The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Emtron Amplifiers  (Read 5980 times)
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2018, 08:32:12 AM »

NP Art.  I just was wondering how such a very publicized deal went south almost immediately.   Acom makes nice products at very reasonable prices, I am afraid the trade war will increase the price of Chinese 8877's, that will impact everyone.  Even though the trend is toward solid state there is still a lot of room for tube gear in the QRO market.  Lets hope they hang in there because the 8877,  and even 3-500 tube amps are still more reliable.

Now thats just rubbish, especially the notion that 3-500Z tubes are more reliable.

There is no LEGAL point purchasing a tube amp these days; heck, even the 'ancient' Tokyo Hy-Power HL-2.5Kfx with its "ever mysterious" already public domain PIC microprocessor can make well in excess of 2Kw.  

I mean, obviously I'm overlooking the unregulated 2.9kVa LINEAR power supply which might be hard to repair... and perhaps the lack of a combiner network and the usage of 2 currently produced MOSFETs may be challenging to work on... but heck, why worry about details?  Solid State is hard, right?

I love tubes as much as the next guy, but whats the point buying a NEW tube amp these days when modern solid state designs will do the legal limit and a bit more in every country in the world?  Not to mention the fact they offer unheard of levels of shack automation out of the box these days.

Unless you're wanting to enter the 'California Kilowatt' 4Kw+ Class, tube amps are dead.

The only tube amp on the market worth buying new as of today is the OM Power OM4000HF, and good luck powering that beast.  If you're into home brew, there is still some fun to be had with the 3CX3000A7.

Sorry, but its the truth.  Bought a solid stater, had the finals go due to an exciter, and had it fixed cheaper than a years' set of tubes for an AL-811H.  I'll never look back unless its to produce my 'dream amp', but I'll need to pick up an industrial sized 3 phase diesel generator cheap at auction first for it to be worth the effort.

Oh, and then there is the minor detail of needing to obtain some kind of experimental class license to even use it legally...  I'm sure with high power tube amps being cutting edge and all, the local regulator will be foaming at the mouth to help facilitate that...

No question that Solid State can deliver full QRO using less power than any tube.  The only downside to SS amps is surge from lightning, and the ability of the user to repair them.  I realize the power supplies are surge protected but lightning can do a number on them and they are not simple power supplies.  

There is also the problem of user serviceability with SS amps that can't be denied.  The control circuitry can be a problem even if components are readily available which, unfortunately, many are proprietary.  A manually tuned triode amplifier is simplicity its self, as is the power supply, and can be repaired by almost anyone.  

So your post, while somewhat true, is not germane to the subject at hand.  Perhaps you can shed some light on what happened to Emtron?

N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2018, 10:24:59 AM »

VK3BL, I don't disagree with your point but the reason I bought the ACOM 2100 is because it was over $2000 cheaper than the Elecraft KPA 1500.  I was considering Emtron amps but that was about the time Dishtronics said that they acquired the company but I found nothing about that on Dish's site.
Art
VR2AX

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2018, 10:27:04 PM »

Possibly a phone call to the number on the Emtron website, during Sydney daylight hours, would bring a fast answer.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2018, 10:26:46 AM »

Possibly a phone call to the number on the Emtron website, during Sydney daylight hours, would bring a fast answer.

I'll let you know.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2018, 10:39:00 AM »

The US distributor was Advanced Communications in Lynchburg, VA.  The contact there is/was George Kowalczyk.  He no doubt could provide some background on the state of Emtron.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2018, 03:29:54 PM »

The US distributor was Advanced Communications in Lynchburg, VA.  The contact there is/was George Kowalczyk.  He no doubt could provide some background on the state of Emtron.

His name is Jerzy Kowalczyk, and although he is a very nice guy, he doesn't know anything.  So the mystery of Emtron continues.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2018, 07:37:41 PM »

Yes, Jerzy is the Polish version of the masculine given name, George.  Too bad...  He and Rudy attended Dayton together at least once, and possibly Friedrikschafen too.  My amp was shipped from Virginia, but that was a while back.  Sorry that was dead end.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2018, 01:18:59 PM »

Yes, Jerzy is the Polish version of the masculine given name, George.  Too bad...  He and Rudy attended Dayton together at least once, and possibly Friedrikschafen too.  My amp was shipped from Virginia, but that was a while back.  Sorry that was dead end.

I think it's safe to say Emtron is history.
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2018, 03:05:03 PM »

Biggest selling amp meeting your query must be the KPA-1500. ($6000 amp that is state of the art.) My guess sales are in the very low thousands.

I would say that is a huge stretch which would exceed the Ameritrom AL-811/811H which is known as the worlds best selling amp.

Ameritron also claims sales of ~100 a year on the AL-82 and 1500 and way less on the 1200 but the 1300/1306 are flying out the door.

Carl
KA3TKZ

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2018, 09:22:59 AM »

I just talked to Mr. Rudy from Emtron a few days ago.  The amps are now longer in full production mode.  Mr. Rudy is RETIRED!  He , on the other hand, is still making the amps in his leisure which means you get it when ever.  He is retired and works when he wants so an amp may take a few months to get.  I do a bit of work on these amps every once in a while.

Whitney
N3ZV
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2018, 12:09:44 PM »

I just talked to Mr. Rudy from Emtron a few days ago.  The amps are now longer in full production mode.  Mr. Rudy is RETIRED!  He , on the other hand, is still making the amps in his leisure which means you get it when ever.  He is retired and works when he wants so an amp may take a few months to get.  I do a bit of work on these amps every once in a while.

Whitney
N3ZV

Thanks Whitney, I knew that Rudy wanted to retire so I am a little surprised that he is still building them at all.  My understanding was that someone else had purchased the Emtron company so I wonder if Rudy makes them under a different name?   

Anyway, good to know that one can still be had if you are patient.  Shipping from AU has got to be pretty expensive though, would have been nice if they could have been built here in the US.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: