The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shipping amps  (Read 4733 times)
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2018, 04:58:30 PM »

If I have to ship something and make sure that it gets there intact, I take it to a commercial and industrial packing service.  They've shipped everything from a fire pump to a painting that sold at auction for about $200,000.

For small items like a IC-R7000, it was a double walled box with foam in place protection.  About $55 to ship the rig UPS.

For heavier items, like the Racal RA-1795, it would be a custom made wooden crate, with foam in place protection, and sent air freight.
The estimate was about $500 to air freight a 50 pound receiver to California.

Why air freight?  Air freight means less handling compared to ground transport.  The more your shipment is handled, the greater the chance of damage.

If you're using a commercial/industrial packing service, ask if they photograph your shipment.  The service I use takes four to six photos of every shipment.  They're a great help in a damage claim.

And ask the service how many of their claims were denied.  My guy has had only one claim denied and paid that out-of-pocket to keep his record clean   
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2018, 07:07:54 AM »

I have shipped equipment all over the world. I use the same method every time. I wrap the item being shipped in plastic garbage bags then tape closed with masking tape. I apply a layer of expanding foam to the bottom of the box and let it sit for 15 minutes. I then place the wrapped item on top, centered in the box. I then fill the interior of the box with more expanding foam. When it gets to the top of the box I close the box and tape solidly around all sides and seams.

I was told by one ham it took him a half an hour to get the radio out, but it arrived completely intact. And the foam doesn't add much weight to the box. The plastic wrap completely protects it from foam touching any equipment.

Max VE3TMT
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2018, 08:01:56 AM »

I too would wrap in a plastic bag but I would pack in in a boxed with Styrofoam peanuts and insert that box into another box surrounded by peanuts again. I have had out box damaged or torn but inner box is undamaged and item as well. I once shipped a 125lb 4x4 transfer case via FedEx ground. I packed it in a double walled box lined with 1/4 inch plywood and placed cut Styrofoam blocks and peanuts around it tightly and then place that in another double walled box with one inch thick Styrofoam blocks around it. It survived shipping to California with some damage to outer box but inner one and Tcase was intact.   

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2018, 08:44:03 AM »

I ship many amps and on my web are instructions how to wrap an amplifier correctly (the way I do anyways and have never had issue)...

Write down your NAME, ADDRESS, EMAIL ADDRESS, SHIPPING INFO and PHONE NUMBER on a separate piece of paper and place it on the top of the amplifer.

Remove the bottom feet from the amplifier and keep (or bag separate and place in box if selling your amplifier)

Wrap the amplifier in a bag FIRST, before any packaging. Be sure the power cord is OUTSIDE the bag.

Insert wrapped amplifier into first box very TIGHT. (you may use original box)

Insert first box into a second box with at least 3" padding all the way around it, pack it TIGHT.

If using the original OEM boxes , use a THIRD non-OEM box to keep the original box from getting trashed.

Send FEDEX GROUND,  (This will cost about $52 to $68(typical)
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2018, 09:44:46 AM »

Dont forget to get a photo of serial # or other identifying data as some equipment has a a habit of getting "lost" and then showing up on Ebay.

I also had one ham in Dallas claim not received (stupid me, no signature required) and then the amp showed up on Ebay. The Dallas police showed up as the buyers along with a TV crew courtesy of my contacts in HAMB (type into Google) who are quite popular down there. Seems this dirtbag scammed others.

If you ever get to the Mokan dragway for the yearly HAMB Drags enjoy them, 8/18 this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU1h7yFXC68

Carl
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2018, 09:58:23 AM »

Dont forget to get a photo of serial # or other identifying data as some equipment has a a habit of getting "lost" and then showing up on Ebay.

I also had one ham in Dallas claim not received (stupid me, no signature required) and then the amp showed up on Ebay. The Dallas police showed up as the buyers along with a TV crew courtesy of my contacts in HAMB (type into Google) who are quite popular down there. Seems this dirtbag scammed others.

If you ever get to the Mokan dragway for the yearly HAMB Drags enjoy them, 8/18 this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU1h7yFXC68

Carl

Always get photo before, during and after packing.

KA5ROW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2018, 09:31:35 AM »

I bought a Heathkit SB-221 they shipped in with tubes in sockets The amp was in bad shape. But it worked fine. no broke tubes. I striped down the amp to bare chase replace every thing with new parts except transformers and tuning cap's.

So If you pack it right you should be ok.   
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2018, 10:26:54 AM »

I bought a Heathkit SB-221 they shipped in with tubes in sockets The amp was in bad shape. But it worked fine. no broke tubes. I striped down the amp to bare chase replace every thing with new parts except transformers and tuning cap's.

So If you pack it right you should be ok.   

I would never ship amp with tubes in sockets. They would tend to vibrate like tuning forks with road vibration and more likely to be damaged. You were lucky.

KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2018, 12:28:12 PM »

I would never ship amp with tubes in sockets. They would tend to vibrate like tuning forks with road vibration and more likely to be damaged. You were lucky.

With large bubble foam all around the pair of 3-500's plus on top and compressed a bit with the cover Ive shipped HUNDREDS , all over the world of the SB-220 family, most converted to 6M, with ZERO tube damage. The double boxed external packing is as I have already described and absorbs vibrations better than shipping the tubes separately which tends to get them thrown.

OTOH I did get an AL-80A in for conversion with the tube in the socket and no padding. That arrived with all pins sheared off at the socket, the anode cooler weld broken off to the top cap and the evacuation nipple on the bottom broken off. Yet the envelope is still intact. I show that photo often to those who dont understand some basic physics.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2018, 01:23:00 PM »

With large bubble foam all around the pair of 3-500's plus on top and compressed a bit with the cover Ive shipped HUNDREDS , all over the world of the SB-220 family, most converted to 6M, with ZERO tube damage. The double boxed external packing is as I have already described and absorbs vibrations better than shipping the tubes separately which tends to get them thrown.

That can work but myself I would pull tubes from sockets and wrap them and then pack them inside amp at very least.

N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2018, 12:11:15 PM »

Regardless of how well you pack something, some slob will figure out how to damage it.

Some years ago, I purchased a wooden shipping crate with foam (upholstery grade) to ship an AN/APT-5 jamming transmitter to the Signal Corps museum.  Now the APT-5 was designed into places where there was a heck of lot of "lead" flying around, Berlin, Tokyo, etc.  Its front panel is about 3/8" thick, like the 390A.

The crate arrived at the museum with no visible signs of damage.  But, when the APT-5 was removed from the crate, the upper right corner of the front panel was bent.  None of the glass envelope tubes were broken, but the front panel was bent.

Huh
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2018, 04:11:41 PM »

Id say the packing wasnt sufficient as the equipment had to MOVE in order to bend the panel and there was no external damage.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2018, 05:33:34 AM »

Herr LGO,

This is ham radio. Everyone can solder.

Kraus
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: