The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The Same Sky" - Cold War spy tale on Netflix  (Read 9682 times)
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2019, 03:20:55 AM »

True, being a radio nerd causes a smirk at many a 'wrong time'. Decades ago, while watching some grade B action flick, allegedly in Vietnam, the 'radioman' was calling and calling into his manpack "radio". In panic he declares: "It's no good...nobody hears us!'.  I'm chuckling because hanging out the top of his ruck was his "radio";  a .50 caliber ammunition can with a magmount antenna on it.  ha ha

'Ain't no one gonna hear you with THAT, Son !'

Well, at least it would not be effected by an EMP, and no batteries necessary.

73 es HNY de Ray  ..._ ._

KC6RWI

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2019, 10:57:26 AM »

On another TV note, it also funny to hear people unfamiliar with radio terms to describe frequency, and magnetic fields when selling crystals or copper bracelets. Sometimes their claims using tech terms just don't make say sense at all. Don't get me started on free energy in a diy plan.
I also saw a fluke scope meter used in a space movie, I knew it well as I had recently purchased one, and for the unknowing it was a good prop.
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2019, 07:27:16 PM »

Radio spotting is a very popular sub hobby for anal retentive hams. You're watching a movie or TV show and the characters are using radios. You know you've got it bad when  one of the characters picks up a microphone and you pray that the camera gets a close up of the radio.  When it doesn't happen you curse at the TV for being cheated of your pleasure.  

Sadly I do the same thing with film cameras in movies and TV shows. Was watching the movie High Society on TCM and Celeste Holm had several different cameras. I thought that one 35mm camera was either a Zeiss or Nikon rangefinder. And of course someone on the web had identified it. It was a Nikon S2 rangefinder just in case you were wondering. It is essentially the same camera as the one on the front of Bob Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited just in case you were wondering: https://www.rawckus.com/bob-dylan-highway-61-revisted/

Zack N8FNR
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 07:41:26 PM by N8FNR » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: