The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QST Review of IC7610?  (Read 6204 times)
K2TPZ

Ignore
« on: August 05, 2018, 12:17:54 PM »

Usually by this time in the roll out of a new rig there would be a QST Review. It seems strange that there hasn’t been a review by June or July. It makes me think the Engineer at QST found some problems and sent the rig back to Icom to allow them to make a fix. I can’t see any other reason we’ve not seen a review. What do you think?
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 12:59:55 PM »

Usually by this time in the roll out of a new rig there would be a QST Review. It seems strange that there hasn’t been a review by June or July. It makes me think the Engineer at QST found some problems and sent the rig back to Icom to allow them to make a fix. I can’t see any other reason we’ve not seen a review. What do you think?

I think you need to be more patient.   Wink
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 08:36:10 AM »

Elecraft has a comparison of the 7610 vs the K3s on their site.
Art
K2TPZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 08:56:24 AM »

I think the K3s is an excellent rig and I’ve read the comparison chart. But I think the Icom might be a little easier to navigate and it includes a scope (of soughts) and a second receiver. I am keeping both in mind as I spend most of my hamming on 40-30-20 CW. I just want to read the QST review (I’ve read the QST Review of the K3/K3s) of the Icom before making a rig decision. Thanks for your input.

Mike
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 09:08:31 AM »

Can't go wrong with either one. But a loaded K3S with P3 panadapter is over $ 3,700 more than a 7610.
WB8LBZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 09:37:14 AM »

When test equipment is needed to differentiate between receivers chances are your ear won't hear the difference - other factors become more important, ease of use, ergonomics or price. I see the best traditional Icom transceivers are now in price competition with lower price rigs. Will the $11K radio make your QSO more enjoyable than will one that costs one tenth as much? I see the feature rich radios from 5 years ago staying in the for sale ads for weeks. The 7610 has been devastating to the sale of the older top of the line rigs. All the older rigs do is look great in shack pictures.

73, Larry  WB8LBZ
El Paso, TX
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 02:28:01 PM »

I think the K3s is an excellent rig and I’ve read the comparison chart. But I think the Icom might be a little easier to navigate and it includes a scope (of soughts) and a second receiver......
Mike
The K3S "scope" as well as the second receiver are options, and are not included.  Also, you will need crystal filters for each receiver.
N6MST

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 02:35:20 PM »

Peter Hart reviewed the IC-7610 in the June issue of RadCom.
KC0W

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 04:26:15 PM »

Elecraft has a comparison of the 7610 vs the K3s on their site.
Art

Nope, it's an IC-7300 they are comparing to a K3s.

Here:  http://www.elecraft.com/K3/K3S%20vs.%20IC-7300,%20rev.%20A13.pdf

Tom KC0W
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 08:26:41 AM »

Judging as far as how many big radio's QST has reviewed in the past couple of months seems like the ARRL have some budget cuts, might have to wait a while before we see there review. If you want some lab numbers go to DJ0IP's site were he has posted Sherwood lab tests plus Rob's comments of the radio he is reviewing. These review are not as glamorous as the ARRL ones but Rob is direct and to the point for the radio reviewed, no fill or BS like the ARRL ones. What I find interesting is the K3S review that the ARRL has done is done by a K3,K3S owner and when you look at Sherwoods review of the same radio plus it's almost at the top of his receiver list he doesn't over glorify the K3S but brings out it's shortcomings as well.
What I find interesting is Elecraft seem to compare any radio to there own which hurts the sales of there own, back when they came out with the K2 they were comparing it to a FT1000MP, yup and back then they thought that radio even came close but anyone with a brain new that was not even close. Fast forward to today with there comparisons of either Icom's 7300 and now the 7610 well for every K3S they sell Icom sells 50 7300's and with the 7610 it would be more like 10 7610's to every K3S. Lets face facts the 7610 is a bargain compared to a K3S with a panadapter plus all the options like second RX plus all the extras at way over $5K. There not the same value like when the K3 came out and as far as phase noise goes these new Icom's do a very good job, as far as blocking numbers the Elecraft still is higher but to me lower phase noise is much more important and block above 120db is in the real world is what you need. Any overload in the SDR receivers is easily compensated with only a slight amount of the RF gain control which in a SDR RX is more like a very fine tuned variable attenuator control.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 10:19:08 AM »

Maybe the ARRL cant afford to buy a new 7610 in order to test it? I don't think that Icom donates them to do the testing !
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 01:26:23 PM »

Maybe the ARRL cant afford to buy a new 7610 in order to test it? I don't think that Icom donates them to do the testing !

ARRL does not accept "donated" equipment for review.

They "blind" purchase all the gear they review.
Neither the retailer nor the manufacturer knows that ARRL has made the purchase.

And they purchase lot of expensive gear for review -- so cost isn't a driving factor.

As descried in a QST article in 2004, the testing/evaluation process is very detailed and takes quite a while.
See: http://www.qsl.net/4/4z4tl/pub/arrl_test_2004.pdf"

There are always several items "in the pipeline" -- so it can take several months before a newly released piece of gear can be acquired and reviewed.

SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 02:25:27 PM »

KS2G,
 That's interesting to know, thanks for the info.
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 05:54:51 PM »

and every once in a while I have seen a listing in QST of recent equipment that they have bought and used for evaluation and testing, for sale at reduced "demonstrator with low mileage" prices.

73, Ed

W5TD

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 08:48:27 PM »

Peter Hart reviewed the IC-7610 in the June issue of RadCom.

What did he have to say about it?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: