The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New furnace RFI?  (Read 2866 times)
WB4SPT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2018, 08:58:08 AM »

Care to share what you did to quiet your XV90 or did it come like that out of the box?  As I said before they eventually found a fix for it's RFI troubles.

I separated out the induction motor drive wires (3) from the rest of the wiring harness.   I pulled the contacts out of the plug-in PCB connector.   Then, two wraps of the individual wires around 3x mix 31 cylinders.   Braided the 3 conductors from chokes to motor.   re-inserted the contacts.   
The 120V mains in was fed thru a metal cased Corcom line filter.   The thermostat cable received a split core mix 31.  I recall a second LV wire out of the cabinet getting a 2nd split core, but forgot its function.  Perhaps the control voltage to a remote electrostatic air filter, or maybe the control cable to the outside compressor unit.   
All told, the RFI at 75 to 20m was reduced about 20dB, as viewed on the Rx S meter.  To about S2/ish.   
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 10:27:12 AM »

If it were me, I wouldn't want ANY RFI"ish" noise from my HVAC system Cheesy. An S2 noise level will block out an S1 signal. Pre-purchase of an HVAC system, I would buy one with no RF hash, guaranteed by the dealer.
KC1BMD

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 11:29:04 AM »

… I would buy one with no RF hash, guaranteed by the dealer.

I'd like to see someone try to get that in writing. Smiley
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 12:48:25 PM »

… I would buy one with no RF hash, guaranteed by the dealer.

I'd like to see someone try to get that in writing. Smiley

I and a friend of mine specified that in the contracts of our new HVAC systems. Basically, it stated that eliminating any RFI to our amateur radio receivers was solely the responsibility of the dealer/installer. They were confident of steps needed, if necessary, to mitigate any problems. Of course, both of us specified no 2-stage compressors, and no variable speed motors. We were fairly confident that there would not be an issue in the first place, but covered our butts anyway. We weren't about to start messing and experimenting with the electronics of brand new units Wink.
N3WXI

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 01:43:51 PM »

The system I plan to order (probably tomorrow) has no 2 stage compressor in the A/C and no variable speed motor in the furnace.  I also am confident in the new equipment (It is NOT an XV90).  I'm intending to discuss at length the RFI situation before I "pull the trigger".  I'm curious about what you had specified in your contract.  What was specified as a remedy if they could NOT eliminate any RFI to your satisfaction?  I don't imagine they could reinstall your old unit.
What brand was the new equipment you installed?  Was there any RFI at install?  Thanks?
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2018, 04:50:18 PM »

The salesman was familiar with possible RFI generation, especially with variable speed motors and two stage compressors. He was confident there would be no problem with the systems I picked, but inserted "If any radio frequency interference, factory technician will come back out to filter it" into the contract. Nothing was mentioned if elimination was not possible. Sufficient language for me, as I wasn't going to mess with it. No way would I have them reinstall the 16 year old tired units Roll Eyes. I used a reputable company that I had employment dealings with in the past, so I was confident I would be taken care of.

As per a previous post to this thread, I purchased two Lennox split systems. The compressor/condenser is a ML14XC1, and the natural gas-fired furnace/blower is a ML180UH, 16 SEER systems. No RFI at all at install.

73,   Bob K7JQ   
N3WXI

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2018, 05:18:37 PM »

Thanks for that info.  I'm fairly confident that the newer systems won't have RFI problems and the responses I am getting seem to bear that out.  I am going to have a long discussion about it with the salesman before I agree to anything and am going with one of the largest and most well known companies in my area.  I have decided on a Trane system partially because they should be very familiar with RFI due to their problems with their XV90 in the early 2000s.
N0GRV

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2018, 08:06:59 PM »

here is a lot of good info on ecm motor noise and how to resolve it.

file:///C:/Users/LATITU~1/AppData/Local/Temp/Solving%20Furnace%20and%20AC_RFI_KM4LHZ_v9.pdf
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: