The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shipping amps  (Read 4740 times)
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 09:57:54 PM »

RY:  TY

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2018, 08:40:27 AM »

I did ship few very expensive devices with knobs. It takes a pack of hard styrofoam, saw, glue and a lot of effort to build shaped panel around knobs to support weight of device and keep knobs in air pockets without touching box walls. Of cause double boxing is a must too.

Since I ship amps plus restore and ship all sorts of vintage RX and TX gear my foolproof method is to use thick soft foam as used in sofa cushions with areas hollowed out for knobs, meters, bezels, etc. That is then covered with 1" of hard foam with 2" used elsewhere. I get the foam in useable scrap sizes from a local furniture restorer. That is the inside box, then another 2" of hard foam is used on all sides for the outer box.

It takes considerable time to do it right and not act as a typical cheap ham or other Fleabay seller.

Carl
KM4AH

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2018, 10:21:09 AM »

I ship mostly chainsaws. But, I have shipped an IC-781 and a TS-950SDX overseas with no problems.
I buy 24 inch wide bubble wrap on a 40 inch diameter roll from a box surplus distributor for $40 per roll.
If you put it in a box where it can't move with about 10 inches of bubble wrap in every direction it will be fine. You just can't buy the bubble wrap from a retail store because it will break you.
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2018, 11:36:53 AM »

UPS will not honor damage claims for just bubble wrap for heavy items. READ their guidelines. AND I doubt FedWrex or USPS will either
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2018, 02:59:16 PM »

Received an SB 220 today via UPS that was packed by a 3rd party.  Not packaged correctly and slightly damaged.  I'll have some straightening to do, but it could have been worse. 
N8CBX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2018, 05:57:45 PM »

UPS will not honor damage claims for just bubble wrap for heavy items.
Well, the UPS store doesn't understand how to package heavy items anyway, 20 years ago.
I purchased a 73 Capri transmission from California, and the stupid UPS store actually "foamed" the tranny in a cardboard box. When it arrived, it was more outside the box than inside, but they did honor the claim because their store did the wonderful packaging. (It was junk, a total loss)
Jan N8CBX

Dayton Ohio - The Birthplace of Aviation
KM4AH

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2018, 06:57:31 PM »

UPS will not honor damage claims for just bubble wrap for heavy items. READ their guidelines. AND I doubt FedWrex or USPS will either

Well, I have shipped a lot of equipment. Never had a claim. I always assumed that they wouldn't honor a claim anyway unless they ran over it or stuck a fork in it, regardless of how well you think you had it packed. Bubble wrap works fine, you just have to use enough of it.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2018, 08:33:39 PM »

My ham shack has a window that looks at the front door of the home. I watched the UPS driver drop the amplifier package  from 4 feet up onto my door step. I ran out to confront him about his lack of professionalism and as it turned out the frame of the Alpha 86 was bent from his lack of knowledge of kinetic energy. It took 4 months to have UPS make good on the damage claim.

I use only Fed-X for shipping.
N7EKU

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2018, 09:05:13 PM »

It'sreally not too bad to do,

For the boxes, you can get them at the post office, moving companies, or other shipping places like FedEx etc.

For the foam board, you can get it at HomeDepot etc for $30 or so for a 4'x8'x2" sheet.

For protecting the front, I place the unit's back side on the foam and mark it.  Then cut out a piece that size.    Then set its front side onto the foam so that the knobs make marks on the foam.  Then cut out the spaces for the knobs with a carving knife or one of those hacksaw blade handles.  Or if it's not too hard, just take all the knobs off and set the front down on the foam so that the shafts punch holes in the foam board.  Once you have that done, just tape it onto the front securely.  Now the unit is 2" bigger in one dimension, but the front side is all protected.

Now just pack it with foam board in a box at least 2" bigger on all sides.  Make sure there is no "air space" as you don't want the equipment to be able to bounce around.  Then put that box in another that is at least 2" bigger on all sides and pad that with foam board.

The main thing is to pack it tightly and to end up with 4" of foam board all around.  If there is wiggle space, then the equipment can build up momentum in movement and start compressing and then breaking down the foam inside.

Mark

Mark -- N7EKU/VE3
W6OU

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2018, 04:34:32 AM »

You can cut neat holes in foam with an electric foam knife in a well ventilated area.
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2018, 04:12:37 PM »

I wouldnt place hard foam up against meters, knobs, etc...just asking for trouble.

I used to build all sorts of hot knife foam projects when at a microwave antenna company and we had a pair of state of the art anechoic chambers.
W8NF

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2018, 07:20:43 PM »

Good Morning Lou....Well of course everyone knows you work on amps, and probably ship plenty of them, but for the average ham who just has one to ship its a whole learning and acquiring process to get the proper box, and then the rigid foam....I know its available...But by the time you do acquire the proper packing material, I would gladly pay a packer an extra $50.00 to do it, if I could just find a competent packer...As I alluded to in the original post, when you ask them they all have experience, but the actuality and the outcome of their expertise is often quite different than the spiel they give you... 

Robert, here in Oregon anyway, you can get the boxes and rigid foam from Home Depot or our local Kroger franchise, which is known as Fred Meyer.

I have shipped many amplifiers using the UPS store to ship.  They charge $31.29 to use a 24 x 24 x 24 box and will use as many inches of rigid foam as is required to pack the amp.  For something like an SB-220, I wrap it in 2 inches of bubble wrap, then take it to the UPS store.  Drawback of the 24 x 24 x 24 box is that via "dimensional weight", it costs more to ship than a box that is merely 6" larger than the amp in each direction.

Amp companies have been shipping amps via UPS and Fedex for literally 50 years and I haven't heard any of them complaining about loss issues.

Dave W8NF
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2018, 07:56:26 AM »

The frequency in which one ships amps has nothing to do with the necessity of packing the amp properly for shipment.  It does cost a considerable amount to purchase good boxes and packing materials.  It cost me about $125.00 to properly pack and ship an SB-220 for instance to the west coast.  I try to reuse packing materials if possible to reduce that cost when possible.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2018, 08:22:00 AM »

I ship amps all the time and been doing so for about 40 years.  Early on it seemed no matter how well I packed them UPS could manage to destroy them.  I switched over to Fed Ex and haven’t looked back since.  They haven’t damaged anything on me since I switched.  I ship SB220 amps most of the time but I do ship others.  With the 220’s I double box them fist box is 18X18.  I line bottom top and all sides with rigid foam insulation and set the amp inside after it’s been bubble wrapped.  Once that box is full I cut the sides down in the corners and fold them in so there is no air space.  That box goes into another box 20X20 also lined with rigid foam bottom top and all sides.  When full I cut the corners down and fold in and tape.  Then I use black marker and wrote DO NOT DROP on all sides and top and put on commercial electronic equipment stickers fragile.  I send Fed Ex ground.  That’s been working flawlessly for me for many years now.
Good Morning Lou....Well of course everyone knows you work on amps, and probably ship plenty of them, but for the average ham who just has one to ship its a whole learning and acquiring process to get the proper box, and then the rigid foam....I know its available...But by the time you do acquire the proper packing material, I would gladly pay a packer an extra $50.00 to do it, if I could just find a competent packer...As I alluded to in the original post, when you ask them they all have experience, but the actuality and the outcome of their expertise is often quite different than the spiel they give you... 

The last time I shipped an amp (a Hallicrafters HT-33A), I was hesitant with concerns about it getting there safely. Originally I was selling it as local pickup only. A buyer in California really wanted the HT-33A. He specified where to get the box and described the packing method that Lou W1QJ uses. As requested by the buyer, I also removed the power transformer and tube and shipped those in separate boxes (also all with rigid foam, double boxed w/ rigid foam, etc). You know what? The amp made it there 100% safe and had a happy buyer / collector.

Most of the time though... I still prefer to pickup / drop-off personally when I can. Less hassle, guaranteed safe delivery / pickup plus you get to meet the person. When Lou did some work on my SB-200 it was a nice short trip up there and it was great to sit and talk radio/dx with Lou! (The amp is still working great, btw... ole' reliable)
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2018, 08:47:53 AM »

Boxes are not that expensive when buying from a local box company. Ones Ive dealt with will sell singles to individuals and I usually buy at the next price break which is 5 or 10 and a lot less per unit.

If a 24 cubed is way too big why not at least trim the height which can reduce the dimensional weight penalty?  No rocket science involved.

Carl
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: