The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Huntsville (AL) Hamfest Aug 18 & 19, 2018  (Read 3336 times)
N4BCD

Ignore
« on: August 01, 2018, 09:20:58 AM »

2018 Huntsville Hamfest
“The World’s Friendliest Hamfest”
Saturday August 18, 9 AM to 4:30 PM
Sunday, August 19, 9 AM to 3 PM

Von Braun Center  (totally indoors, totally air conditioned)
700 Monroe Street, Huntsville, AL 35801

Admission:  $10,  under 12 free

Over 50 Commercial Dealers – sold out
Over 350 indoor Flea Market tables – 2 tables still available
Over 30 Forums from technical experts in multiple fields.

Hourly door prizes.
Daily main door prizes:    Saturday – Yaesu FTdx1200    Sunday - Icom IC-7200

VE Exams will begin at 10:00 sharp Saturday and Sunday in the curtained area outside the South Hall. Bring your original license, copy of same, any CSCEs you want to present. Also, a government-issued picture ID. The test fee is $10.00; $5.00 for students. CASH ONLY.

EXPANDED Youth Lounge – every year this activity is growing more popular.  Last year the Lounge included a GOTA station for voice & digital; look for even more this year.

DX Banquet on Saturday night.  This year’s speaker is Jim Fenstermaker K9JF, of the Z60A Kosovo first activation.  Tickets available at http://www.nadxc.org/nadxc-dinner-banquet-details/

DXCC card checking, including 160m.  Bring your filled out application & cards, then after checking your cards will be returned to you and the application forwarded to the League desk for DXCC credit. 

YL Breakfast at City Café Diner, 7 AM Sunday sponsored by HARLARC (Huntsville Area Young Ladies Amateur Radio Club)

Hospitality Suite in the adjacent Embassy Suites on Friday & Saturday nights.

Talk-In  146.94 PL 100Hz

More info at:  www.hamfest.org

Mark N4BCD
 Huntsville Hamfest Chairman
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 01:43:05 PM »

You didn't mention parking.  $5 under the center, and $5 across the street.  Limited space elsewhere.

Tickets last year were $8.  The 25% increase is justified by.......?  Certainly not the cost of gas, or German food at the Old Heidelberg.

N4BCD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 05:50:51 PM »

Our admission price has been $10 for several years.  That's the smallest admission price among the "big" hamfests -- Dayton, Orlando, and equal to Dallas. We're a non-profit, but we have to cover our costs.  What has gone up is price to park -- over which we have no control.
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 08:06:46 AM »

OK, my bad as far as the ticket price.  Shows my inattention to ticket details.  Yes, Huntsville is one of the best.  Especially here in the Southeast.

In view of the essentially "sold out" flea spaces, a constant irritation has been the non-ham related vendors who set up in the flea market area and take up a half dozen tables.  Jewelry, music CDs, etc.  I would think that in view of your high level of space rent, that you could limit it to just amateur radio, outdoors (related) gear, etc.

I look forward to this year's 'fest.

W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 06:36:45 AM »

In spite of me being a bit picayunish with my comments, you can find just about any part, piece or relic imaginable at the Hamfest.  And, you don't have to perspire to do so.  All the major manufacturers are there with their latest and greatest.

No other flea market and 'fest is totally indoors and air conditioned.  Rain or shine, it's one of the easiest to navigate of any I've ever attended.  And that includes Hamvention and Hamcation.

As for parking, if you get there early, you can always find a no-cost shady spot under the trees at a downtown park and canal complex.  A pleasant walk through the park, complete with ducks, geese and more than a few koi fish along the way.

Bring the kids or grand kids and take in the Rocket and Space museum afterwards. Or, if you like music history, there's the Muscle Shoals area and the state music museum and recording studio about 40 miles west in Muscle Shoals/Tuscumbia.  The Rolling Stones, believe it or not, recorded a couple of hits there as did Aretha Franklin and other '60s stars.  Worth the journey.  Rock, soul and the blues were every bit as big in Alabama as was country music.  Not many know that.

If you like German cuisine as I do, no other city in the Southeast can match what Huntsville has, thanks to Dr. Von Braun and his co-horts.

See you there.

Lee

KI4ZUQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 12:41:29 PM »

This will be my third time at Huntsville Hamfest. I enjoyed the first two and am sure I will enjoy this one! Gonna have mo' money this time! I intend to be there Sunday when the fleas want to flee!

Karl
KI4ZUQ
N1GNV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 03:16:48 PM »

No other flea market and 'fest is totally indoors and air conditioned.  Rain or shine, it's one of the easiest to navigate of any I've ever attended.  And that includes Hamvention and Hamcation.

Not exactly.  Major, all-indoor shows include Charlotte, NC; Raleigh, NC; Dallas, TX; and Fort Wayne, IN.
I will say that of all the shows I exhibit at, Huntsville has the best venue.  Looking forward, as always, to being there.  Stop on by and say hello!

73, John Bee, N1GNV
Quicksilver Radio
www.qsradio.com
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 03:22:57 PM by N1GNV » Logged

73 de John Bee, N1GNV
Quicksilver Radio
http://www.qsradio.com
See us at Dayton
And at Hamfests throughout the East Coast and Midwest
N4BCD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 07:02:45 AM »

Thanks for the complementary words John.  And we thank Quicksilver too for providing the solder stations to be used at the Youth Lounge.  See you in 8 days!

Mark N4BCD
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 06:00:24 PM »

No other flea market and 'fest is totally indoors and air conditioned.  Rain or shine, it's one of the easiest to navigate of any I've ever attended.  And that includes Hamvention and Hamcation.

Not exactly.  Major, all-indoor shows include Charlotte, NC; Raleigh, NC; Dallas, TX; and Fort Wayne, IN.
I will say that of all the shows I exhibit at, Huntsville has the best venue.  Looking forward, as always, to being there.  Stop on by and say hello!

73, John Bee, N1GNV
Quicksilver Radio
www.qsradio.com
OK.  Well, the others may be indoors, but in terms of size, I'd bet that only Hamvention and Hamcation have larger draws.  Huntsville is usually at least the League state convention, if not the SE Division convention. 

N1GNV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 06:50:06 AM »

OK.  Well, the others may be indoors, but in terms of size, I'd bet that only Hamvention and Hamcation have larger draws.  Huntsville is usually at least the League state convention, if not the SE Division convention. 

I agree.  Huntsville and Dallas are more or less tied for #3 in the country.  And I correct myself -- at their new location, Dallas Ham-Com does have outdoor tailgating. 

73 de John Bee, N1GNV
Quicksilver Radio
http://www.qsradio.com
See us at Dayton
And at Hamfests throughout the East Coast and Midwest
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 06:30:07 PM »

Hi Mark,

Another great hamfest in Huntsville. It’s my 7th in a row. I always stay st the Embassy Suites where there is free parking and a beautiful breezeway to the Von Braun Center. Great Forums again...headlined by Bob Heil. Keep up the great work, OM!

Frank
K4FMH

2018 Huntsville Hamfest
“The World’s Friendliest Hamfest”
Saturday August 18, 9 AM to 4:30 PM
Sunday, August 19, 9 AM to 3 PM

Von Braun Center  (totally indoors, totally air conditioned)
700 Monroe Street, Huntsville, AL 35801

Admission:  $10,  under 12 free

Over 50 Commercial Dealers – sold out
Over 350 indoor Flea Market tables – 2 tables still available
Over 30 Forums from technical experts in multiple fields.

Hourly door prizes.
Daily main door prizes:    Saturday – Yaesu FTdx1200    Sunday - Icom IC-7200

VE Exams will begin at 10:00 sharp Saturday and Sunday in the curtained area outside the South Hall. Bring your original license, copy of same, any CSCEs you want to present. Also, a government-issued picture ID. The test fee is $10.00; $5.00 for students. CASH ONLY.

EXPANDED Youth Lounge – every year this activity is growing more popular.  Last year the Lounge included a GOTA station for voice & digital; look for even more this year.

DX Banquet on Saturday night.  This year’s speaker is Jim Fenstermaker K9JF, of the Z60A Kosovo first activation.  Tickets available at http://www.nadxc.org/nadxc-dinner-banquet-details/

DXCC card checking, including 160m.  Bring your filled out application & cards, then after checking your cards will be returned to you and the application forwarded to the League desk for DXCC credit. 

YL Breakfast at City Café Diner, 7 AM Sunday sponsored by HARLARC (Huntsville Area Young Ladies Amateur Radio Club)

Hospitality Suite in the adjacent Embassy Suites on Friday & Saturday nights.

Talk-In  146.94 PL 100Hz

More info at:  www.hamfest.org

Mark N4BCD
 Huntsville Hamfest Chairman

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: