The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amateur Radio Stores in China?  (Read 1621 times)
KC2NLT

Ignore
« on: July 29, 2018, 11:24:19 PM »

Are there any amateur radio stores or any stores that sell portable transceivers (portable radios, for our Chinese readers) in either Hangzhou or Beijing?

Thanks.
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 12:23:39 AM »

http://www.arrl.org/news/cq-china
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 04:21:58 PM »

Have only been to a few in Hong Kong, and they were not impressive.  Very small, limited selection, and in broken English, they pester you relentlessly to buy something.  The Hong Kong, Shenzhen, Shanghai markets are a little different.  They have the HTs...Baofengs are probably the Cadillacs.  Every "brand" logo they can dream up are on those things.  Nobody is a ham dealer, and I'm not sure they even know what ham radio is, much less care.  Those HTs are sold as personal comm devices, and what a surprise, they're dual band right on the 2m/70cm allocations.

So if you're bored check it out, but don't expect too much.  HRO anywhere here at home is lightyears better than anything you'll see over there.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 04:23:59 PM by K9MHZ » Logged
AF7JA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 04:08:45 PM »

I lived in China for about eight years and finally returned to the states in 2014. It isn't hard to find uhf/vhf handhelds. I know I picked up a couple in Xian, I remember that I went to that mall to get some coffee beans.

I was in a radio club in Xinyang, Henan Province. There are a lot of unlicensed operators on those though. Even the guys in my bicycle riding club used them without licenses (it is not a particularly law abiding society, I never though of the US as being a restrained society until I lived in China).

Of course there are plenty on Taobao. If you are visiting China I would not recommend buying there. Very simply, due to inefficiencies in the market, most of the Chinese electronics are cheaper here in the US.
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 04:25:10 PM »

I tried to check out a radio store in Shenzen a few years ago, but since I was there during Chinese New Year, it was closed for the entire duration of my visit.  Maybe the next time I go visit...
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 10:02:57 AM »

If you are visiting China I would not recommend buying there. Very simply, due to inefficiencies in the market, most of the Chinese electronics are cheaper here in the US.
^^^^ This, definitely.
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 10:28:46 AM »

Anyone going to the Baofeng Outlet Mall?? Grin Grin
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 11:11:52 AM »

^^^That’s good comedy!

Probably next to the guys selling watches...”Hey boss, copy watch for you? Rolex, TAG Heuer, Breitling...come have look!”
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 12:03:52 PM »

I was in a radio club in Xinyang, Henan Province. There are a lot of unlicensed operators on those though. Even the guys in my bicycle riding club used them without licenses (it is not a particularly law abiding society, I never though of the US as being a restrained society until I lived in China).

Wow, I woulda thought, as an uninformed American, that the cops there would catch you and then shoot you behind the police station or something...   Cheesy
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 03:50:46 PM »

You should hear the sales pitches....”look, look, dual band, see!”

“Uh, OK....what are those bands, amateur radio bands?” (Telling a question, of course.)

“No, no...dual band, dual band. You want two, make you deal!”
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: