The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shipping amps  (Read 4751 times)
K2LGO

Ignore
« on: August 02, 2018, 08:05:45 AM »

I am very dubious about offering a SB-220 for sale because of considerations in shipping...I would appreciate any experiences , and or recommendations you might have had shipping a heavy amp...I was turned off some years ago by a local UPS, self professed shipping expert who shipped some radio gear (much lighter than an amp) and wound up damaging the radio because of his LIMITED knowledge in packaging...
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 08:16:02 AM »

I would remove HV transformer from chassis and pack separately. Same with tubes.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K2LGO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 08:19:55 AM »

I would remove HV transformer from chassis and pack separately. Same with tubes.
Of course that is a good idea John, but not everyone is capable of soldering the x-former back in again....but its food for thought....The tubes of course have to go separately..

W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 08:23:48 AM »

I ship amps all the time and been doing so for about 40 years.  Early on it seemed no matter how well I packed them UPS could manage to destroy them.  I switched over to Fed Ex and haven’t looked back since.  They haven’t damaged anything on me since I switched.  I ship SB220 amps most of the time but I do ship others.  With the 220’s I double box them fist box is 18X18.  I line bottom top and all sides with rigid foam insulation and set the amp inside after it’s been bubble wrapped.  Once that box is full I cut the sides down in the corners and fold them in so there is no air space.  That box goes into another box 20X20 also lined with rigid foam bottom top and all sides.  When full I cut the corners down and fold in and tape.  Then I use black marker and wrote DO NOT DROP on all sides and top and put on commercial electronic equipment stickers fragile.  I send Fed Ex ground.  That’s been working flawlessly for me for many years now.
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 08:24:43 AM »

Yes tubes go separately
K2LGO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 08:42:00 AM »

I ship amps all the time and been doing so for about 40 years.  Early on it seemed no matter how well I packed them UPS could manage to destroy them.  I switched over to Fed Ex and haven’t looked back since.  They haven’t damaged anything on me since I switched.  I ship SB220 amps most of the time but I do ship others.  With the 220’s I double box them fist box is 18X18.  I line bottom top and all sides with rigid foam insulation and set the amp inside after it’s been bubble wrapped.  Once that box is full I cut the sides down in the corners and fold them in so there is no air space.  That box goes into another box 20X20 also lined with rigid foam bottom top and all sides.  When full I cut the corners down and fold in and tape.  Then I use black marker and wrote DO NOT DROP on all sides and top and put on commercial electronic equipment stickers fragile.  I send Fed Ex ground.  That’s been working flawlessly for me for many years now.
Good Morning Lou....Well of course everyone knows you work on amps, and probably ship plenty of them, but for the average ham who just has one to ship its a whole learning and acquiring process to get the proper box, and then the rigid foam....I know its available...But by the time you do acquire the proper packing material, I would gladly pay a packer an extra $50.00 to do it, if I could just find a competent packer...As I alluded to in the original post, when you ask them they all have experience, but the actuality and the outcome of their expertise is often quite different than the spiel they give you... 
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 08:57:25 AM »

I have had good luck with Fed-Ex, as well...  Solid state, so tubes were not an issue.  I would remove the tubes, ship them seperately, or inside the main box, but in their own box.  I would also suggest that the recipient wash them down with alcohol to remove any finger oils and allow to dry prior to re-installation.

Thanks,
Dave
Amateur Radio: RFI help, Reviews, Setup information, and more...
https://www.nk7z.net
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 09:25:08 AM »

I sometimes think that placing labels saying "do not drop" or "fragile" decreases chances for survival. I do agree that FedEx does tend to be a bit easier on things though. How you pack is most important and if you ship amp mostly intact, I would ship in a box in a box with a layer of foam or peanuts between boxes.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 09:48:57 AM »

I've had Acoms 1000 and 1500 shipped to me by Array Solutions and DX Engineering respectively, through UPS, intact. Tubes (ceramic and metal tetrodes) and transformers were not shipped separately. So far, lucky I guess. Not to say they couldn't have been damaged. Crap shoot as to how they're handled. Agree that heavier transformers and glass-enveloped tubes should be shipped separately.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 09:58:16 AM »

If you are really worried add a "Shock Watch" to the package in a  few places... I have NEVER had a package damaged which had a "shock watch" or two on it.  I also put them inside the package.  It pins down who did damage in an instant, and for the price you can't beat them.  See:
https://www.spotsee.io/impact

Thanks,
Dave
Amateur Radio: RFI help, Reviews, Setup information, and more...
https://www.nk7z.net
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 10:36:50 AM »

QJ:  There are 3 areas that need to be considered when shipping heavy tube type gear.

1- The heavy transformer with the great possibility of it distorting the chassis if dropped or mishandled.

2- Tubes, which of course can be properly packed and shipped separately.

3- The one problem I've never seen addressed is the protruding knobs.  How to you address this problem? (For those who need more info, the protruding knobs take a hit and shoves the front panel, bending  or breaking something!)

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 10:45:16 AM »

Alpha used to ship reparied amps back to customers on a pallet - and used Fed-Ex freight. 

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 11:35:29 AM »

Of course that is a good idea John, but not everyone is capable of soldering the x-former back in again....but its food for thought....The tubes of course have to go separately..

Then buy the plug & harness for the SB-221 which is what many do with a 220. Ive been shipping in my own double boxed packaging for several decades and they dont get damaged even with the transformer in place.

With plenty of the large size bubble wrap all around and on top of the tubes with cover in place they ride as safely as bubble wrapped in other boxes and are less prone to get tossed around Roll Eyes

I havent had any losses yet over several hundred SB-220 series amps shipped worldwide.

Carl
AC2RY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 08:24:44 PM »

Good Morning Lou....Well of course everyone knows you work on amps, and probably ship plenty of them, but for the average ham who just has one to ship its a whole learning and acquiring process to get the proper box, and then the rigid foam....I know its available...But by the time you do acquire the proper packing material, I would gladly pay a packer an extra $50.00 to do it, if I could just find a competent packer...As I alluded to in the original post, when you ask them they all have experience, but the actuality and the outcome of their expertise is often quite different than the spiel they give you...  

If you pack yourself - you can make sure it is done right. To do it right with commercial packer will cost you money well above what materials you need to buy for self packing. This is why shipping something that is heavy and fragile at the same time costs a lot. So if anyone offers shipping for less than $100 - stay away, they won't do the job properly.

It does not matter if you do shipping regularly or once upon a time. Amount of materials will be the same. But in the latter case it will cost you more, so get ready for this.

AC2RY

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2018, 08:30:19 PM »

3- The one problem I've never seen addressed is the protruding knobs.  How to you address this problem? (For those who need more info, the protruding knobs take a hit and shoves the front panel, bending  or breaking something!)

I did ship few very expensive devices with knobs. It takes a pack of hard styrofoam, saw, glue and a lot of effort to build shaped panel around knobs to support weight of device and keep knobs in air pockets without touching box walls. Of cause double boxing is a must too.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: