The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what happened to headphones with 1/4 plug?  (Read 1865 times)
K2JF

Ignore
« on: August 01, 2018, 05:49:00 PM »

Is it impossible to find a set of decent headphones that terminate in 1/4" plugs? Everything has the 1/8" plug and the 1/4" adaptor. What's the big deal about a set with the 1/4" plug? Find me one!!!!!
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 06:14:46 PM »

I think the Kenwood HS-5, designed for radio communications use, is still available.

And you can still get NOS Telex mono headphones on ebay for about  $10 a pair.
K2JF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 06:20:16 PM »

but how will the mono headphones play with the Yaesu FT 950 whose jack is wired for stereo??
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 06:37:00 PM »

I kept my 40 year old RadioShack stereo headphones with a 1/4" plug.  Still work great!
NE1U

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 06:55:57 PM »

I threw away the army surplus headphones with chamois muffs (that terminated in a 1/4 plug) I had long ago. I bought them from that surplus store in Lorain OH ... not remembering the name of it. Never did use the throat mike. Are those the ones your thinking about?

Now, I use a $70 Bluetooth connected headset. It has a 10 hour run time & recharges in maybe a little more than 30 minutes from dead. 10 hours is a long time even with a headset on. Also has 7.1 sound in case I listen to something else. My SDR uses stereo thru the headset to help separate CW signals ... getting back to ham radio. Roll Eyes

I do have a headset with a 1/4 plug. Stiff as h---. Gets caught on a sheet of paper. PITA  Sorry for being a jerk. But, I don't like the old stuff I had.
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 07:46:48 PM »

Is it impossible to find a set of decent headphones that terminate in 1/4" plugs? Everything has the 1/8" plug and the 1/4" adaptor. What's the big deal about a set with the 1/4" plug? Find me one!!!!!

Not be snide, just curious...

What's your issue/concern with phones that use the 1/8"-to-1/4" adapter set-up?

What would be the advantage to phones that come with a 1/4" plug installed rather than the adapter st-up?

If you don't want to use an adapter, why not acquire phones that you like and cut-off the 1/8" plug and install a 1/4" plug?

KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 07:55:08 PM »

but how will the mono headphones play with the Yaesu FT 950 whose jack is wired for stereo??

Depending on the circuit design, there may be no problem just using the mono plug in the stereo jack and
no harm from possible shorting out of one branch of the mono circuit. I'm quite sure that FT 950 isn't playing
in hi-fi stereo.

My guess is that rig is from a time when both stereo and mono headphones were available. There may be
a note in the manual.

On my rigs (which use 3.5 mm stereo jack wired for mono) I use 3.5 stereo plug to 1/4 inch adapters for my mono headphones. No problems. Circuits are appropriately designed.

I make the adapters or, in the case of the one I usually use, I buy a relatively expensive namebrand adapter (I think mine is a Sennheiser). Most of the cheap adapters available on line are poor quality and quickly become intermittent.

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 08:26:07 PM »

I think the reasons why headphones are now using 1/8" plugs is because everything is becoming smaller. 

You have a few choices. 1/8 to 1/4" adapters; cut the plug off and replace it with 1/4" or go buy a off-brand set of headphones with 1/4" plugs....usually NOS.

The market for 1/4" headphone plugs has dwindled down to the point where it isn't economical to make them.

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 03:29:20 AM »

What I like to do is use a low profile 1/4 to 1/8 adapter, then put a right angle 1/8" connector on the headset if it doesn't already have one.  Now the cord isn't sticking straight out of the radio and can be routed out of the way.

I make low profile 90 degree 1/8 connectors by taking a solder on 1/8 plug, bending the shield/strain relief back to 90 degrees from the plug and soldering the cable to the lugs.  Then I encapsulate it in 5 minute epoxy along with a bit of the cable to serve as a strain relief. 

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 07:06:48 AM »

Easy, peasy non-issue fix.  In fact, most headphones today are really good and lightyears better than the old 1/4" plug mono headsets of the past.  Heat up the soldering iron, and cut off the small plug.  Get a good quality metal 1/4" plug, and solder the leads to the tip and shield connections respectively.  I did this to a Sennheiser HD25-1, and works perfectly.  No, they're not 8 ohms...matters zero at these audio levels.
K4KYV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 06:23:55 PM »

Be careful cutting off the stock 1/8 plug and trying to replace it. You may end up ruining a $100 headset. Many of to-day's headphone cords are made of several strands of cotton thread each wrapped with a thin strip of copper.  Some don't even appear to be made of wire, but fibre thread impregnated with some kind of conductive compound.  This makes them flexible, but very difficult or impossible to make a secure solder connection.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2018, 06:45:57 PM »

I've been there and done that - cut a connector off the headset and found the non-metallic thread. You can't solder to it, all you can do is crimp it. I've had limited success with winding some thin copper wire around the thread, crimping it with pliers and then tinning it with solder. Messy!

I'd just make a short adaptor cable a few inches long with a 1/4 inch plug on one end and a 1/8 inch in-line jack on the other. That way you can bend it any direction you want as it comes out of the 1/4 inch plug. I've purchased 1/8 inch extension cables, left the 1/8 inch jack wired as-is and cut the cable a few inches from the jack then solder a 1/4 inch plug on the cut end. That way you don't have to deal with making connections on the small in-line jack.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
PBJOK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2018, 05:07:38 AM »

I threw away the army surplus headphones with chamois muffs (that terminated in a 1/4 plug) I had long ago. I bought them from that surplus store in Lorain OH ... not remembering the name of it. Never did use the throat mike. Are those the ones your thinking about?

Now, I use a $70 Bluetooth connected headset. It has a 10 hour run time & recharges in maybe a little more than 30 minutes from dead. 10 hours is a long time even with a headset on. Also has 7.1 sound in case I listen to something else. My SDR uses stereo thru the headset to help separate CW signals ... getting back to ham radio. Roll Eyes

I do have a headset with a 1/4 plug. Stiff as h---. Gets caught on a sheet of paper. PITA  Sorry for being a jerk. But, I don't like the old stuff I had.

Then stop being one. What's with all the extraneous shit? Nobody cares.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 05:17:26 AM »

K2JF,

Your call sign is extra class?

And folks, head phones are not monaural. They are stereo, left, right, stereo.

Kraus

N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 10:44:22 AM »

I do have a headset with a 1/4 plug. Stiff as h---. Gets caught on a sheet of paper. PITA  Sorry for being a jerk. But, I don't like the old stuff I had.

Then stop being one. What's with all the extraneous shit? Nobody cares.

Take your own advice, nobody cares about your anonymous (gutless) trolling.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: