The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for low noise LED light strips  (Read 2449 times)
KB7TT

Ignore
« on: July 23, 2018, 01:25:07 PM »

I use several 12 inch lighting strips under the shelves in my shack but they create extra noise on 60 M and up... Does anyone have or know of a solution for under shelf lights that isn't noisy.

Inquiring minds must wonder,

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 03:11:02 PM »

LED's don't make noise, it's the switching power supplies.  I just did an LED lighting project where I powered some accent lights using an inexpensive doorbell transformer and an adjustable voltage regulator as a current limiter.  If fixed brightness is OK then it's even simpler.  Years ago when I did my kitchen, halogen lights were all the rage and the supplies for those sucked too.  Ended up going with xenon at line voltage.  I work with a company doing LED power modules that are very low noise, made by Efore/ROAL.  They're both voltage adjustable and dimmable but more expensive than a doorbell transformer...

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 03:04:59 AM »

Forgot to mention since this is a "plug device" anyway (as opposed to a hard-wired wall/ceiling fixture) you can just find a quiet wall wart, drop the voltage as necessary and you're good to go.  Could even tap off of a station 12V supply if you wanted.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 03:20:06 AM by K5LXP » Logged
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 01:45:05 PM »

I use several 12 inch lighting strips under the shelves in my shack but they create extra noise on 60 M and up... Does anyone have or know of a solution for under shelf lights that isn't noisy.

Inquiring minds must wonder,

Linear/analog power supply, NOT switch Mode Power Supply.
Take a feed from your station 12 volt DC power, and depending on current draw, use a simple
but appropriately sized adjustable DC series regulator from any number of examples like this;

REF:  https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/blog/variable-voltage-power-supply.html

Cheers,

Neal
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 01:46:37 PM »

LED's don't make noise, it's the switching power supplies.  I just did an LED lighting project where I powered some accent lights using an inexpensive doorbell transformer and an adjustable voltage regulator as a current limiter.  If fixed brightness is OK then it's even simpler.  Years ago when I did my kitchen, halogen lights were all the rage and the supplies for those sucked too.  Ended up going with xenon at line voltage.  I work with a company doing LED power modules that are very low noise, made by Efore/ROAL.  They're both voltage adjustable and dimmable but more expensive than a doorbell transformer...

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

Mark:

You forgot to mention where your company sells the LED power modules that are very low noise, made by Efore/ROAL?

Cheers,

Neal
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 04:43:19 PM »

You forgot to mention where your company sells the LED power modules that are very low noise, made by Efore/ROAL?

Figured anyone interested would dig for their own source, but here's the OEM's storefront:

https://efore.cdistore.com/

I do some supplier modification work with them.  I've got various LED panels I use for testing and while working I usually listen to AM radio, and even with my radio picking up stations hundreds of miles away right next to the modules while running I barely hear them.  2 feet away I don't hear them at all.  Just a bit of white noise for a second when it starts up, then nothing.  Other brands of lighting modules I've worked with over the years come through my radio on the other side of the room.  So while this isn't a conclusive test, it shows me that some are definitely better than others.  They seem to have a decent build quality consistently over the years and are available in a variety of function and power configurations.  More of a commercial product than consumer/retail but if you want to engineer your own lighting system they're worth a look.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 08:52:31 PM »

I've got various LED panels I use for testing and while working I usually listen to AM radio, and even with my radio picking up stations hundreds of miles away right next to the modules while running I barely hear them.  2 feet away I don't hear them at all.  Just a bit of white noise for a second when it starts up, then nothing.  Other brands of lighting modules I've worked with over the years come through my radio on the other side of the room.  So while this isn't a conclusive test, it shows me that some are definitely better than others.   

Guess this supplier was just smart enough to put their switching frequency in the 80m or 160m Ham band instead of the AM broadcast band. Better to pi$$ off a few hams than every AM radio owner!

Grin

Jim K6JH
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 02:29:23 AM »

put their switching frequency in the 80m or 160m Ham band instead of the AM broadcast band.

Next time I get a batch of these in I'll do a wide-span MF-UHF sweep with a pickup loop nearby.  Might reveal an in or out of band hot spot.  Being literally inches away though you'd think it wouldn't be that selective.  But we'll see.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 06:13:59 PM »

Hold on ham radio guy. Intervene inside the strip and apply d.c. You know how to do that.

Kraus
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 10:25:07 AM »

Hi

I am listening with both ears, my LED-strips are very silent hihi.
If you want your LED-strips to be silent in RFI, just feed them with classical power suplies with a transformer and not with a switching power suply or wallward.
The PSU are the problem not the LEDs.

73 Jos
KB7TT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 08:36:21 AM »

It is likely the wall wart causing the noise.  I power my strips with my 12 volt linear supply used for station accessories, no noise
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 08:04:36 AM »

why not place a .1 cap across the plus/minus supply line at the power supply.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 02:44:41 PM »

Assuming you have a master 12 V supply for your station, feed it off of your station 12V supply.  If it is not 12V then use a voltage regulator.  I rebuilt my station, and now feed everything that runs on 12V via a single 12 V quiet supply. 

See:
https://www.nk7z.net/rebuilding-the-shack/

for details on this, and also info on ferrites to use.

Thanks,
Dave
Amateur Radio: RFI help, Reviews, Setup information, and more...
https://www.nk7z.net
AE5GT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 05:18:25 PM »

This is what i use https://www.ebay.com/itm/1m-100m-Led-Tape-110V-220V-5630-5730-SMD-240Leds-m-Flexible-Led-Strip-Light/253782714239?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=553065046476&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

120 V with bridge rectifier......no switch mode ....zero noise

http://led-obzor.com/led-strips/led-strip-220v
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2018, 07:51:10 PM »

Getting rid of the Switching Mode Power Supply fixes all LED noise issues...  Smiley

Thanks,
Dave
Amateur Radio: RFI help, Reviews, Setup information, and more...
https://www.nk7z.net
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: