The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New furnace RFI?  (Read 2921 times)
N3WXI

Ignore
« on: July 05, 2018, 08:29:35 AM »

I am looking to install a new high efficiency furnace and air conditioner in my home and am concerned about RFI.  I am looking at the Trane S9X2 furnace and XR16 air conditioning unit.  This is NOT the infamous XV90 discussed at great length in these forums.  Another unit originally considered was a Bryant model 926T but it is a variable speed unit and that seems to contribute to the RFI problem.  Bryant does not make a unit that is not variable speed.  I had four companies out to give me estimates and asked each of them about RFI and all I got was a slack jawed stare from each of them.  I would like to respectfully ask on this forum if anyone has installed this Trane unit and if so what was your experience Re: RFI.  I'm thinking that even if there IS RFI from this unit their experience with the XV90, which now has a fix, could make fixing this one easier.

Thanks in advance for your help,
George
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 11:22:55 AM »

nope, but have the contractors bid their furnaces with the OEM suppression kit included. this ought to weed out the guys who just knock tin off your list.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 01:33:25 PM »

Borrow a FT-817ND and ask to visit a working install!  I also have a set of RFI snapshots done using SDR at:

https://www.nk7z.net/rfi-snapshots/

A variable speed motor is normally a lot RFI louder than a fixed speed motor...  I had them remove the variable speed motor, and replace it with a fixed speed motor.  I have no RFI.

Thanks,
Dave
Amateur Radio: RFI help, Reviews, Setup information, and more...
https://www.nk7z.net
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 02:16:23 PM »

I had a new Trane heat pump installed last year. It has an outdoor unit with a single speed compressor (similar to the XR16). The blower fan in the indoor unit has a variable speed fan. It's hard to find a modern unit that doesn't have a variable speed fan. Anyway, I don't have any RFI issues with it - BUT - my antenna is located 100-feet from the house with all feed lines underground.

My Son had the same unit installed in his house the year before so I went over there with a hand-held Icom HF receiver to check out the noise before I purchased one. I didn't find any noise on any HF band unless I placed the receiver within about a foot of the unit. I was very concerned about the digital control system (a bunch of PC boards with flashing LEDs and all), but didn't find a problem.

The variable speed fan is kind if nice because it starts slow and gradually comes up to speed, unlike my old one which used to make noise each time it started.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 02:27:39 PM »

Furnaces have used multi-speed blower motors for decades. Medium range speed for heat, higher speed for A/C.
N3WXI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 03:12:16 PM »

Thanks for the reply's.  I'm aware that the main blower is multispeed, higher speed to move the denser cold air from the A/C, but my research tells me that the variable speed advertised is problematic as far as RFI is concerned, i.e. the furnaces with variable speed seem to be more likely to have RFI.  I don't know what this has to do  with the blower motor since it is the inducer motor that is the culprit.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 04:24:04 PM »

Furnaces have used multi-speed blower motors for decades. Medium range speed for heat, higher speed for A/C.

That's true but they were two speed motors that had taps on the windings. It was either high speed or low speed depending on which wires you applied the voltage to. The new systems have "variable speed" which is continuously variable and uses an electronic control circuit to send current pulses to the motor. That's what causes the RFI.

Some units now also have a "variable speed" compressor. The old way was to turn the compressor on until the desired temp. was reached and then turn it off. The new way is to run the compressor all the time and adjust it's speed to supply just the amount of heat or cooling needed to maintain the desired temperature. The result is better efficiency and a steady temperature.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
N3WXI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 10:47:54 AM »

Agreed.  Actually in the variable speed furnaces the main blower runs all the time.  When the thermostat is not calling for heat or cooling the blower runs at a very low speed, this accomplishes two things.  Ordinarily as a house cools in the winter it cools more quickly in certain areas like around windows and doors.  The circulating air tends to eliminate this effect keeping the house more comfortable.  Second the home's air is constantly circulated through the air filter keeping the air cleaner.  Or so they say.  I don't know what all this has to do with RFI however as we know from the XV90 episode that the RFI comes from the inducer motor (actually it's drive circuits) and that motor only runs when the burner is running, at least I think so.  I'm thinking I should call one of the companies I got an estimate from and clarify some of this.   I'm just hoping that the RFI has been fixed in this later generation of Trane funace (S9X2) and air conditioning (XR16).
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 12:59:47 PM »

I just had two Lennox Merit series HVAC systems installed here in "hot" Arizona. I specified no two-stage compressor, and no variable speed blower motor. They do a wonderful job, and no trace of RFI from either unit. You get some great perks/discounts if you buy it through a kiosk in Costco.
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 01:06:41 PM »

Forgot to mention...they are 16 SEER systems. You mentioned wanting to buy a high efficiency system. Probably the more expensive 20+ SEER units will all have two-stage compressors and variable speed motors. Comes with the territory. 16 SEER will still give you beneficial energy savings.
N3WXI

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 08:45:04 PM »

Ok.  I'm looking specifically at a Trane S9X2 two stage non variable speed furnace (S9V2 would be variable speed) and a XR16 single stage 16 SEER A/C.  I was hoping that someone reading this forum would have some experience with that model but so far no luck although the responses so far have been encouraging.  One of the factors in favor of Trane, I think, is the mess that was their model XV90 in the early 2000s.  They eventually found a fix for the RFI and if the newer units do have issues they should be able to fix it easier.
WB4SPT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 11:09:19 AM »

Just curious.  Why a furnace and not a heat pump?   No furnace = no induction motor. 

Yes, I have had some "quality EMC time" with my Trane XV90.   Shocked
N3WXI

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 11:50:56 AM »

Heat pumps aren't recommended for my area, western Pennsylvania.  Did you resolve you're XV90 issues?
WB4SPT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 03:04:37 PM »

Heat pumps aren't recommended for my area, western Pennsylvania.  Did you resolve you're XV90 issues?

Yes,   my XV90 quiet as can be.   Much better than stock.  My direct neighbor has a heat pump and he raves about it.   We are in Rochester, NY, and have very cheap electrical rate.  Am considering the switch myself.   Tired of feeding the 100,000 BTU propane beast! 
N3WXI

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 06:22:21 PM »

Care to share what you did to quiet your XV90 or did it come like that out of the box?  As I said before they eventually found a fix for it's RFI troubles.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: