The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 911 interference caused by wind turbines  (Read 662 times)
K2HRO

Ignore
« on: July 22, 2019, 06:52:18 PM »

My town is considering a wind farm. Two 500' turbines will be 450' the county 911 ~6 GHZ microwave path. I told the county they are nuts but I don't think they are taking it seriously.

Does anyone out there have any horror stories that would help make my case.

thanks
KB8VUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 10:10:12 PM »

Sometimes people need to find out the hard way that things like this can occur. 
If the poles are in direct path, they will get some signal attenuation.  But if it's only the rotor blades, it's gonna depend on the makeup of the blades as to how bad the fading may or may not be.
As far as them not taking you seriously, that's pretty common.  The authority of the jurisdiction only see's dollar signs in tax money when it comes to stuff like this.  And it's that mind set that gets you crap like buildings that look like baskets.  Look that now abandon building up on google for a few laughs. 

But on a side note, hope that you are right. 
If you are right and there is a problem, the next time up comment, they MAY listen.
IF you are wrong... You become Chicken Little, and you will never be given any credit for anything ever again.

AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 05:55:51 AM »

Government is 99% reactionary and 1% proactive. I'd wait until it doesn't work then enjoy the show while they try to deny the problem exists, use the problem to raise taxes, etc...

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 08:33:00 AM »

https://www.telegram.com/news/20171223/turbines-blow-hot-cold-on-financial-benefits-for-local-towns
This article has a map of wind farms in New England that may assist your research.
WB3DYE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 08:22:00 PM »

You talk abt warning the communities about the bad effects,especially at microwave.

Heres a story which is similar. The Pa State Police decided on a new radio system. Trunked at 800 mhz. I'm a ham operator and a retired TV journalist. At the time when they started to deploy it I was in TV and interviewed the project manager who is also  a ham. I told him that was the rugged mountains and deep valleys in Pennsylvania the 800 MHz  system  would have MAJOR holes and it wouldn't work. In a nice way  he told me I didn't know what I was talking about--

Fast forward to 2019---I WAS RIGHT!!!--THEY ARE TAKING THE 800 MHZ SYSTEM APART!!!!!!!!!!! I should mention it's now nearly a BILLION dollars over budget.   For nearly a year the State Auditor General (the elected taxpayers watchdog) has been looking at the system.
The state is now spending 44 million dollars more to deploy another trunked system this time VHF.

Here are links from the Auditor General and  the State Police Major who testified before a joint Senate and House Committee.

https://www.paauditor.gov/press-releases/auditor-general-depasquale-launches-review-of-statewide-radio-network

https://www.abc27.com/investigators/investigations/statewide-radio-a-nearly-billion-dollar-boondoggle/

http://pasenategop.com/communications/wp-content/uploads/sites/47/2018/03/stackhouse.pdf

W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 11:01:51 AM »

Connecticut State police did the same nonsense a few decades back... gave up the low band VHF system which worked quite well into valleys and mountainous areas for a trunked 800 MHz system.  At first it was worst than the original system.  I am sure they kept throwing money at until they filled the holes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: