The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Icom IC7610 firmware V1.10 does not work with N1MM+ spectrum display  (Read 3265 times)
KX2T

Ignore
« on: July 20, 2018, 07:43:50 AM »

Just downloaded the newest Firmware for the IC7610 today V1.10, radio works fine but lost the spectrum display when using the N1MM+ logging software, it worked with V1.06  was loade in the Icom but not now, checked and double checked the setting. Has anyone else done this and checked it as well???
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 12:19:13 PM »

Just downloaded the newest Firmware for the IC7610 today V1.10, radio works fine but lost the spectrum display when using the N1MM+ logging software, it worked with V1.06  was loade in the Icom but not now, checked and double checked the setting. Has anyone else done this and checked it as well???

Yes. The IC-7610 firmware version 1.10 contains a defect in which the packets reporting spectrum data are missing the two leading FE FE bytes specified in the CI-V protocol. This prevents the Spectrum-Waterfall windows displayed by DXLab, N1MM, RumLog, and Win4KSuite from working correctly with this new firmware installed. Icom has been notified, but polite reports to Icom Support by IC-7610 owners can only accelerate a corrective firmware update. If you've updated your IC-7610's firmware to 1.10, you can optionally revert to the previous firmware version in order to regain access to a Spectrum-Waterfall window generated by one of these applications.

I haven't updated my IC-7300 to its newly available firmware version, but ops who have done so report no regression in spectrum data reporting

#1 DXCC Honor Roll, DXCC Challenge 3000
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 02:06:05 PM »

As long as it gets fixed by October this year then its no big deal, to me the displays offered on these logging programs are rather poor and the one on the radio and the external display is far better resolution, the main thing of these displays is giving you the packet spots on the spectrum display, easy point and click. When I owned the 7300 it made things bigger but not better.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 02:50:58 PM »

As long as it gets fixed by October this year then its no big deal, to me the displays offered on these logging programs are rather poor and the one on the radio and the external display is far better resolution, the main thing of these displays is giving you the packet spots on the spectrum display, easy point and click. When I owned the 7300 it made things bigger but not better.

Your perspective is a minority view, based on the feedback I and the other application authors have received.

KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 07:09:06 AM »

I agree but Icom finally got wind of this issue from what I understand from one of there rep's, how fast this small bug will be fixed is another thing but we can hope by contest time this will be fixed. Its a handy tool during the heat of the battle which basically places the bandmap up on the spectrum display which is a nice feature, the resolution is no were near what the Icom's display looks like or on an external monitor but from the information coming out of the 7610 it works good enough. If you have there RSBA-1 software the display thrown up with the use of that program is far better resolution but here again that was designed by Icom for Icom radio's were as N1MM+ is designed for a larger swath of radio's, I do realize its hard to design such a broad spectrum of radio use, much easier when you specialize.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 07:28:28 AM »

I agree but Icom finally got wind of this issue from what I understand from one of there rep's

Icom was informed of the "missing preamble" defect in IC-7610 firmware version 1.10 on the same day that this firmware version was publicly released.

how fast this small bug will be fixed is another thing but we can hope by contest time this will be fixed. Its a handy tool during the heat of the battle which basically places the bandmap up on the spectrum display which is a nice feature, the resolution is no were near what the Icom's display looks like or on an external monitor but from the information coming out of the 7610 it works good enough. If you have there RSBA-1 software the display thrown up with the use of that program is far better resolution but here again that was designed by Icom for Icom radio's were as N1MM+ is designed for a larger swath of radio's, I do realize its hard to design such a broad spectrum of radio use, much easier when you specialize.

The IC-7610, IC-7850, and IC-7851 can convey scope data in one of two ways: via their USB port, and via their ethernet interface. The former is slower and lower-resolution than the latter, which is why you perceive a difference between the spectrum display provided by RSBA-1 and the spectrum displays provided by N1MM, RumLog, Win4IcomSuite, Icom Panadaptor, and DXLab -- not because "its hard to design such a broad spectrum of radio use" as you say above. While these applications generate slower, lower-resolution spectrum displays, the generated displays are more than sufficient to clearly identify signals. And unlike RSBA-1, they are able to overlay useful information captured from other sources -- like the callsigns of active stations.

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 09:24:10 AM »

Today, Icom released firmware version 1.11 for the IC-7610 that corrects the "missing preamble in scope data packet" defect in firmware version 1.10.

KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 08:12:28 AM »

I was not knocking the other logging software programs just make users aware that they will not get the resolution but the ability to see the spectrum with the packet spots above is a very useful tool in the heat of the battle. I don't write software for a living just a retired RF Tech so although it would be nice to have a display like what the radio has and when used with the RSBA1 software  its not a huge problem for most but if you look at the guys who own Flex radio's they all feel the Icom's display is no were near as nice as there's and those guys seem to be more aggressive in there comments about Logging software extra's but the contesters that use these programs are just happy they do what they do.
I installed V1.11 yesterday and except for changing  the IP address in the spectrum display part of the program everything works as expected, it does seem to have better resolution then before cause when I look at the display on a pic on my QRZ page to the way it looks now its more defined. I would have to go back and load V1.06 and do a screen pic and then re load the V1.11 and take another pic to do a real comparison but I really think that would be a waste of time. On radio's like the 7300 which has no way of using an external monitor for a display these logging program offer a huge increase in the visual use of a larger spectrum display on ones personal computer.
I have to say that once Icom got what was the issue with this it did not take that long with the fix. They at first said that it was an issue with the third party programs at first cause the spectrum display worked with there's but enough folks gave feedback to them like yourself and others and I do remember talking to them myself a few times before they got the idea that something was missing. The one thing that most Japan based companies don't really have is a real active ham on there payroll, yes some of there USA employees have there ticket but very few are involved in HF, DXing or contesting so unless they end up using these third party programs they really have no idea. I'm just glad we didn't have to wait till October. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: