2015_dayton_new_products/misc/Dishtronix-Emtron.pdf

But nothing Emtron appears on the Dishtronix website today.  Nothing Emtron appears on the Alpha RF Systems website today.

Yet the Emtron website, which was updated in 2018, is still alive and evidently taking orders:  http://www.emtron.com.au/

For each of their amps they say they sell "factory direct" (from AU):

The EMTRON DX-2SP is sold factory direct, no "middle man" mark up, you do business directly with the designers and producers, with people who know the heart and soul of the DX-2SP, and they will always be able to give you expert technical advice and after sales service. So, get the biggest bargain in top brand linear amplifiers. You are getting a Rolls Royce for the price of a Mini. The DX-2SP was especially developed by EMTRON for those discerning HAM operators who demand quality and performance. This power house will handle all the rigour and demands of contest, DX-ing and high duty cycle emissions.

So, I give up!
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 01:34:04 PM »

It does seem confusing.   Three years ago there was this announcement:  http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/dayton_new_products/2015_dayton_new_products/misc/Dishtronix-Emtron.pdf

But nothing Emtron appears on the Dishtronix website today.  Nothing Emtron appears on the Alpha RF Systems website today.

Yet the Emtron website, which was updated in 2018, is still alive and evidently taking orders:  http://www.emtron.com.au/

For each of their amps they say they sell "factory direct" (from AU):

The EMTRON DX-2SP is sold factory direct, no "middle man" mark up, you do business directly with the designers and producers, with people who know the heart and soul of the DX-2SP, and they will always be able to give you expert technical advice and after sales service. So, get the biggest bargain in top brand linear amplifiers. You are getting a Rolls Royce for the price of a Mini. The DX-2SP was especially developed by EMTRON for those discerning HAM operators who demand quality and performance. This power house will handle all the rigour and demands of contest, DX-ing and high duty cycle emissions.

So, I give up!

Thank's Steve.  It looks like the DX1 is FCC approved.   I'm not crazy about the tube choice but it sounds like a good amp.  I don't know if it is legal to export the DX2 so that one is probably out of the question.  I also like the fact that the Emtron amps are not auto tuning which means they are user repairable. 

Maybe the deal fell through and Rudy decided to hang on for a while longer.  No prices are quoted on their web site but my guess is that shipping from AU will seriously increase the price. 
WX0B

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 12:29:34 PM »

What do you do for service from Emtron?  Nothing on their website, I tried to email Rudy through the website a few weeks ago, about a customer who is sending us a DX2 for repair nothing heard back from them.  I don't know but without service it seems a hard sell.  Anyone know how to reach them or what the deal is anymore?
VK4SX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 03:02:31 PM »

Ruby has relinquished his factory lease, all done I would imagine, nothing arose from the Dishtronix thingy,
spoke with him last week,
some one else may have better info.
Regards.
Dennis vk4sx
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 04:53:21 PM »

Hi,

What ever you do, DO NOT say that any company associated with Dishtronix is dead, or there will be heck to pay from the fanboys....  Grin 
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 07:12:05 PM »

Hi,

What ever you do, DO NOT say that any company associated with Dishtronix is dead, or there will be heck to pay from the fanboys....  Grin 

LOL

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 08:24:34 PM »

Ruby has relinquished his factory lease, all done I would imagine, nothing arose from the Dishtronix thingy,
spoke with him last week,
some one else may have better info.
Regards.
Dennis vk4sx

Thanks Dennis.  It sounds like Rudy threw in the towel, and the folks who were supposed to build them?  Well, I think they just bit off way more than they could chew.  It's too bad because they looked like really well built amps.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 10:22:23 AM »

Quote from: KA4DPO
.....Thank's Steve.  It looks like the DX1 is FCC approved.   I'm not crazy about the tube choice but it sounds like a good amp......

I have a DX-1d that uses the former tube, the 4CX800/GU74b; with a but less output.  The 4CX1500 tube was employed a few years ago.  Rudy use to have a rep in Virginia, and I got mine thru him at Dayton.  It is beautifully constructed, with soft start, and optional QSK module.  I had been looking at Acom as well, Alpha was out, but in retrospect I should have gone to Ameritron, and stayed "local", and saved a few bucks too.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 10:33:19 AM by K3GM » Logged
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 11:15:06 AM »

Jay, WX0B, is right about service. IMO, I wouldn't touch anything made by a company that's out of business. I had a Tokyo Hy-Power amp (a beautiful piece of electronics) and sold it when they went OOB. A failure by a proprietary part, like possibly the microprocessor, and you have a very expensive paperweight. Looks like the only quality, protected manual-tune tube amps left (avoiding in-limbo Alpha) are Acom and OM Power. Just my 2 cents.
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 02:09:46 PM »

How big a market exists for amps in the $5000 and higher price class?  I know money is no object to many hams, but how many high end amp producers compete and survive, while keeping up with current state of the art?
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2018, 04:51:17 AM »

How big a market exists for amps in the $5000 and higher price class?  I know money is no object to many hams, but how many high end amp producers compete and survive, while keeping up with current state of the art?

Biggest selling amp meeting your query must be the KPA-1500. ($6000 amp that is state of the art.) My guess sales are in the very low thousands.

I'm thinking OM Power and Acom sales are several hundred each year.

New Alpha amp sales were probably at the above levels a few years ago. Today they must be much much lower in new sales, but there's a very large supply of used ones (heck some 40+ years old) out there trading hands every few years.

I personally know of two Emtrons in the USA but I would be surprised if they ever sold more than a few dozen in the states. The owners I know do get support and some parts straight from VK.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 08:27:29 AM »

Biggest selling amp meeting your query must be the KPA-1500. ($6000 amp that is state of the art.) My guess sales are in the very low thousands.

I'm thinking OM Power and Acom sales are several hundred each year.

New Alpha amp sales were probably at the above levels a few years ago. Today they must be much much lower in new sales, but there's a very large supply of used ones (heck some 40+ years old) out there trading hands every few years.

I personally know of two Emtrons in the USA but I would be surprised if they ever sold more than a few dozen in the states. The owners I know do get support and some parts straight from VK.

No doubt the Elecraft amp is very nice but it is pricey.  I'm just guessing but an educated guess would be that Ameritron outsells all of the other brands based on price vs performance, and they also have a lot of different amps to choose from.  I know the future of high power RF amplifiers is solid state, but there are still plenty of hams who don't need super fast QSY and are perfectly happy with a manually tuned amp.

As for Alpha, They are still showing the 9500 as being on backorder.  It's been like that for over a year now, supposedly waiting on parts.  If you can't get parts in over a year something is seriously wrong.  Also, the 8410 says there is only one in stock and that has also been the case for over six months or more. 

They could have been producing Emtron amplifiers at a decent price but for some reason they chose not to.  Very strange situation.

I am kind of curious how the Emtron owners you mentioned go about getting parts, I have heard that Emtron, AU does not return Emails, don't know about phone calls but it looks like they have closed up shop.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018, 10:07:07 AM »

I suspect that you can fix any amp that is not all or partially Unobtanium, like custom processors or 20-year-old specialized chips. lots of ways to sub other parts. one issue is single-quantity pricing on lower-production items like power variable caps. Really Cool Switches are included in the definition of Unobtanium, like some models of Alpha. don't think there are any Unobtanium mines operating, so you can't buy a block of it and carve it to fit.
AE0Q

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 07:12:32 AM »

As for Alpha, They are still showing the 9500 as being on backorder.  It's been like that for over a year now, supposedly waiting on parts.  If you can't get parts in over a year something is seriously wrong.  Also, the 8410 says there is only one in stock and that has also been the case for over six months or more. 

I see you have taken the opportunity to bash Alpha again, nice way to work that in, DPO.

Now, if you REALLY cared that much you would be checking the Alpha web site much more often, and you would have seen 9500 amps listed IN STOCK 3 times in the last month.  We only list them IN STOCK when in fact there is one tested and ready to ship.  They all sold, and when the next one is finished it too will be IN STOCK.  The same for the 8410 amps.  Just because you don't see the web site, or aren't actually checking it and just saying this crap, Alpha does sell and ship amps.

And yes, I do work at Alpha.  Just like I did last month and last year, every time you've worked in the innuendo that I don't.

Glenn AE0Q

Glenn and V-NATCH Katie,
HP-O, MXB, MJB, XF, TKI
http://www.hoopsandjumps.com/
http://funagility.webs.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: